[il-talk] Want to Improve Your Braille?

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 20:08:02 UTC 2012

Every Sunday night at 7:30 PM, a group of us get together by teleconference to read Braille.  We call ourselves the LIFE (literacy is for everyone) Group.

We all procure the same Braille book from NLS, Bookshare, or by other means, then we take turns reading to each other.  Our meetings last approximately an hour.

During the week between our teleconference meetings, we each have "homework," which is a certain number of pages to read in our common Braille book.

The purpose of all this is to improve our Braille by reading aloud once a week to each other, and also to get into the habit of reading Braille regularly.  The latter can be accomplished by reading the homework during the week.  The LIFE Group is particularly looking for those who really need to improve their Braille comprehension and reading speed.  It is probably better aimed at those toward the lower skill level rather than those near the top.

On Sunday, October 21, we will meet as usual, and we will start a new book.  That's a perfect opportunity for you to join us!  The book is "Animal Farm," by George Orwell.

If you are interested, please contact me.

Bob Gardner
309.236.6606
rgardner4 at gmail.com

You are always welcome to tune in on Oct 21 at 7:30 PM to get a taste of what we're doing.  The number is 218.936.1200, and the code is "life," or 5433.