[il-talk] vr

Gregory D. Rosenberg gregg at ricis.com
Wed Aug 7 18:12:51 UTC 2013

Good afternoon Joseph,

I have a GE "All in one USB 2.0 card reader / writer 97942 revision 4.0" that is very inexpensive. I paid less than $5 for it at Walgreens. The label on the back of the unit also shows WK2510 which I believe is it’s FCC registration number.

When choosing a card reader consider the following:

Do you just want a card reader or do you also want to write to your SD or other cards?

Do you want it to support USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? The latter offers faster transfer rates.

Choosing a USB 3.0 card reader is not a problem if all you have are USB 2.0 ports on your computer, but is only worth spending the extra money if you plan on having a machine that supports USB 3.0 in the future. You will likely spend $20 on up to $50 for USB 3.0 card readers.

There are many card readers that offer varying numbers of slots to read or write a wide variety of cards. If all you really want is just an SD card reader consider buying a reader / writer that offers support just for SD cards. They will be easier to use and you won’t ever get confused about which slot to insert your card in.

If you choose a reader / writer that supports many card formats you can place a marker by the slot you use most frequently. A lot of the card formats are there to support older cameras, MP3 players, ...

SanDisk, Sony, Samsung, Dynex, IOgear, Verbatim, or Energizer make very good products.

I would stay away from Transcend, Sunpak, ILuv, Sonnet, Aleratec, Edge, Bytec, Athenatec, Top Brand, eForCity, and most of the mainstream brands.

A year or so ago I had purchased a few models of “Transcend” card readers, but I am very unhappy with all of them. It is a bit difficult to position and seat the SD or other types of cards. It does not have a smooth channel to guide the card into it’s slot. Many of the cheaper no-name brands suffer from such bad designs. Imagine the slot being cut in the metal case with the socket set back a fraction of an inch. It is very easy to miss the socket and slide your card underneath or on top of the socket the card is to be inserted into. Aside from missing the socket you also risk scratching the metal connection fingers on the SD card itself.

I hope this helps.

On Aug 7, 2013, at 12:17 CDT, Joseph Monti <josephmonti339 at comcast.net> wrote:

> hi cathy, i was having trouble with my SD cards.
>
> i couldn't erase them or add to them. turned out i
>
> needed a new cardreader.
>
> try bestbuy, use radioshack if nothing else is available.
>

> Joseph Monti

P.S. Students get free two day shipping and other benefits by signing up with "Amazon Student”. Click the following link to sign-up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info?ie=UTF8&refcust=Z5OZDF6CNEYBGPOXCVKEXRD5WQ&ref_type=generic

P.S. Text the word BLIND to 85944 to donate $10 to the NFB Imagination Fund via your phone bill.

--
73' & 75'
Gregory D. Rosenberg AB9MZ
gregg at ricis.com

RICIS, Inc.
7849 Bristol Park Drive
Tinley Park, IL 60477-4594
http://www.ricis.com

708-267-6664 Cell
708-444-2690 Office
708-444-1115 Fax (Call First)
We are tired of SPAM faxes.

NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and please delete it from your computer.