[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Summer Schedule: Modified

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 00:45:26 UTC 2012

This is a NEW VERSION of our special summer edition of the Hawk Talk.

First of all, I want to thank all who attended our chapter picnic on Saturday, June 9.  Also many thanks for all the delicious food you brought.  I hope you all had a great time, and enjoyed listening to our special speaker, Jenny Blinsmon, who talked about her journey in becoming a complete homemaker despite her blindness.  Also thanks to Linda and Tony Gimble for bringing their puppy who is scheduled to become a guide dog in the future. She was a real sweetheart!

Note that the one modification to our summer schedule is that our riding the Loop Bus will now be on Saturday, July 14, not Friday, July 13.  All other details of that night remain the same.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 - We will be riding the Loop! What is The Loop Bus?  The Loop runs around the Quad-Cities, making stops at such recreational spots as Bass Street Landing, Moline; Isle of Capri, Bettendorf; Village of East Davenport; downtown Davenport; The District, Rock Island; and back to Moline.  You can get off at whatever stops you want, then later jump back on board to continue your adventure.

We will catch the clockwise Loop bus at 5:27 PM. The pickup point will be on the north side of River Drive just west of 15th Street, Moline.  That is near the i Wireless Center.  I suggest you be there no later than 5:15 as buses sometimes run early.  We will then ride the bus to The District in downtown Rock Island, eating dinner at a restaurant there.  After dinner, we will reboard the bus and make stops at nightspots in downtown Davenport and the Village of East Davenport.  Then back to Moline, which might be around 11 PM.  Note that if you get pooped, you can skip a stop and simply ride the bus back to Moline at any time.  The cost of a bus pass for the evening is $3, and please have exact change.

Arrangements will be made to provide rides home for everyone who needs one.

August 11, 2012 - Swim Party and Pizza at the Montgomery's.  Thanks to Lois and Russ, we will again have a Blackhawk Chapter swim party. It will be at their home at 3527 12th Avenue, Moline.  Plan on arriving around 3 PM.  We will have pizza and soda for dinner, and we ask for a $5 donation to cover food and drink costs. Everyone may bring snacks or special beverages of their choice.