[il-talk] app suggestions

Sharon Howerton shrnhow at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 22:53:53 UTC 2013

Hi, Nicole!
Yes, I remember you. I purchased a blue tooth keyboard when got my phone. It is not foldable; that would be your choice. I have never used a Mac so cannot compare. I sometimes use Siri to text but also use the keyboard. Some people use the dictation feature for writing. I have a friend who will work with people over the phone using VoiceOver. She has helped me a lot. She is in downstate Illinois. I have Verizon as my carrier and like that though have used it for many years. You can easily get free directory assistance, and the other thing for which I needed it was that it worked in the Chicago subways. The phone does take getting used to and patience. We have a lot of YouTube things you can listen to as well as seminars; check out
Hadley.edu/seminar
They are free and very well done.
I have an app for the Chicago busses that I use all the time as well as Money Reader for identifying currency. Much depends on what you want to do with the phone but don't go app crazy. Sync your phone with any other devices including your email. I use the ear buds all the time; it is much easier to use them for making and receiving calls.
If you want to make a call and just have a number, you say "dial"; if you have a contact in your list with a phone number, you say "call" whomever it is.
Be sure your phone is set to portrait and set so your icons remain stationery.
Good luck. It's a fabulous device but, again, does take work and patience.
Good to hear from you.
How is your son? I think you have a little boy?