[il-talk] Fwd: there is a side 2

Robert A. Hansen roberthansen33 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 31 17:32:34 UTC 2013

Sent from Samsung tablet  roberthansen1970 at gmail.com

-------- Original message --------
Subject:there is a side 2
From:"Robert A. Hansen" <roberthansen1970 at gmail.com>
To:Robert Hansem <roberthansen33 at yahoo.com>

g»*«"l^ /"VJ %P
:J$ -r*r
10 • THE OCTOPUS • WWW.CUOCTOPUS.COM • FEBRUARY 18-24, 2000
Nude Modeling: Going in Blind
How about we just all get naked then, I wonder. You know, just to make
absolutely tiure the nervous playing field is level?
I take my robe off the bathroom hook and caress it a bit before stuffing
it into my backpack. At the audition, we were told that if we ever get
cold or uncomfortable, we should always feel free to just put our robe
back on, Never before have I felt so much reverence for an article of
clothing.
We were also told at the audition that the art department would provide
sheets for us to lie on. "These sheets get dirty sometimes," one of them
said. I pictured her standing in front of us, waving a bedsheet full of
stains from models who weren't so prudent about coffee intake. "You
might want to bring one of your own sheets from home," she advised. No
question.
I stuff a sheet in along with the robe. While strapping the pack onto my
back, I call Dora to come and take me out to the car.
On the drive to the art building, Mike and I talk about how it might
feel to be in an airplane crash, about when he thinks he 11 get around
to changing the light bulb on the front porch, about how gray Dora's hair'is
getting, about anything except nudity and art. I know that avoidance is
not always a good coping strategy, but today it's working. I don't fight it.
By the time I call Dora out of the car and put her harness on, I'm
feeling pretty confident. It's nice to be employed again, good to feel
needed by someone outside of my family. I've even convinced myself that
my work will somehow contribute to the advancement of art. Mike kisses
me goodbye, and the squeeze he gives my hand is reassuring. I smile when
I hear him call out a "Good luck!" to Dora and me as we scoot off to the
art building.
We're right on time, but the professor isn't. As I wait outside the
studio door I'hear students hurrying by to class. "Can I see your still
life?" one asks. "I'm not sure I did it right." I wonder what "right"
is, and if someday in the future two students will be comparing their
renditions of my naked body, seeing if they got it "right" or'not. Then
I hear two other students discussing their social lives.
"Hey, like, did you party, like, all week-end?"
"No, just, like, Saturday. But, like, I tayed up, like, way late last
night, too. Like, , 1 almost didn't, like, wake up this morning."
When ail you can do, like, is hear ... I mean, when you can't, like,
distract yourself with, like, visual things around you, well, like, the
overuse, like, of the word "like," tike this, like, can drive you, like,
crazy.
My brow furrows in annoyance and disgust over this modern-age speech
pattern, and when a voice calls out my name, I'm a bit startled. "Beth?"
a woman asks. "I'm Barbara. Can I help you into the studio?"
Barbara is the art professor I've been assigned to today, With little
time to think, I grab her elbow and let her lead-Dora and me into a big,
open room.
"Ah, they've cleaned the room!" Barbara complains as we enter. The
disappointment ;n her voice makes me laugh.
"What's wrong with a clean room?" I ask her.
"Oh, it just means the stools and chairs are all up on the tables, and
we've got to move stuff around before we get started." She leads Dora
and me to a stool, instructing me to sit down as they rearrange the room
a bit.
I wish she would just bring i)^JE|f the changing room right away so I
could undress and get into my robe. I've managed to get myself to a
pretty good place about this whole nude-modeling thing, and if we could
keep things moving, I won't have time to think about love handles. And
goose bumps. And having to pee.
The sounds of tables and chairs being shoved around finally stops.
Barbara approaches us-again.
Have they come up with a word that combines disappointment and relief?
You know, like "infotainment" or "frappuccino," those other combination
words that are so popular now? .
Disaplief? Relappointment?
That's the word I need to use to describe my reaction after Barbara
tells me how pleased she is that I could make it this morning. She is
particularly pleased with the opportunity that my bringing Dora along
gives the students.
"They can draw both of you," she notes. "And since you'll be there with
the dog," Barbara reasons, "we'll have you keep your dress on."

--
Sent From My Lenovo b-470/570 Laptop

My email for off list and other business use is rob erthansen1970 at gmail.com
Skype name is roberthansen33

Some websites I recommend are

www.wzrdchicago.org
WZRD 88.3fm  Chicago's home of freeform programming

www.democracynow.org  for a truly independent voice in media

www.fsrn.org  A unique voice for news

www.dishnuts.net for some awesome freeform internet talk and music and other assorted content

www.wtnd.us
An independent radio station WTND-LP 106.3fm in Macomb, IL

www.nfb.org  The largest organization of the nation's blind

www.aa.org if you need help learning to live on life's terms