[il-talk] Professional Opinion Regarding My Actions

Rob Kaiser rcubfank at live.com
Fri Dec 6 21:10:13 UTC 2013

I agree with you on this.

-----Original Message-----
From: il-talk [mailto:il-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jemal Powell
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2013 12:39 PM
To: NFB of Illinois Mailing List
Subject: Re: [il-talk] Professional Opinion Regarding My Actions

Nick, you did the right thing by reaching out in order to expedite the
process of getting meter services on your job. It's unfortunate that your
supervisor got offended that you had to go around him but you did what you
had to do and you should not apologize for that at all.

Jemal Powell sent you this voice-to-text generated email using Voice on the
Go.
To listen, click on the voice message link or open the attachment.
https://vemail.whitelabelapp.net:443/enterprise/Recordings/nF6fqAxF-20131206
-1537.wav

	"blindtlk at nfbnet.org" <blindtlk at nfbnet.org>
> Subject: [il-talk] Professional Opinion Regarding My Actions
>
> I am still in the process of trying to acquire reader services at work.
My supervisor appeared to let things be for 4-6 weeks.  I then was contacted
by a major player within my industry asking how things were going as far as
accommodations.  I was honest and shared my frustration.  He asked me to
give him two days to find out some answers.  He kept his word and got the
ball rolling on the acquisition of reader services.  I've gotten a stern
talk from my supervisor and a talk from my Training Program Manager asking
me not to go through anybody, but my current supervisor to accomplish work
tasks.  I was accused of being unprofessional and making others look bad.

> The truth of the matter is that a reader is essential to my level of
production.  I searched high and low for six years to find full time work,
and thank God for the efforts of the NFB and its present relationship with
the VA to provide gainful employment.  Was I out of line in using my network
to obtain services of a reader?  Is this unprofessional?  I was told that I
should "bite my tongue until it bleeds" before I buck the chain of command,
this being from an outside source from a previous job.

> In no way was it my intent to make anybody look bad.  In fact, I thought
that my actions would show my supervisor that I am willing to use my
contacts to get things done.  It seems as though those in there youth tend
to agree with me, and those older tend to take the other approach.  I guess,
I don't want to hear that my actions were unprofessional, but were they?
Please be honest.  Thanks for your time.