[il-talk] Chicago chapter minutes february 2012

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 5 20:52:09 UTC 2012

NFBI CHICAGO CHAPTER
February 11, 2012
Exchequer Pub and Restaurant
226 S. Wabash, Chicago

CALL TO ORDER

President David Meyer called the meeting to order at 1:00 PM.

PROGRAM

David Flament, head of Adaptive Technologies at the Guild for the Blind,
presented a program about accessible social networking.  He explained the
advantages of using more than one screen reader, as some work better than
others in certain situations.  The Guild offers classes on using NVDA, a
free screen reader that is a good alternative at times.  m.facebook.com  is
a screen reader-friendly way to use Facebook.

ATTENDANCE AND HEALTH CONCERNS

Dave explained that Patti Chang is recovering after two weeks of illness.
Gina Falvo is still undergoing chemotherapy, and Dave urged us to keep  her
in our thoughts and prayers.  Teresa Meyer will have to have a hip
replacement and a knee replacement.  Debbie Pittman reported that her
husband Ronnie had surgery yesterday.  Allen Glickman has been in the
hospital with bronchitis and Roberta was hospitalized with walking
pneumonia.  Seventeen people were in attendance, including fifteen paid
members.  We did not have a quorum to approve the January minutes.

CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS

Dave Meyer read two proposed constitutional amendments that will be voted
on at the March meeting.  Article VI, Section A. says that at least  fifteen
members must be present at a regular meeting in order to transact  business.

The current constitution requires twenty members to be present.  Article
VI, Section B. says that at least fifteen members must be present to
transact business at a special meeting.  Again, this is a change from the
current constitution, which requires twenty members to be present.  We  must
have a two-thirds majority to enact an amendment.  Several members
expressed support for the proposed changes.  The proposed amendments will
be posted on Il-Talk and Newsline.

MEETING DATES

Because the NFBI parents' seminar will be held on April 14, the chapter
board has voted to hold our next Chicago Chapter meeting on April 7.   April
7 will be the date for the April meeting.

PRESIDENTIAL RELEASE

NFB President Dr. Marc Maurer reported that Jesse Hartle was hit by a car
and attended Washington Seminar in a body cast.  Sandy Halverson managed  to
attend Washington Seminar although her mother had just passed away.
Lavetta Kemp, our representative from South Dakota, died during  Washington
Seminar.
NFB scholarship applications are available at www.nfb.org and are due by
March 31.  Applications for the Jacob Bolotin Awards are now being  accepted
and must be submitted by March 31, 2012.  The Financial Times  and the Dover
Post have been added to Newsline, bringing the number of  available
publications to 347.  The NFB has filed a complaint with the US  Department
of Justice against the Baltimore City Public Schools, which  have decided
that school libraries in six schools will acquire  inaccessible technology.
At the Great Gathering In at Washington Seminar, Rep. Cliff Stearns spoke
about the Equal Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act, which he has
sponsored.  We are also promoting the Home Appliance Accessibility Act  and
the Americans with Disabilities Business Opportunities Act.  Senator  Tom
Harkin of Iowa held a hearing on accessible technology in education.   Mark
Riccobono spoke at the hearing on behalf of the NFB.  It is time to  make
reservations at the Hilton Anatole Hotel in Dallas for the 2012 NFB
National Convention.  The number to call is 214-761-7500.  Convention  will
run from June 30 to July 5.  Pre-registration will open on March 1  and
close May 31.
Dr. Maurer was interviewed by the Discovery Channel for a program called
Auto Week about the Blind Driver Challenge.  He attended a recital by our
own Jessica Bachicha at Carnegie Call.  The NFB recently hosted the  Teacher
Leadership Seminar, the Scholarship Alumni, and a meeting of the  Research
and Development Committee.

STATE REPORT

NFBI First Vice President Debbie Stein reported on state activities, in  the
absence of President Patti Chang.  Illinois had a larger contingent  than
expected at Washington Seminar.  We had two members of the Teachers  of
Tomorrow program, one parent with the Parent Leadership Program, and  eleven
Illinois vendors. The teachers' and parents' seminar will be held  on April
13 and 14 at the O'Hare Holiday Inn.  Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky  will
co-host the 2013 national convention.  Many Illinoisians will be  needed, so
plan ahead to attend convention in 2013.  The deadline for  Manna Gift
Certificates has been extended to April 1.  The website has a  link to the
list of vendors.

BROADCAST MUSEUM

Dave Meyer reported that members of the Freedom Link program had been
interested in visiting the Broadcast Museum.  Staff members stated that  it
is not accessible in nonvisual ways.  Formerly the museum was very
accessible, when it was housed at the Chicago Cultural Center.  Jemal
Powell will find out whom we can address about improving access to the
museum.

OUTREACH

Debbie Stein and Dave Meyer will represent the NFB at the Illinois AER
(Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Visually Impaired)
conference at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Schaumburg on February 16 and  17.
Dave will present Newsline at the Technology Fair at the Guild for the
Blind on April 21.  We have the opportunity to participate in a vision  expo
sponsored by a church group called Oasis for the Visually Impaired  on March
30 in Orland Park.  Jemal volunteered to participate.  On May 19  the
Southland Vision Expo will take place at the Marie Irwin Community  Center
in Homewood.  Jemal can help and another volunteer is needed.

TREASURY

Treasurer Steve Hastalis reported a current balance of $5,362.09.
Fundraising is down, and we need more participation.

NEWSLINE CONTEST

The Code of the Week for the NFB Newsline contest can be found on  Newsline
under Option 2 from the main menu.  Go to the Illinois  Information Channel
and the section NFBI Newsline Contest and the article  Code of the Week.  We
have had one winner so far.

ADJOURNMENT

The meeting adjourned at 3:15 PM.

Respectfully submitted,