[il-talk] Positive advocacy

Kelly Pierce kellytalk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 17:43:27 UTC 2013

Robert,

Congratulations. I used to have the selfish feeling at one time long
ago. Yet, several ideas guide me now that limit this thinking. First,
blindness is a low incidence disability, particularly for those
younger than 65.  It is rare to find accommodations a single
organization can provide that will benefit more than a handful of
blind people. Yes, I may be te only one asking for something, even
though other blind people are served by the organization. Maybie they
don’t need it, aren’t as independent, don’t want it, or are
uncormfortable asking. Whatever the reason, I’ve gotten used to being
the only one.

Second, unlike infrastructure improvements such as ramps for
wheelchair users, our accommodations often last for a short period of
time.  This is because our access needs are often about technology and
information.  Technology changes rapidly and often and information has
a short shelf life.

Third, our accommodations are relatively inexpensive compared to folks
with other disabilities.  Compared to the costs of sign language
interpreters, building retrofits, and assorted helpers for other
folks, our accommodations can be done rather effectively at modest
cost.

Fourth, I ask for solutions rather than identify problems, making
resolution easier.

In general, I have become used to asking for things, scaling my
request in proportion to the organization and its resources.

Kelly