[il-talk] First aid and CPR

Andrew Webb awebb2168 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 23:06:00 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I mentioned earlier in the week that I'd be attending a CPR certification
class.  I did so, and it was a good experience.  This won't come as news to
many of you, but it was good to get the reassurance that CPR can be
performed just as capably by first responders who are blind as it can by
anyone else.  However, this class also provided my first hands-on
introduction to the use of Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs).  This
device seems invaluable, and yet from my experience also seems quite
inaccessible to the blind, i.e., vision seems necessary to properly place
the pads on the victim, and I found no apparent workaround.  I haven't found
any resources online that indicate to the contrary. Does anyone have any
insights or knowledge on this?  It would seem to be a wonderful thing if
blind people could themselves operate AEDs, which when properly utilized can
boost chances of survival dramatically.

Regards,

Andrew