[il-talk] Cta green line changes

Steven Hastalis steve.hastalis at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 15:03:37 UTC 2013

Yes!  You have recalled a significant piece of L history.  The CTA has
retained various track connections for reroutes and diversions related to
repair and reconstruction.  The one which Red Line trains will use between
Howard and 63rd and Ashland provided the original physical track connections
between the subway and south side elevated line.  It comes out of the State
Street Subway about a block southeast of Roosevelt station, and it goes up a
hill to the elevated tracks.  CTA used it in regular service for about 50
years, from the opening of the State Street Subway in 1943 and the
inauguration of Howard Dan Ryan Red Line Service in 1993.

Additionally, regular L Riders may have noticed more new 5000 Series cars
coming into service on the Red Line.  Presumably, therefore, we will have
the opportunity to experience new and old L history simultaneously, riding
new 5000 series cars through this track connection between Roosevelt and
35th-Bronzeville-IIT.

Cordially,

Steve Hastalis