[il-talk] Checking In

Rob rcubfank at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 7 06:15:48 UTC 2012

good for you Leslie.

-----Original Message-----
From: Leslie Hamric
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:04 PM
To: 'NFB of Illinois Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [il-talk] Checking In

Hi Patti and all.  Once the voting machine was set up for audio, I was able
to use it just fine.  I had a poll worker who didn't have a problem with me
waiting in line.  But her co-worker was bound and determined to let the
world know that I would never be able to back Michael's stroller into the
narrow space where the machine was.  Even when I was leaving, the co-worker
kept saying loud comments like, "You're not going to make it.  That's no
good.  You're going to knock the machine down." She wanted to guide me out
the door but I preferred to have the first poll worker do it. Her name was
Laverne.  The loud co-worker kept insisting that she ought to help me, that
she did this all the time, that she worked in a hospital, etc.  Laverne had
finally had enough and said, "Leave her alone!  They like to be
independent!"  I also thanked the woman for her concern but said I'd rather
have Laverne guide me out. She pointed me in the right direction and
although I majorly screwed up the route on the way home, I still got home.
I had gotten there just fine, though.  I do well with written directions and
I'll just have to make a point of having directions to a destination, as
well as directions back home.  My Sendero app on my iphone helped too, as I
was able to confirm where I was.  Michael was good too.
Leslie