[il-talk] BELL newsletter

Gregory Chang Patti pattichang at att.net
Sat Aug 10 12:15:57 UTC 2013

BELL Program Newsletter
August 9, 2013

Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning
The National Federation of the Blind has developed an amazing curriculum that enriches braille literacy. It is a core belief that literacy means reading, not listening, and braille allows for this interaction with text.

On July 29, 2013, seven young children, ages 4-13, started a braille adventure. Participating in the NFB BELL Program means that the children were given instruction and enrichment opportunities to improve their braille reading and writing skills. Safe travel skills and excursions were also included in our two-week adventure.

	In our first week, the children were assessed by Gloria Moyer and Amy Lund, the program’s co-teachers. Knowing where the participants were starting with their braille skills was essential to plan the rest of their program. Braille lessons were specifically chosen for the children to improve their tracking, discrimination, letter identification and reading rates. We also explored some physical activities such as Goal Ball. The children were able to learn some of the basic rules and techniques of the sport. Everyone had a great time hearing the bell in the ball and seeing if they could locate it using their auditory skills.

We also traveled to the 12th street beach near Museum Campus and enjoyed the lack of sun so no one got sun burnt.  Traveling on the bus was new for some but all listened well and we arrived safely. We also traveled to the Brookfield Zoo where Charles and Nicolette allowed us to pet different animals. The children and amazing blind mentors had a good time exploring the different textures of the animals and enjoying a beautiful day at the zoo with new friends.

	The second week of the BELL Program kicked off with lots of excitement for the week. The children were all giddy for our excursions that were planned, but first they had to do some braille work! When Tuesday finally arrived, the kids were excited to go rock climbing at the Chicago Athletic Club in Lakeview. Keith and Rachel were fantastic at giving great directions and keeping everyone safe and having a great time. On the bus rides home, some of the kids even started recognizing street names as we passed them and the bus announced them.

	On our last trip of the program, the children and volunteers navigated to Navy Pier to enjoy the food court and the Children’s Museum. Each child stayed within in their budget amount for lunch and successfully navigated the busy food court of Navy Pier. We also had an opportunity to see the Chicago Lighthouse for the Blind store in Navy Pier.  Once paired with an adult mentor, the children were able to explore the Children's Museum and have a blast! I heard mentors even ask if they could jump in the activities because they looked like so much fun. We know it’s a sign of a great trip when we had to wake children up to transfer buses.

	We have been SO lucky to have incredible volunteers and blind mentors. I would like to thank: Bill, Samantha, Chaquita, Adnana, Cassandra, Steve, Jemal, Nadia, Brianna, Debi, Glenn, Marco, Mary, Hilda, Debbie S., Debbie P., Janna, Bruce, Alexa, Chris, Ashley, and Dave for their contributions to the program.

Each day we celebrate our new achievements and excitement for the day by ringing bells. Everyday, the children add their own celebrations about new literacy successes, things that enjoyed from the day, or celebrating a peer’s success. Each bell ringing, the volunteers were so excited to see the growth, just in a single day, of the children and the work they were doing.

Braille Writers

If you do not have a braille writer at home, and would like one, please contact  The Chicago Lighthouse for the Blind-Lee Jolyk, lee.jolyk at CHICAGOLIGHTHOUSE.ORG

.

The Illinois Affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind has two listservs for all interested in blindness issues in IL.  IL-Talk is for everyone and IABS-Talk is specific for those interested in student issues.  Sign up by going to www.nfbnet.org.

Please give to the National Federation of the Blind Annual Appeal by sending to NFBI, c/o Glenn Moore, Treasurer PO Box 1065 Elgin, IL 60121.

PS.  Find us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/nfbi and on facebook by searching on "National Federation of the Blind of Illinois."
Patti Gregory Chang Esq.
President, NFBI
pattichang at att.net