[il-talk] March HAWK TALK

Lmm3527 at aol.com Lmm3527 at aol.com
Fri Mar 1 03:01:01 UTC 2013

National Federation of the Blind
of Illinois
Blackhawk  Chapter

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,
National  Federation of the Blind of Illinois

March 1, 2013

Editor: Jean Rauschenbach

Contact info:
Lois Montgomery, President
3527 - 12th  Avenue
Moline, IL 61265
(309)236-1675
_Lmm3527 at aol.com_ (mailto:Lmm3527 at aol.com)

March is here!  Spring has to be just around the corner and it  won’t be
too soon!  Rain or shine (hopefully, no more snow), we hope to see  you at our
next chapter meeting on Saturday, March 9th.  Come join us! Get  the date
marked on your calendar and make plans to meet with your Federation  family –
you’ll be glad you did!

THIS MONTH’S MEETING
Our next meeting will be held on Saturday, March 9th, at 1:30  p.m., at the
South Moline Township Center located at 637 - 17th Avenue in East  Moline.
For our program this month Andreas Heim from Magnified Vision will
demonstrate magnification and reading products for the blind and visually
impaired.  Come discover the latest technology available!

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

Eighteen persons were in attendance asBob Gardner and Lois Montgomery
talked about their recent trip to Washington D.C. to participate in the NFB
Washington Seminar.  In this event, NFB members from all 50 states come to
Washington to talk to their congressmen about issues important to the blind
community.  Besides pushing for important legislation, Bob and Lois talked
about the many mobility and travel challenges involved in the trip.

MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT

Greetings to all!  There’s a lot of events to report on in the  upcoming
months.  Hopefully, I’ll remember them all!

Help is needed for the Stepping Out program, a local program for junior and
 senior high students.  We’ve completed a flyer to reach out to other youth
 to spread the word throughout the QC area.  If interested in mentoring or
helping in any way, please contact me.

Calling all students!  Both NFBI and NFB scholarship applications are  now
available to those interested.  Go to _www.nfbofillinois.org_
(http://www.nfbofillinois.org)  for state  scholarship and internship information; and
_www.nfb.org_ (http://www.nfb.org)  for information regarding the 30  national
scholarships which range from $3,000 to $12,000.  The deadline –  March 31st
-- is fast approaching and you don’t want to miss it!

On Thursday, May 2nd, the chapter will participate in the 2013 Low Vision
Expo.  This event will take place at the I Wireless Center located at 1201
River Drive in Moline from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.  Volunteers are needed to
man the booth throughout the day.  If interested, please contact me.

For those interested, May 10th & 11th is the date for the Parent  Teacher
Seminar to be held at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chicago  O’Hare in Rose
mont, IL.  This is a great opportunity for parents of blind  children to
meet and interact with others.

The 2013 National NFB Convention is months away but it’s not too early to
start planning for it.  The convention will be held July 1st - 6th at the
Rosen Center Hotel at 9840 International Drive  in Orlando.   Reservations
may be made by calling 1-800-204-7234.  The room rates are  $79/night singles,
doubles, and twins; $85/ night triples and quads plus  tax.  There is no
charge for children under 17 with accompanying parent as  long as no
additional bed is required.  Conventions change people’s  lives.  Start planning now!

This summer the Illinois Affiliate will participate in the BELL (Braille
Enrichment and Literacy for Learning) program.  This is a day program where
the primary focus is on Braille. It includes components of travel,
adjustment to  blindness and fostering independence.  This program will run two weeks
from  July 29th - August 9th at The Chicago Lighthouse.  It is aimed for
grades  3rd through 9th.  Volunteers are still needed in order to support this
 program.  If interested in volunteering for a day(s) please contact me for
 further information.

Mark your calendar now for the NFBI state convention to be held October
25th - 27th at the Park Hotel and Conference Center in Bloomington.  Room
rates are $99/night plus tax which includes continental breakfast buffet.

We, as a chapter, must work together to accomplish our goals. There’s
plenty for each and every one of us to do, regardless of your interests or
skills.  Help with making reminder calls, transportation, or whatever you  see
that needs attention; a few minutes of your time will go far and would be
greatly appreciated.

I look forward to working with you. Any concerns, comments, and/or
suggestions are welcome.

PEOPLE REPORT

Alma Sowers recently had cataract surgery.

Don Carey’s cataract surgery was postponed due to a death in the doctor’s
family.  It will be rescheduled in the upcoming weeks.

MEMBERSHIP

It’s time to renew your membership for 2013. Not a member? No problem!
Bring $2 to a chapter meeting or email Jean Rauschenbach at
_rauschjc at gmail.com_ (mailto:rauschjc at gmail.com)  for contact  information.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following chapter members will celebrate birthdays in  March:
4 Karen McMaster
9 Kathy  Abbott
12 Kathy Crooks
25 Nancy  Gardner
28 Tom Pogue
31 Sandy Anderson

FUND RAISING

Have you purchased your 50/50 raffle ticket yet?  If not, be sure to  see
Lois Montgomery for your chance to win the pot!  $1 each or 6/$5.   Good luck!

UPCOMING EVENTS

March 1st – Read Across America

March 10th – Daylight Savings Time begins

April 13th – Next chapter meeting

May 2nd – Low Vision Expo at the I Wireless Center in Moline

May 10th & 11th – Parent Teacher Seminar at the Holiday Inn Express  &
Suites in Chicago

July 1st - 6th – NFB National Convention in Orlando

July 29th - August 9th – BELL program in Chicago

October 25th - 27th – NFBI State Convention at the Park Hotel and
Conference Center in Bloomington

TECH TALK

Reading Microsoft Word Files -- Those Later Versions

For years, files written in Microsoft Word were “doc” files.  That is,
the software of those files resulted in a file with the suffix “.doc”.   That’
s the way it was up to and through Microsoft Office 2003.  Then . . .
Microsoft came out with Office 2007, then Office 2010.  Word files in those
later versions of Office now ended in “docx”, and could not be read if you had
 Office 2003 or older.

Yes, it’s a pain in the butt when someone sends you one of those docx Word
files, and your computer chokes up and tells you it cannot read it.  What
do you do?  You could get a new computer, or get a newer version of
Microsoft Office.  Or, you can download and install a software package that  will
allow you to read those docx files, and also the newer xlsx Excel files  used
by the later versions of MS Office.  And what’s great about this  approach,
the software package is FREE.  You can solve your problem without  spending
any money at all.

To find where to download the software package, go to the website:

_www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3_
(http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3)

The software package is FileFormatConverters.exe.  If you have any
questions about the download and installation process, get in touch with  me.

Bob Gardner
_rgardner4 at gmail.com_ (mailto:rgardner4 at gmail.com)
309-236-6606

BOOK REVIEW

Got a book you found rather interesting to read?  Why not share it  with
others?  Contact Lois Montgomery or Jean Rauschenbach with a short  synopsis.

Annie’s Song by Catherine Anderson is a romance.  This book will
definitely hold your interest.

Everyone believes Annie Trimble is an idiot, so the town bully Douglas
Montgomery has no qualms about raping her. His brother, Alex, runs him out of
town, however, marries the pregnant Annie, and adopts the baby. Alex
patiently  helps Annie overcome her fear of men, and he is quite surprised when he
discovers she is not dumb--just deaf. Some descriptions of sex. – BARD
annotation

RECIPE CORNER

Help!  We need your favorite recipe to share with other chapter  members.
Bring it to a chapter meeting, email it to Jean Rauschenbach at
_rauschjc at gmail.com_ (mailto:rauschjc at gmail.com)  or send it by snail  mail to 3527 -
12th Avenue, Moline, IL 61265.  Thanks!  We can’t wait  to test our taste
buds!

Again, this month’s recipe comes from Healthy Exchanges.  Here’s a
healthy and delicious version of a corn pudding.  It’s SO EASY – and SO  GOOD!

CREAMY-CORN SCALLOP
Serves 6

Ingredients:
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can Campbell’s Healthy Request Cream of  Mushroom Soup
2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
½ teaspoon dried mustard or  1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons Sprinkle  Sweet or Sugar Twin
2 cups (one 16-ounce can) canned whole-kernel corn,  rinsed and drained
1 cup (2 ounces) crushed Ritz reduced-fat crackers

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium  bowl combine mushroom soup, onion flakes, mustard, black
pepper, and Sprinkle  Sweet.
3. Mix in corn and cracker crumbs.
4. Pour into an  8-by-8-inch baking dish sprayed with butter-flavored
cooking  spray.
5. Bake 25 minutes.

Enjoy!

MEMBERSHIP PROFILE
PATRICK OLSON

Patrick is one of our younger chapter members, however, by no means, does
this slow him down.  He is the youngest of five children.  He and his
parents are charter members of the NFBI Blackhawk Chapter.  He has served  as a
former board member, currently serves as vice president, and is presently
serving on the Cane Bank Committee.  He is past president of IABS (Illinois
Association of Blind Students).

Not only is Patrick active in his local chapter but he is also involved in
the At Large Chapter where he is in charge of the monthly program.  In the
past he has written for the Braille Examiner (the state affiliate
newsletter).  In 2012 Patrick was one of the nine constituents from  Illinois to
participate in the Washington Seminar.  He has attended three  NFB national
conventions.

Born in Missouri Patrick moved to Sherrard at age two where he was reared
and educated until his transfer to I.S.V.I. (Illinois School for the
Visually  Impaired) where he graduated as valedictorian of his class.  While there
he  was a member of the speech team and cheerleading squad.  During his high
 school years, Patrick was quite active in I.D.E.A. (Illinois Drug
Education  Alliance).  Due to his in-depth involvement in this, he was awarded the
first Patrick Olson Award of Inspiration.  At an I.D.E.A. conference,
Patrick gave a testimonial which resulted in a standing ovation.

Three years ago he moved into his first apartment.  This was quite an
adjustment for him but Patrick has adapted quite nicely.  “I do chores as a
break from school work.  My laundry is now using a digital laundry  machine.  I
have memorized which button I need and push it every time  before I start
the washer or dryer.”

Patrick received an associate degree from Black Hawk College with Psi Beta
honors.  While a student there he served as president of the Student
Government and started an organization for disabled students.  He is  currently
attending Western Illinois University Quad City campus where he is  majoring
in Liberal Arts and Sciences with minors in Sociology, English, and
Nonprofit Administration.  He has yet to begin his fieldwork but will be
volunteering at Two Rivers YMCA in a class for cancer patients and survivors  which
include many with disabilities.  He also plans to work at Heritage 53  ARC.
Not only is he active in QC College Toastmasters where he serves as
president but he is active in Student Government Association and also serves as  a
River’s Edge faculty writer.

When time allows Patrick enjoys video games, writing poetry, listening to
audio books, occasionally going to a movie, and bowling.

Beyond Iowa and Illinois travels include Indiana, Georgia, Missouri (to
visit Branson), Colorado, Minnesota (where he toured BLIND, Inc.), Washington,
 D.C., and Florida and Kentucky (for national NFB conventions).

Patrick has served as a writer for the Aledo Times Record.  One summer
between classes at Black Hawk College Patrick worked at the Rock Island Arsenal
 transferring written documents into typed file documents.

Patrick serves on the Illinois Talking Book & Braille Services Advisory
Committee.  In the past he received the Volunteer Award from the
Illinois/Iowa Center for Independent Living.

The long white cane and Braille are familiar to Patrick.  Other  adaptive
technology includes the Quick Look Zoom portable CCTV 10X illuminated
magnifier, Zoom Text magnifier and screen reader for his computer at home, JAWS
and Windows 7 magnifier at school, and Qread software to listen to PDF’s.

When asked what advice he would pass along to other blind individuals,
Patrick was quick to respond.  “Do not let the world get you down.   Believe in
yourself and stay strong.  Do not look at what you can’t do as a  failure.
Look at those as opportunities to improve.  The only way to  remain happy
is to be optimistic and not let the rest of the world weigh you  down.  All
of us may need help once in a while, but I do not see this as a  weakness.
As I have learned, getting help from someone can lead to my  ability to do it
for myself.”

Print edition of this newsletter compliments of
Van Hoe  Funeral Home, Ltd.
1500 - 6th Street
East Moline, IL  61244
(309)755-1414