[il-talk] Her it is

Robert Hansen roberthansen33 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 23 02:56:36 UTC 2013

I passed this around to a few people.

RH

On 8/22/2013 6:28 PM, Edwin wrote:
> September 30, 2011
>

> Dr. Marc Mauer
>
> President
>
> National Federation of the Blind
>
> 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
> Baltimore, Maryland   21230
>

> Open Letter to All Community Service Providers Holding a Special Wage
> Certificate:
>

> The Chicago Lighthouse for People Who are Blind or Visually Impaired
> supports phasing out the use of the Special "Subminimum" Wage provision
> found in Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).  Society has
> underestimated the vocational capacity of people with disabilities for far
> too long.  We must shift the paradigm, from one that assumes that people
> with disabilities cannot perform job tasks competitively, to one that
> recognizes that, with the proper training, opportunity, and support, even
> people with the most significant disabilities can be competitively employed,
> contributing to an employer's profits and adding value to the American
> economy.  Join with us to end the misguided discrimination against workers
> with disabilities.
>

> As a service provider, the Chicago Lighthouse has worked for the past 105
> years to provide quality rehabilitation services to enhance the quality of
> life of our clients.  Last year we served approximately 65,000 blind and
> visually impaired children and adults through our 28 programs and services.
> One of our core goals is to ensure that each individual receives the proper
> training and opportunity to be competitively employed.  Through the
> employment of innovative rehabilitation strategies and adaptive technology,
> we empower blind and visually impaired individuals with the skills to
> obtain, maintain, and remain in gainful employment.  We recognize that work
> not only provides a source of income, but also promotes independence and
> self-worth, and affords individuals the opportunity to exercise
> self-determination.
>

> We strive to serve as a role model for other companies in how they should
> treat their employees with disabilities.  We are committed to hiring people
> with disabilities throughout our organization, not just in our industries
> program for workers with disabilities.  We offer all of our full-time
> employees (with and without disabilities) a 25 percent benefits package,
> which includes health insurance, pension, vacation, etc.  For clients who
> find that jobs at our facility are not a good fit for them, we offer a
> variety of job placement services that assist individuals with obtaining
> service-related, administrative, and executive positions throughout the
> community that match their skills and abilities.
>

> The federal and state funding we receive helps us to provide core services
> to our clients, but we engage in fundraising and development efforts to
> leverage our public funding so that we can maintain a quality facility with
> [...]

Robert A. Hansen Peer Mentor Council Of Clubs Representative Co-Program
Director WZRD 88.3 FM www.wzrdchicago.org Northeastern Illinois
University roberthansen33 at yahoo.com (NFB related) Phone (872)226-5226
Studying NonTraditional Degree Program Bachelor of Arts
Interdisciplinary Studies focusing on Sociology Northeastern Illinois
University www.neiu.edu