[il-talk] Fw: Getting Railroaded

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Sun Mar 10 20:59:29 UTC 2013

Hi Edwin,

Costs are so high at Amtrak that, compared with fair receipts, it loses
money with every passenger it hauls, even on a full train. Adding,
switching and cleaning cars to handle additional passengers increases
costs. I am told that even the heavy traffic and high prices at the Cafe
Car would leave it unable to operate without a subsidy. That's why
Amtrak maintains little excess seating capacity and you often can't get
a Friday or Sunday seat you haven't reserved in advance.

Cordially,
Bill