[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter For May

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Sat May 5 16:40:35 UTC 2012

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

May 1, 2012

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

Hello!  It's May and we have been having some nice weather - the grass is green and growing, the birds are chirping, and the daffodils and tulips have been blooming. It must be SPRING !  Plan to spend a nice spring day with all of us at the May 12th. chapter meeting at Bennigan's Restaurant.  See you there!

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our next meeting will be held on Saturday, May 12.  It will be a luncheon meeting, held at Bennigan's Restaurant at 2nd Avenue and 17th Street in downtown Rock Island.  For reference, that is in the Holiday Inn.  We will be ordering off the menu, and everyone will be paying for their own meal.  Plan on being at the restaurant by 11:30 AM so we can order our meals by noon.  You are welcome to invite a family member or friend to come with you.  We will have a short business meeting.

   As in the past, those interested in practicing their mobility skills will catch the #10 West bus from Center Station in Moline at 11:15 and ride to Rock Island, then walk several blocks to the restaurant.

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

Last month's meeting was led by chapter vice president, Patrick Olson. He talked about the Illinois Assistive Technology Center and its services.  This center loans out different assistive devices so that the borrowers can actually try the equipment out before they purchase the items from another source.  For more information, call Patrick at 757-0421.

FUND RAISING

IT'S TIME FOR BIRDIES FOR CHARITY

Chip in for your chance to win!

Once again, the Blackhawk Chapter will participate in this great fund raiser. Our chapter will receive every penny of pledged donations we collect from this fund raiser -- plus a bonus (10%) from the Birdies for Charity Fund.

HOW IT WORKS

Make a one-time flat donation, or pledge one cent or more per birdie.  After the tournament (July 9-15), you'll be mailed an invoice of your pledge amount due.

AND . . .

Guess the number of birdies made by the Tour Pros during the tournament for your chance to win the grand prize, a 2013 Chevy Malibu! Other contest prizes include a John Deere riding mower, Allegiant Air Travel Voucher courtesy of the Quad Cities International Airport, a John Deere walk-behind mower, and over 100 other great prizes!

SO . . . BE A BIRD . . . CHIP IN TO WIN!

"Birdies" forms will be available at the chapter meeting. Those wanting additional forms to give to friends should contact Lois Montgomery at 762-3414. Please talk to your family, friends, and neighbors about "Chipping in for your Charity!"  This is our biggest fundraiser of the year.  Remember to fill out a pledge for yourself, too!

                     AND . . .

There will be a prize given to the person who collects the highest number of pledges, and to the person who collects pledges with the highest $value.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

            May  8 - Jan Bjurstrom

                19 - Aubrey Bradford

                27 - Neta Carroll

           June  5 - Kay Endrizzi

                10 - Cindy Hines

                11 - Harold Palash

                12 - Pat Olson

                21 - Paula Ryan

UPCOMING EVENTS

May 30:  Senior Low Vision Fair at the i wireless Center, 1201 River Drive, in Moline.  The hours are from 10 am to 3 pm.

June 9:  We will have our annual potluck/picnic at the home of the Gardner's in Hampton for our June chapter meeting. Bring a dish to share - meat will be provided.  We will have ice tea and lemonade available - feel free to bring your own beverages if you like. Besides great food and fellowship, we will talk about the long white cane used for mobility, and we will do some walking around the village of Hampton.  And, maybe a game of "string ball."

June 30- July 5:  NFB National Convention in Dallas, Texas.  If you are interested in attending, contact Bob Gardner for further details.  You should make hotel reservations soon.

INTRODUCING A NEW FEATURE THIS MONTH!

We are starting a new section in Hawk Talk this month - it's called BOOK TALK.  In BOOK TALK, we will feature member suggestions for books that they have read and that they feel others in our chapter would enjoy. The books can be either fiction or non-fiction.  The one restriction for selections is that they be available through the NLS Talking Book System.

If you would like to recommend a book, you can:

1. call Nancy Gardner at 755-8085.  If I'm not available, leave a message and I'll return your call.

2. send an email message to rngard1061 at mchsi.com

3. tell Nancy about your choice at a chapter meeting.

4. or mail your suggestion to Nancy Gardner, P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256.

When you give your suggestion, include a sentence or two about why you enjoyed the book.

EXAMPLE:  Bob and I just finished reading "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.

The main characters of this work of fiction are forced to use their wits and cunning to stay alive in a "game" that is staged to "entertain" those who rule over them. This takes place in a futuristic America, and is the first book in a three book series. This is a very popular book right now, and has been made into a movie.

RECIPE CORNER

It's rhubarb season!  I got this recipe from a friend and they are delicious (dreamy!).  Give them a try - great to take to potlucks and picnics.

Rhubarb Dream Bars

Crust:

2 C flour

3/4 C powdered sugar

1 C butter (softened)

Mix together and press into 9 x 13" pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 10-15 mins.

until light golden brown.

Filling:

4 eggs

2 C sugar

1/2 C flour

1 C sour cream

1/2 tsp salt

Beat together until well blended. Stir in 5 cups chopped rhubarb. Pour over

crust.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 mins.