[il-talk] Career and Education

Bruce C. Paul brucecpaul at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 16 16:14:17 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I could use some advice on how to approach [re]education after being out of the work force for a bit.  One of the job interviews I had recently made me realize how rusty I am.  I managed to forget some skills I used to use every day.  This did not feel good.

I still plan to apply for jobs in my area of interest.  However, I see the world changing and my previously stated focus on Chicago and Seattle will probably have to also include New York, which will also increase the competition.  Do any of you know any success stories related to this type of career changing?  Does anyone know of any support groups I could contact?  Frankly, my recent experiences have made me realize how isolated I have become, relative to industry.  I do try to keep current on what's the latest trend, but I don't really use the MeetUp groups I attend for much more than practicing my social skills.  Further, when no one takes you seriously to begin with, one doesn't really get exposed to many exciting opportunities.

Trying not to become Gatsby.

Your fellow federationist,
bcp