[il-talk] app suggestions

Gregory D. Rosenberg gregg at ricis.com
Mon Dec 16 20:38:30 UTC 2013

Good afternoon Nikki,

I use an Apple Bluetooth keyboard with my iPhone 4S and 5. Any Bluetooth keyboard will work; however, there are some subtle differences, but in general all will work fine. You should try to get a Bluetooth keyboard that uses Bluetooth 4.0 and ideally one that supports Bluetooth low energy or BTLE as it is often abbreviated.

Here is a link to the latest documentation for the iPhone with iOS 7. Appendix A gives an introduction to VoiceOver and other accessibility features. http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1565/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Once you turn on Apple’s VoiceOver on than the majority of Apple’s and many 3rd party apps that have enabled VoiceOver support will become accessible. Your millage will very with respect to apps not developed by Apple.

Here are my most frequently used iPhone apps:

1) Reading: “BARDMobile” (Free, requires nlsbard account.) is one of my most frequently used book readers. Although I still use my Digital Talking Book Player on occasion. NFB-Newsline Mobile allows you to access the NFB Newsline from your iOS device. I use many other reading apps. Read2Go, Voice Dream, DaisyWorm, Audible, Blio, Readability, Overdrive (My library uses this for audio book access). I have many others that are discipline specific.

2) Pharmacy & Medication: The “Walgreens” app (Free) greatly improves the accessibility to my pharmacy and has a great scanner that I can use to order refills, as well as identify what is in my prescription bottle. This does take a bit of practice to learn how to position the bottle to be scanned. Other pharmacies may be developing accessible apps. I can greatly expand on the topic of making your medications accessible if you or others are interested.

3) Money Readers: "Looktel Money Reader" makes a great money scanner ($9.95). TapTapSee also performs this function for free, but is significantly slower.

4) Object Identifiers: “TapTapSee” (free) and “Looktel Recognizer” ($9.95) both do a very good job of identifying objects. “Vizwiz” (Free) uses croud-sourcing to help identify an object. I have yet to find a color identifier I am in love with, but "Color ID 2” if you configure it to use simple colors works pretty good. “Light Detector” tells you if the lights are on. Most of us won’t care, but it saves the embarrassing question of “Could you please turn the lights on."

6) VoiceOver: There are many great sources to help you learn how to use Apple’s Voice Over on your iOS device (iPhone, iPad, …). "Looktel Voice Over Tutorial” (free), “Using iOS 7 without the eye” is a great book to teach you about Apple’s Voice Over.

7) Accessibility Information: ACB's “AccessWorld”, "GDB Mobile", "iBlink Radio” provides access to a number of useful radio / podcast accessibility information sources.

This list barely scratches the surface. I could go on for many pages. I hope this helps you with your quest.

On Dec 16, 2013, at 12:08 CST, Nikki <daizies304 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone. I’m getting an I phone for Christmas and was wondering if anyone had some good app ideas and does a blue tooth keyboard work with an I phone?
> You’ve probably guessed that I’ve never used an I phone before and you’re right. LOL! Is it easy?
>

> ---

P.S. Text the word BLIND to 85944 to donate $10 to the NFB Imagination Fund via your phone bill.

--
73' & 75'
Gregory D. Rosenberg AB9MZ
gregg at ricis.com

RICIS, Inc.
7849 Bristol Park Drive
Tinley Park, IL 60477-4594
http://www.ricis.com

708-267-6664 Cell
708-444-2690 Office
708-444-1115 Fax (Call First)
We are tired of SPAM faxes.

NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and please delete it from your computer.