[il-talk] Soliciting on Il-Talk

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 19:55:09 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone

Well, I guess as list moderator I need to wade in again.

First of all, I think everyone knows Il-Talk is for communication among us on topics related to blindness.  Certain types of posts such as ones of a sexual nature; ones promoting political views, either personal or party; and ones promoting one’s religious views are considered inappropriate.  Such posts are not blindness-related, and if one wants to write such posts, they need to find another forum other than Il-talk.

Secondly, soliciting -- when related to blindness -- has never been considered inappropriate to Il-Talk.  We have condoned people posting messages where they want to buy or sell equipment in the blindness field.  Just several days ago, I forwarded a message to Il-Talk relating to the release of JAWS 15.  That was a solicitation from Freedom Scientific, but still something falling within the bounds of our list serve.  And there have been instances where members of the NFBI, if associated with a private company in the blindness field, have been allowed to post bulletins from those private companies.

Thirdly, I see nothing wrong with the post from Leslie Hamric sent out this morning.  She was forwarding information about an attorney with an understanding of disabilities.  Most of all – to me – it appears Leslie is associated or maybe even working with this attorney.  When we have over 70% unemployment in the blind community, why would we want to stifle information that could promote a working situation for one of our members?

Finally, it would be nice in the future if someone who feels that a post to Il-Talk is inappropriate would contact me first.  It’s no fun to see Il-Talk turned into a ping-pong match of snarly messages flying back and forth.

Bob Gardner
Il-Talk moderator
rgardner4 at gmail.com
309-236-6606