[il-talk] Braille Examiner

Connie Davis connie.davis at rcn.com
Thu Nov 15 13:51:53 UTC 2012

Below is a copy of the Braille Examiner. And for those of you who like it
nicely formatted, I have attached MS Word and text formats. Unfortunately,
when I copy and paste some aspects of the formatting change.
Thank you to everyone who helped with this!!!!

THE BRAILLE EXAMINER
Post-State Convention 2012
Editor: Connie J. Davis
Co-Editor: Debbie Stein
President: Patti Chang

CONTACT INFORMATION
President: Patti Chang, (773) 307-6440, pattichang at att.net
Editor:  Connie Davis, (773) 338-6922, connie.davis at rcn.com
Co- Editor:  Deborah Kent Stein, (773) 203-1394,dkent5817 at att.net
Formatting & Electronic Distribution: Connie Davis, (773) 338-6922,
connie.davis at rcn.com <mailto:connie.davis at rcn.com,>
Newsline® Edition:  David Meyer, (708) 209-1767,
<http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/il-talk_nfbnet.org> datemeyer@
sbcglobal.net
Limited Print Edition:  Bill & Roberta Reif, billreif at ameritech.net
Braille Edition:  Leslie Hamric, lhamric390 at comcast.net
Proofreaders: Meg Dowell & Glenn Moore,
Website:  Byron Lee, webmaster, www.nfbofillinois.org,
webmaster at nfbofillinois.org

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Articles and calendar postings should be submitted to Connie Davis at
connie.davis at rcn.com. The Newsletter Committee will meet prior to the
publication of each issue of the newsletter. Meetings will be announced on
our e-mail listservs, posted to the NFBI calendar and on our website. Our
meetings are open and new members are welcome. This newsletter is available
in electronic format on our listservs, via e-mail, and on our website. It is
also available on Newsline®. It is published in Braille and limited print
edition for our donors as well.

Postal mail, e-mail address and format changes should be sent to Connie
Davis, connie.davis at rcn.com. Question or comments may be addressed with
Connie, Debbie or Patti.

BRAILLE READERS ARE LEADERS CONTEST
(This is a post that appeared on NFBnet.net Members List, posted by David
Andrews.)

It's time to start reading! The reading period for the annual Braille
Readers Are Leaders contest for adults begins November 1. Registration for
the contest is now open! You can register at www.nfb.org/BRAL now through
the end of the contest, January 4, 2013.

The contest is for adults who read Braille. There are categories for all
levels of Braille readers, from beginners to experts. Participants read
for  prizes, practice, and pleasure. Whether you love the competition or are
spurred on simply because it's a great way to promote and refine your
Braille skills, this contest is for you.

For more information, you can check the Web site, www.nfb.org/BRAL. There
you will find all the forms and reading logs you will need to participate.
If you still have questions, please contact the Braille Readers Are Leaders
team at (410) 659-9314, extension 2312, or BrailleReadersAreLeaders at nfb.org.

 Put your fingers to the paper and start recording what you are reading
today! Braille Rocks,

The Braille Readers Are Leaders Team

MANNA CERTIFICATES ORDER DETAILS & DEADLINE
by David Meyer

The deadline for placing an order for our Manna Gift Certificates Fundraiser
is December 2nd. The order will be placed on December 3rd. If you would like
to place an order for certificates, please contact Dave Meyer by calling
708-606-7091 or by e-mailing datemeyer at sbcglobal.net.

A complete certificate list has been posted to both of our listservs and on
Newsline®.

POST-CONVENTION 2012 PRESIDENTIAL REPORT
by Patti Gregory-Chang

As I write from Washington State, I think with excitement about the
convention I am about to attend and review our recent convention in Illinois
with pride.

I begin with the numbers. We registered 149 people, almost one-third of them
people, under the age of thirty. This involvement of young people bodes well
for our future.

Most of this newsletter will be devoted to convention, but I would like to
note a couple of very important things here. First, our At Large Chapter has
been issued a charter. We were all so busy during the convention that we
forgot to present the charter at our banquet! Be assured that it was issued
by our national office. Second, our Vendors Chapter met at convention. By
all indications, a new charter will be issued soon for our Illinois
Association of Blind Merchants.

Now that convention is over, we can begin to work on our first Illinois BELL
Program. We plan to conduct a Braille Enrichment for Literacy Program in
Chicago next summer. If you wish to serve on the BELL Committee, please let
me know.

The NFBI board also approved a TVI/Parent seminar for next spring. This
should feed students into the more intensive BELL program. We need people to
work on this event as well. Even if you can't work during the days of the
seminar, you can help with the planning and publicity. I will call on many
of you. Please feel free to volunteer by calling me at (773) 307-6440 or
e-mailing at pattichang at att.net.

We want a good contingent of Illinois Federationists to attend Washington
Seminar, which will be held February 2-4, 2013. Applications for Washington
Seminar are now available. The 2013 NFB National Convention will take place
July 1-6. Please mark your calendars. Convention will be held at the Rosen
Center in Orlando, Florida. Please join us.

WELCOME ILLINOIS VENDORS!!!
by Mary Lou Grunwald

On October 17th, The Illinois Association of Blind Merchants voted
unanimously to become a chapter of NFBI. This has been a dream of mine for
35 years. That dream has finally come true. Many of my vendor colleagues
have been attending state and national events over the past year, and I have
had the honor and privilege of sharing all the exciting aspects of our
organization with them. I have heard many positive responses. I am looking
forward to seeing what new talents and abilities they will bring to NFBI.

Welcome fellow vendors!!!!

HOW TO KEEP YOUR NEWSLINE® SUBSCRIPTION
by David Meyer

Several weeks ago, our state president, Patti Chang, received a communiqué
from Sharon Ruda of the Illinois Talking Book and Braille Service. The
message detailed the process the library has undertaken to identify those
who wish to keep or cancel their NewsLine® subscriptions. Since our
convention I have learned that not all NewsLine® subscribers have received a
survey or any other communications regarding their subscription. We are
publishing Ms. Ruda's letter to inform Newsline subscribers before any
decision is made on their behalf.

If you wish to keep your NewsLine ® subscription, please call the Illinois
Talking Book and Braille Service at 800-665-5576. Press 5 to get to the
Talking Book and Braille Service, then ask for Debra Hurley. She will be
glad to talk to you about this matter.

Here is Sharon Ruda's letter to President Chang.

Patti,

Below is information you can share with NewsLine® subscribers. I think I
have included all the information you requested. Please call if you have
additional questions.

Starting in November of 2011, the Illinois State Library Talking Book and
Braille Service began to survey individuals who are subscribers to the NFB
NewsLine®, a service sponsored and administrated [sic] by the Illinois State
Library. Although this survey was approved by our Consumer Advisory
Committee, we have learned that some people have questions regarding this
project. This is a project we do every two or three years. We do this in
conjunction with the annual review of Talking Book and Braille Service
readers. Every year, according to National Library Service procedures, we
review our Talking Book clients to remove from our program database anyone
who is deceased, from whom we have received returned mail/location unknown,
people who called and told us to cancel their service for a number of
reasons, etc. We follow through and make changes regarding each situation.
It is our administrative responsibility to keep our records as up-to-date as
possible.

Five attempts have been made to contact subscribers who have not responded
to the survey.

                1. A large print letter was sent to 1351 subscribers in
November,               2011. We received 334 responses.
     A follow-up mailing was sent in March to those who did not respond.
     Beginning in July, staff at the Chicago office of the Illinois state
library have been making calls to 689 subscribers who did not respond to the
2nd mailing. A response was required if the patron wished NewsLine ®. A
voice message was left with instructions to call an 800 number if the
individual wished to continue the subscription.
4. If phone numbers given to us by subscribers from our database were
discontinued, additional sources including the national NewsLine ®) database
record phone number, whitepages.com, personal contact numbers, etc. were
used to attempt to reach the subscriber.
5. If we were unable to reach subscribers through the above process, the
final attempt was through email. We are receiving responses from the email.
If we are unable to communicate with people, after trying numerous times,
they will be removed from the database. I'm sure you know, being deleted
from the NewsLine list is not a problem. If someone is inadvertently
deleted, a simple call gets him/her reinstated and at the same time allows
us to update his/her record. Updating changes in address or telephone number
is critical for any entity that administers a subscription program. It is
the responsibility of the subscribers to keep their record up-to-date. If
you move or get a cell phone and drop your land line, the ISLTBBC needs that
information.

An invaluable part of this survey is that David Meyer, our NewsLine® mentor,
is getting lots of referrals to people who need his assistance and training.
This is beneficial to those who answered our survey, noting that they found
NewsLine® too hard to use or didn't know anything about it.

The Illinois State Library Talking Book and Braille Service understands how
important NewsLine is to our patrons, and we are pleased that NewsLine will
continue to enhance the lives of those who use the service.

Sharon Ruda
Associate Director Illinois State Library

THE NFBI SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS OF 2012
by Deborah Kent Stein

Last May the NFBI Scholarship Committee tackled the difficult task of
selecting the 2012 scholarship winners from a pool of highly qualified
candidates. Shortly after the winners were notified, the NFBI board voted to
invite them to attend the NFB national convention. With only three weeks
notice, three of the winners managed to arrange their busy schedules in
order to spend a week in Dallas. Months before they received their awards,
they began to learn about available resources, to bond with one another, and
to absorb the NFB philosophy.

Seven outstanding students were awarded NFBI scholarships at the NFB of
Illinois convention banquet on October 6. Kenneth Jernigan schlarships of
$1,250 went to Anthony Overhiser, a freshman at Loyola University planning
to go to medical school; Ryan Parrey, a doctoral candidate in disability
studies at the University of Chicago; Adrian Rodriguez, a pre-law freshman
at Stanford University; and Gaia Iaccarino, who studies screenwriting and
film at Scott Community College in Bettendorf, Iowa. Mary MadDill Knapheide
Scholarships of $1,500 were awarded to Katie Leinum, a freshman at Southern
Illinois University/Carbondale who plans to study architecture; and Brianna
Lillyman, a freshman at Loyola University who hopes to attend law school.
The Peter Grunwald Memorial Scholarship in the amount of $2,000 went to
Megan Dowell. Meg is a junior at Olivet Nazarene University. She has a
double major in English and Dietetics.

As the winner of the Grunwald Scholarship, Meg Dowell had the opportunity to
address the banquet. "I first want to say thank you so much to everyone who
is here. I am so, so grateful," she said.  "I would like to tell a story. I
am a dietetics major, and I'm learning that it requires a lot of tasks I
never thought I could push myself to do. One of my classes this semester is
food science. It includes a lab that requires cooking--lots of cooking! That
is something I do not have a lot of experience with. There are six kitchens
in the lab, and in your kitchen you're part of a group of three. Each person
has tasks to do during the lab to get the food prepared.

"After the first lab I went to my instructor and said, 'I can't do this. I
can't cook this food. I don't know what I'm doing.' And she said, 'We're
going to let you do this by yourself so you can learn.' So this past
Wednesday I was back in the lab. Part of the lab was to boil green beans.
That's not hard, right? You put the pan on the stove and you turn the stove
on. Well, I burned my green beans! As I was burning my green beans I turned
on the fan and opened all the windows in the kitchen, and I took the beans
and dumped them in a strainer in the sink. I thought, what am I doing? Then
my instructor walked in and she said, 'What happened in here?' I said to
her, 'I am never going to be a dietetics major! I burned my green beans! I
can't even boil vegetables! I'm never going to be able to do this! I'm going
to fail!' And she said, 'Meg, you can do anything. You just don't know it
yet.'

"With every green bean I'll ever burn, I will think of NFBI and what you all
have blessed me with. You believed in me even before I was here. Thank you
so much."

CONVENTION FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF FIRST-TIMERS

A First Timers Perspective
By:  Ed Birmingham

Usually the first weekend in October means high school and college football
along with the beginning of baseball playoffs.  However, this year would be
different.  Approximately twenty Randolph-Sheppard Vendors, along with
spouses and grandkids, attended our first ever National Federation of the
Blind of Illinois Convention.  President Patti Gregory-Chang was kind enough
to include the Vendors in the Convention agenda.
John Gordon, who is the Chairman of the Illinois Committee of Blind Vendors
and I were asked to speak briefly at the student luncheon.  We also took
part in a panel discussion on the Randolph–Sheppard Program with our
colleagues, Jesse Rogers and National Association of Blind Merchants
President, Nicky Gacos.  Raven Pulliam, Administrator for the Business
Enterprise Program for the Blind, rounded out the panel.  We discussed many
issues concerning blind entrepreneurs.

The highlight of the weekend for me, personally, was getting the opportunity
to listen and learn from all of those involved in the Student Division.  I
cannot put into words how impressed I was with these young men and women.

I also enjoyed National Representative Carl Jacobsen’s keynote address at
the banquet Saturday night.  I thought Carl delivered a very inspiring
message as did so many others before him.

As President of the Illinois Association of Blind Merchants, I would like to
speak for our entire membership when I tell you that we are ecstatic to be a
Division of the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois and a proud
Affiliate of the National Association of Blind Merchants.  We look forward
to working collaboratively on issues that affect us all.

A FIRST TIMER'S PERSPECTIVE
by Linda Hendle

As a first-time attendee, I found convention to be very exciting,
informative, and fun. Not only did I catch a much-needed getaway, but I also
listened to many inspiring speakers such as Carl Jacobsen. He spoke about
how he overcame his struggles as a blind person and became a national Rep
for NFB.

There were the phenomenal high school and college students, who spoke of
their efforts and triumphs as blind people. I was inspired by their
confidence. I attended both the IABS luncheon and breakfast. I especially
liked Karen Anderson's story of how she thought she had it all figured out
about mobility and discovered in her last year of college that she needed
travel training. I also liked Meg Dowell's story of how she was not
discouraged by burning the green beans in cooking class. Her teacher told
her not to worry, that she could do anything she wanted, she just didn't
know it yet. Then there were the high school students from Freedom
Link--Hannah, Dijana, Alexa, and Josh. They spoke of how far they had come
since joining the program.

I loved Braille Is Beautiful. It really encouraged me. I like and use
Braille more since I joined the LIFE group with Bob Gardner. The banquet was
an amazing experience, too.

When I lost my sight eight and a half years ago, after having glaucoma for
thirty-five years, I was devastated. I didn't know my life could change for
the better, but it has. I have met wonderful people in the NFB, and
especially at this convention. People cared and wanted to help me become
more independent. I was very nervous about going to convention, because I
had not been away from home since I completely lost my sight. However, as
convention got closer, the nervousness turned into excitement, and I
couldn't wait to get there.

After the banquet a good friend encouraged me to travel back to my room
alone. After having done it with someone several times, I said, "Why not?" I
was reluctant, but I did find my way. I'm so glad I did it!

Since I do not live geographically close to a chapter, I belong to the At
Large Chapter. It is so easy to attend meetings! I just pick up the phone. I
have also renewed friendships with some people I went to school with because
they belong to the NFB. Now I have old and new friends in the same
organization.

I know I still have a long way to go, but attending convention helped boost
my confidence. As Megan's teacher said, "You can do anything you want. You
just don't know it yet." Thank you, NFB!

INNOVATION
by Michael Pickerill
Presented at the Parents' Breakfast, October 6, 2012

Good morning. My name is Michael Pickerill. I am eleven years old, and I
live in Mount Olive, Illinois. I am in the sixth grade at Mount Olive Grade
School. My blindness is the result of Septual Optic Dysplasia.

I applied and was accepted as one of thirty students to attend Project
Innovation. Twenty Junior Innovators, age seven to thirteen, and ten Senior
Innovators, age fourteen through twenty, were given the task of exploring,
designing, and experimenting on subjects of their interest in the fields of
science, technology, engineering, and math.

Eight weeks before we met at the NFB Center in Baltimore, Maryland, I began
to have weekly assignments that I had to record in an investigation journal.
I decided to use the Evernote App to record audio notes to share with the
NFB staff and the other innovators.

For the first four weeks I investigated designing a goalball app for the
iPhone. I wanted the app to have a goalball game that users could play and
to have the rules and history of goalball. I also wanted to link to the 2012
Paralympics in London, where goalball is an international event. I soon
found out that I did not have the necessary skills to write computer code,
and for me to get those skills would take more time than was allowed.

I went on a website called sciencebuddies.org and did an interest inventory.
I decided to build a hovercraft, based on the results. I found that Sir
Christopher Cockerell invented the hovercraft in the 1950s. I found a design
and instructions online. The hovercraft had a skirt, and some of the air
from the skirt goes directly under it to give more lift. Hovercraft are used
in emergencies around water. I downloaded the materials list to the NFB
staff so I would be able to build when I got to Baltimore.

We drove to Baltimore and the NFB provided our meals. We stayed in dorms on
site. It took three tries to succeed with my project. First we popped the
inner tube with the skirt, and the craft couldn't be lifted into the air.

In Baltimore we got to use some talking science equipment, and we even went
rock climbing. We got to sit in the Blind Challenge car with Mark Riccobono,
the driver. The parents had a workshop and wore eye shields. Mom thought
that was scary! The parents learned a lot of cool little things. We went to
the Innovation Fair and saw projects from different fields.

Thank you for letting me talk about Project Innovation.

BRAILLE IS BEAUTIFUL
by Deborah Kent Stein

"Let's think of a way to demonstrate what fluent Braille reading is really
like." The suggestion came from Annette Grove at an NFBI board meeting in
2003. Brainstorming around Annette's idea led to the first Braille Is
Beautiful event, a dramatic reading using Braille scripts, at an NFB of
Illinois convention. We wanted to show that reading Braille need not be a
dreary and laborious exercise. Year after year, the Braille Is Beautiful
cast has proven that Braille can be read with flair and for sheer pleasure.

Braille Is Beautiful started on a small scale. That first year I carried a
bundle of scripts onto the train bound for Springfield, where our convention
was to take place. I walked from car to car and invited every
Braille-reading Federationist I met to read in that night's performance.
Seven readers accepted the challenge. Completely unrehearsed, that first
intrepid cast gave a public reading of James Thurber's humorous short story,
"File and Forget."

Like many convention features, Braille Is Beautiful grew and evolved over
the years. In 2005 the reading of Robert MacBrearty's story "First Day,"
about a new employee's harrowing initiation to the workplace, became
available online as part of the convention audio archive. In the next year
or two, music and sound effects began to enhance the performances. Since
2007 casting has been done weeks in advance, and two rehearsals have been
held via teleconference prior to the reading at convention.

In the first years, Braille Is Beautiful showcased our most fluent readers,
most of them people who learned Braille in early childhood. In recent years,
however, newer Braille readers also have taken part. Braille Is Beautiful
gives readers at any level the opportunity to show off their accomplishments
as they help bring a play to life before an audience. It is true family
entertainment, a venue where adults, teens, and children participate
together.

Material for Braille Is Beautiful has come from many literary traditions.
Selections have included The Marriage Proposal by Anton Chekhov, "The Stolen
White Elephant" by Mark Twain, Nikolai Gogol's The Inspector General, and O.
Henry's Short Stories, "The Ransom of Red Chief." In 2009, to celebrate the
two hundredth birthday of Louis Braille, Braille Is Beautiful was granted a
premier spot on the convention agenda. Twelve readers performed an original
script based on James Thurber's fantasy, The Thirteen Clocks. The reading at
the 2012 convention was The Imaginary Invalid by the seventeenth-century
French playwright Molière.

If you have a suggestion for a Braille Is Beautiful play, or if you would
like to read at convention in 2013, please contact me at dkent5817 at att.net
or (773) 203-1394.

FOCUS ON PARENTS
by Deborah Kent Stein

Over the past few years, activities for parents, children, and teens have
become an integral part of the NFB of Illinois convention. Nine families of
blind children attended the 2012 NFBI convention. The first event geared for
parents was the Parents' Breakfast on Saturday morning. Breakfast was served
at seven AM. Undaunted by the early hour, a group of parents gathered to
listen to the program as they enjoyed eggs and coffee. After President Patti
Gregory-Chang delivered a warm welcome, Mindy Jacobsen from New York spoke
about the ways her parents helped her grow up to be a confident, successful
blind adult. Eleven-year-old Michael Pickerill described his experiences
with Project Innovation (his presentation appears elsewhere in this issue).
Thirteen-year-old Zach Carr, a winner of the National Writers Division
Poetry Contest, spoke about his life as a blind middle-school student.

Most of the parents attended the first hour of the Student Luncheon so they
could hear several of the presentations, including the introductions by the
2012 scholarship winners. Then the parents crossed the hall for the Parents'
Luncheon. The luncheon program featured a talk by Stephanie Provence, a
Braille teacher at the Illinois School for the Visually Impaired (ISVI).
More than twenty of Ms. Provence's students entered the 2011-2012 Braille
Readers Are Leaders Contest. Two Braille Readers Are Leaders contestants,
Chris Mankowski and Shelley McGrath-Myers, spoke about their participation
and how it encouraged them to read more Braille.

The final segment of the luncheon program was a discussion based on the
Pop-up IEP. The Pop-up IEP is an online resource developed by the National
Organization of Parents of Blind Children (NOPBC) and the National Center
for Low Incidence Disabilities (NCLID) at the University of Northern
Colorado. It consists of a series of problematic statements often made by
school personnel during IEP meetings, such as, "You can't expect the teacher
to describe everything to your child" and "Your child is too young to use a
cane." Each statement is followed by possible responses, based on disability
law. My co-leader for this segment was Sariah Mattinson, the mother of a
blind four-year-old. We selected several statements and used them to spark
an exchange of ideas.

Many features of the general sessions and the banquet also were of high
interest to parents. These included a talk by Senior Innovator Katie Leinum
of Project Innovation; the presentation of two Excellence in Teaching Blind
Students Awards by the Illinois Association of Blind Students (IABS); and
talks by four members of Freedom Link, NFBI's transitions program for blind
teens. But for parents, as for so many conventioneers, the most important
aspect of convention is meeting and networking with other people. As one
parent commented, "I'm finding out how much there is for me to learn, and
how much the NFB can teach me. I know I'll be back."

AT LARGE EVENTS
by Leslie Hamric
On Friday night of convention, the NFBI At Large Chapter hosted a dinner for
all of our members in attendance. Six people in total attended the meal. We
ordered subs and drinks from the Village Pizza. A wonderful time was had by
all.

Just like any other chapter in the state, the At Large Chapter holds regular
monthly meetings. We meet on the first Sunday of the month at 7:00 PM via
teleconference. Meetings last an hour and a half. During the meeting, we
play the National Presidential Release, read and approve minutes, and have a
program. If you want to know more about our chapter or our programs, please
join us on the first Sunday of the month at 7:00 PM. The phone number is
218-936-1200. We use the pass code 6324, which stands for NFBI. All are
welcome, and we look forward to meeting you. Together, we can change what it
means to be blind.

HAVING A BALL AT KIDS KAMP
by Francisco Chang, RN, BSN, AACC, CCRN, CVRN

Everybody had a ball at Kids Kamp. In fact, Let's Have a Ball was this
year's theme. Most of the activities were focused on baseball.

Kids Kamp this year served four children, three blind and one sighted. There
were two boys, ages ten and eleven, and two girls, ages five and ten.

As a crafts project the kids made pennants. Later they watched an
audio-described movie about Arthur making the team and hopped to baseball
theme songs led by Dave Meyer and Cathy Randall. Bill Reif read a story
called "Babe Ruth Saves Baseball."

The highlight of the day was the game of string ball, in which the players
pitch and bat a ball back and forth. It took a little while for the kids to
get the hang of it, but toward the end they were clamoring for more.

Another popular activity was face painting, directed by Teacher of Tomorrow
Brian Moles. One boy elected to have his face painted as a clown, and one
chose to be a scary zombie. One of the girls wanted to be a butterfly
princess.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who helped make Kids
Camp safe, successful and fun, for both adults and children.

IABS IN REVIEW
by Rose Sloan
October was a busy month for the Illinois Association of Blind Students! It
all started off on Friday, October 5, at the NFBI state convention in
Chicago. IABS hosted the annual IABS Idol event, at which Gaia Iaccarino was
crowned the champion. Special thanks go out to Anil Lewis, Jason Meddaugh
and Nicky Gacos for being wonderful judges. Among the highlights was a
performance of a song called "NFB," sung to the tune of the Beatles song
"Let It Be" by affiliate president Patti Chang; Director of BLIND, Inc.,
Shawn Mayo; and IABS board members Rose Sloan and Julia Chang. Chicago
Chapter President Dave Meyer managed to upset Chicago Cubs fans by singing a
parody, "The Cubs Have Lost a Hundred Games, Hooray, Hooray." The baseball
theme was continued by the Four Rivers Chapter, which happily sang a
Cardinals rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game." Finally, the At Large
Chapter was crowned winner of the Battle of the Chapters with its fantastic
rendition of "Sixteen Tons." Everyone is looking forward to seeing what At
Large will pick as the theme for IABS Idol 2013.

IABS also hosted its annual Student Luncheon at the state convention.
Highlights of the luncheon included NABS Vice-President Karen Anderson,
giving the keynote speech; the chairman of the Illinois Committee on Blind
Vendors, John Gordon and President of the Illinois Association of Blind
Merchants, Ed Birmingham, giving a presentation about the importance of
internships. Finally, the members of the NFB of Illinois scholarship class
introduced themselves. Congratulations go out to Meg Dowell, Katie Leinum,
Bri Lillyman, Anthony Overhiser, Adrian Rodriguez, Ryan Parrey, and Gaia
Iaccarino. Later that day, at the banquet, IABS proudly awarded Kelly Gagen
and Summer Porter with Excellence in Teaching Blind Students Awards. Ronza
Othman was stunned to be awarded the IABS Service Award.

On the final day of state convention, IABS held its annual face-to-face
business meeting. At the meeting, members elected the board for the
2012-2014 term. Congratulations go out to President Rose Sloan, First
Vice-President Chris Jeckel, Second Vice-President Bri Lillyman, Secretary
Julia Chang, Treasurer Meg Dowell, and board members Debbie Stein, Katie
Leinum, James Dickman, and Ryan Parrey.

Finally, IABS had its first meeting of the new term. The Membership and
Outreach Committee and the Mentoring committee were formed. James Dickman
will chair the Membership and Outreach Committee and Bri Lillyman will chair
the Mentoring Committee.

IABS  participated in the Disability Resource Fair at Loyola University in
Chicago on Monday, November 5th. Members staffed  a table, and  recruited
some new members!  If you are interested in IABS, you are invited to attend
the next meeting on Sunday, Nov. 11th at 7 PM Central. Call 218-936-1200 and
input code IABS (4227).

CONVENTION RESOLUTIONS 2012
by Steve Hastalis

This year, the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois unanimously
adopted two resolutions at its state convention.  The first commends Equip
for Equality for their continuing effort to ensure a smooth voting process
for those who wish to vote independently.  The second calls upon the
Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) to continue the tradition of
non-visual access in all transactions related to managing and using fare
media of Chicago area transit systems. It additionally calls upon the RTA
and its Service Boards to consult with the National Federation of the Blind
of Illinois, to ensure that these "Open Standards Fare Media," including
Ventra, and related equipment -- ticket vending machines, turnstiles and
fare boxes -- be independently accessible to and usable by blind and
visually impaired persons.

TECH TIP

Improving the Speech Response of Your Screen Reader
by Bob Gardner

Does the speech on your PC’s screen reader seem to drag a little?  Does the
speech seem to lag behind your typing?  Although this is not a problem on
all computers, I have seen it on some.  To make the speech response of your
sound card to be the best it can be, do the following:

1.    Go to the control panel, then to “sounds,” and click on that.
2.   You should end up on “speakers.”  Then hit the applications key on your
computer or the right mouse key to get a context menu.
3.   Go to “properties” on the context menu and click on that.
4.   Go through the resulting tabs 'till you get to “enhancements” tab.
5.   Tab till you get to “disable all enhancements.” Check that.
6.   Tab to “okay,” then continue tabbing to get a second “okay,” hitting
the enter key both times.

The speech coming out of your screen reader now should be real snappy,
easily keeping up with your typing.  Note that making the above change will
probably result in a lower volume, so you will have to readjust that.

POEM

"Misunderstood"
By Patrick Olson

Face the fury of haters,

They are the instigators,

Regardless what they say,

Be positive anyway,

So people believe you are unintelligent,

They are unknowing and ignorant,

Show them how you really are,

Being rude will not show your true caliber,

So the world thinks less of you,

No matter what, be you and stay true,

Being depressed or oppressed will make you lose sight,

Find strength and keep your might,

Whatever people say about you,

Reacting in the same manner is beneath you,

You are worthwhile,

So don’t ruin your personality or style,

Regardless how you have been mistreated,

Never decide to be defeated,

Expect more from who you are,

And you will go far,

Let go what other people think,

Their opinion shall not put you on the brink,

Do not start insults, violence, or frown,

Stay cool and calm down,

No matter race, class, gender, disability, sexuality, situation, or
neighborhood,

We have all been misunderstood,

It’s important to build humanity,

NFBI CALENDAR NOVEMBER--FEBRUARY

November

December
1--7:00-8:30--At Large Chapter Meeting, Via Conference Call, 218-936-1200,
code 6324
1--All Day--Deadline for applying for Chappell Fund Assistance to Washington
Seminar
8--11:00-2:00--Four Rivers Chapter Christmas Party, Vito's Italian
Restaurant, Belleville, Illinois
     11:30-4:30--Chicago Chapter Meeting and Christmas Auction, Exchequer
Pub, 226 S. Wabash, Chicago, IL
      5:00-7:00--Blackhawk Chapter Christmas Party, Christ United Methodist
Church, 3801 7th Street in East Moline

January
5--10:00-12:00--Heartland Kankakee Chapter Meeting, Bourbonnais Public
Library, 250 W. John Casey Drive, Bourbonnais
6--At Large Chapter Meeting, Via Conference Call, 218-936-1200, code 6324
12--11:30-1:00--Four Rivers Chapter Meeting, Belleville Public Library, 3414
W. Main Street Belleville, Illinois
       1:00-3:30-- Chicago Chapter Meeting, Exchequer Pub, 226 S. Wabash,
Chicago, IL
       1:30-3:30--Blackhawk Chapter Meeting, South Moline Township Center at
637 17th. Avenue in East Moline

February
1--Heartland Kankakee Chapter Meeting, Bourbonnais Public Library, 250 W.
John Casey Drive, Bourbonnais
2--7:00-8:30--At Large Chapter Meeting, Via Conference Call, 218-936-1200,
code 6324
4-7 Washington Seminar, Holiday Inn Capitol Hotel, Washington DC
8---11:30-1:00--Four Rivers Chapter Meeting, Belleville Public Library, 3414
W. Main Street Belleville, Illinois
      1:00-3:30-- Chicago Chapter Meeting, Exchequer Pub, 226 S. Wabash,
Chicago, IL
       1:30-3:30--Blackhawk Chapter Meeting, South Moline Township Center at
637 17th. Avenue in East Moline

Connie