[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter: March

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 01:41:11 UTC 2012

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

March 3, 2012

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

Hope you haven't blown away yet! Hang in there, Spring has got to be just around the corner. Rain or shine, wind or calm, we hope to see you at our next chapter meeting on Saturday, March 10.  Remember, it's always warm and friendly inside at our meetings, no matter what the weather is like outside.

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our meeting will be held on Saturday, March 10  at 1:30 PM, at the South Moline Township Center at 637 17th Avenue in East Moline.

LAST MONTH'S MEETING

The meeting was led by chapter treasurer, Lois Montgomery.

Patrick Olson and Bob Gardner talked about their recent trip to Washington D.C. to participate in the NFB Washington Seminar.  In this event, NFB members from all 50 states come to Washington to talk to their congressmen about issues important to the blind community.  Besides pushing for important legislation, Bob and Patrick talked about the many mobility and travel challenges involved in the trip.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Saturday, May 12:  We will have our chapter meeting at Bennigan's Restaurant in downtown Rock Island.  We will have lunch, all selecting their meal off the menu (and paying for it themselves).  We will also have a short business meeting.  As in the past, those interested in practicing their mobility skills will ride the bus from Center Station in Moline to Rock Island, then walk several blocks to the restaurant. More details later.

Saturday, June 9:  We will have our annual potluck/picnic at the home of the Gardner's in Hampton.  As usual, besides great food and fellowship, we will talk about the long white cane used for mobility, and we will do some walking around the village of Hampton.  And, maybe a special surprise this year.  Stay tuned for further details.

June 30-July 5:  NFB National Convention in Dallas, Texas. If you are interested in attending, contact Bob Gardner for further details.  You should make hotel reservations soon.

MEMBERSHIP

If you still need to pay your chapter dues for 2012, please do so soon.  It's easy and fairly painless to join the Blackhawk Chapter or to renew your membership.  All you have to do is bring $2 to a chapter meeting, or mail that amount to: Lois Montgomery, 3527-12th Avenue, Moline, IL  61265.  Where else can you find such a BARGAIN!

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

          March 9 - Kathy Abbott

             12 - Kathy Crooks

             25 - Nancy Gardner

             30 - Ruby Blanchard

          April 1 - George Sowers

RECIPE CORNER

Please submit your favorite recipes.  You can give written recipes to me at the chapter meetings, send them email (address in letterhead), or mail them to me at: P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256. Thanks! Nancy

Here's another recipe from Kaitlyn.  This sounds both easy and delicious!  Thanks Kaitlyn!

Mom's Great Rodeo Burgers

2 pounds of hamburger, browned

1 small onion, diced

2 ½ tablespoons of brown sugar

¾ teaspoon Worchester Sauce

1 ½ cup catsup

½ teaspoon of vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

Bake at 350º for 45 minutes. (Note: Can be transferred to a crock pot to keep it hot for a potluck, etc.)

Serve on hamburger buns and enjoy!