[il-talk] Chicago chapter minutes november 10

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 28 21:24:53 UTC 2012

NFBI Chicago Chapter
November 10, 2012
Exchequer Pub and Restaurant
226 S. Wabash, Chicago

CALL TO ORDER

Chicago Chapter First Vice President Denise Avant chaired the meeting in the
absence of President David Meyer. There was no operational sound system, but
members were courteous and most people were able to hear the proceedings.
The meeting was called to order at 1:00 PM. Thirty-four people were in
attendance, including first-timers Dan Dwyer and Kathy Stepp.

MEMORIAL

The meeting began with a moment of silence for Kelly Doty, who passed away
on October 1, 2012. Many chapter members shared their memories of Kelly.
Donations in Kelly's name should be sent to the NFBI Scholarship Program.
Patti Chang said that Kelly believed passionately in Braille literacy and in
our youth programs such as Freedom Link. We can honor her memory by
supporting the things she cared about so deeply.

PROGRAM

With Washington Seminar just three months away, Debbie Stein told the story
of the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act, a.k.a the Quiet Cars Bill. She
explained how she recognized the need for action when she encountered her
first silent hybrid car, and how the initiative gained momentum through the
work of Federationists across the country. Our work as individuals really
can make a difference, and we have power when we work together.

SECRETARY's MINUTES

The minutes of the meeting of September 8 were approved.

TREASURER's REPORT

Steve Hastalis gave the third quarter treasurer's report, covering the
period from July 1 to September 30, 2012. On July 1 the chapter had a
balance of $3,771. Income during the third quarter came to $2,023 and
expenses totaled $2,690, for an ending balance of $3,104 on September 30.
The interim report shows an ending balance of $3,313. The report was
approved.

STATE REPORT

NFBI President Patti Chang spoke about our state convention. Altogether 149
people registered, breaking our past records. For the first time we had to
deal with an overflow hotel. Patti thanked everyone who helped put
convention together and keep it running smoothly. The Business Enterprise
Program recently held a national conference in Chicago. Patti announced that
the Illinois vendors have passed a constitution which has been ratified by
the NFBI board. They will be chartered as the Illinois Association of Blind
Merchants (IABM). IABM will be affiliated with the national merchants'
division. Everyone who pledged for Fifteen for Funds should send in their
checks as soon as possible. We very much need people to purchase gift
certificates. Gift cards make great Christmas presents. First-time
conventioneers Jessie Hughes, Hilda Sandiford, Dan Dwyer, Andrew Webb,
Valancia Howard and Valancia's granddaughter Sarita spoke about their
convention experiences. Denise encouraged people to sign up for the adult
Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Membership: Bob Widman urged people to come early in December for the
auction and to stay late in January for Games Night. The December meeting
will begin at noon.

Fundraising: Ken Staley said he has auction appeal letters for people to
present in order to request auction items. Games Night will be held at
Exchequer after the January meeting. Tickets cost $25 and drinks are extra.

Meet the Blind Month: Bruce Paul reported that he, Steve Hastalis, Dave
Meyer, Jemal Powell, and Ryan Parrey held an event at the Chicago Children's
Museum. They explained about Braille, mobility, and technology, and showed
examples of tactile maps. The Children's Museum will host this event again
next year. Next year they will let us use the Great Hall, and we can make it
a much bigger event.

OLD BUSINESS

Steve Hastalis talked about door chimes on the new El cars. The doors on the
new cars open and close very quietly. CTA proposes to sound a chime when the
doors open and when they are about to close. If the opening and closing
chimes sound the same, this could be rather confusing.

ADJOURNMENT

The meeting adjourned at 2:15 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Debbie Stein, Secretary