[il-talk] {Disarmed} Read this about Ventra

Robert A.Hansen roberthansen33 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 7 19:34:03 UTC 2013

Chicago Muckrakers
	* About
	* Archive
Gripes and guffaws: CTA’s flawed Ventra system hits low-income riders hardest
7 comments
By YanaKunichoff, October 14, 2013 at 9:37 am
 Photo by Steven Vance/flickr.
The Chicago Transit Authority’s rollout of the new
Ventra fare card had a rocky time last week, after a series of technical and customer service problems forced the CTA to backtrack on its plan
to stop issuing old passes.
The endless thread of comments—mostly complaints--on the Chicago
Transit Authority’s Facebook page, as well as responses our reporters
solicited on social media about the first few days of planned
Ventra-only transit were almost Kafka-esque. Some people had yet to
receive their cards but were already receiving multiple emails urging
them to register their card. One man received more than 100 cards. Others reported waiting on hold indefinitely to speak with a representative who never answered.
But many complaints centered on the fact that the Ventra system could cost more for those who have less to spend.
To use the old CTA magnetic fare passes, there was no additional cost beyond what was placed on the card as transit fare. But for Ventra
cards, the process is more complicated. A card itself costs $5. The
money is returned if the card is registered online or over the phone
within 90 days. But for thenearly 40 percent of Chicagoans who are entirely offline or have limited access to Internet connections, registering the Ventra card could be difficult.
A commenter on the Facebook page of one of our reporters expressed
concern for people who did not have regular Internet access to check
whether they were being double charged for their cards:
The bogus charges they put on your account, when you actually
don't use the card. In other words, they are robbing folks by charging
them extra swipes, and swipes that you have not made. And if you don't
have a computer or Internet access, there's no way to know they are
stealing from U. It only gets fixed after you call, however what happens if you never notice it?
Another commenter noted that it was difficult to see how much money
is on the card, which made it hard to take advantage of the $.25
transfer fare:
I think my biggest complaint, though, is that Ventra doesn't let
you know the balance on your card every time you use it, which the old
fare cards did. I'm on CTA a lot, every day, which makes it hard to keep a mental running note of my balance. Unexpectedly not having enough for a transfer is a giant PITA.
Another commenter on a reporter’s Facebook page said privatizing fare systems gave private companies access to money that should be going
into the public coffers:

The banking partners now have access to your money to use for their
other investment opportunities. They can also transfer wealth via fees
from your bank account directly to them. Ten cents and twenty dollars
from one victim is nothing. From hundreds of thousands of victims...
FOREVER... is REAL money for these people to use in other ways in other
markets. It is a straight up wealth transfer and an invitation to
abuse/fraud. etc. Oh, in return there will be less public employees
making salaries; spending money and paying taxes to SUPPORT the city and
 getting pensions. Sort of a lose, lose, lose for people and a virtually
 bottomless piggy bank for Org. Money...
As we previously reported, the Ventra system is run by a San
Diego-based company called Cubic Transportation Systems. Cubic oversees
revenue services on five continents, and has received more than $4
billion in contracts doing it. A Freedom of Information Act request from the Chicago Reporter requesting a copy of Chicago’s contract with Cubic has yet to be returned, but the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the
contract cost almost half a billion dollars.

Despite the CTA’s insistence that the Ventra card was introduced because
 the old transit cards were becoming outdated, many comments expressed
confusion as to why Ventra was introduced in the first place:
I want to know who is making money off this new system. Why did they make a switch that no one seemed to ask for??
While others had their theories:
I have a question - which CTA or city hall bigwig can we expect
it to be eventually be revealed has a familial or business relationship
with Cubic Transportation Systems? It's hard to think of another reason
why this would be farmed out to San Diego at the cost of Chicago
residents' jobs. Unless it was on ideological grounds - I know the Mayor of Chicago hates public services and public workers and wants to see
them all privatized.
The rocky road to Ventra has also been ripe for satire. The Whiskey Journal, a local website, announced Wednesday that:

In an unexpected move the Chicago Transit Authority announced on
Wednesday that the organization’s current transit card would be replaced
 with a slice of ham, according to city officials.
Citing the absolute lack of problems with current card system, the
CTA announced the new ham slice system was critical and would take
effect immediately.
Or, as another commenter put it:
At last, a parking meter deal for those of us without cars!

A previous version of the story said that to register a
Ventra card, it had to be connected to a bank account. That information
has been corrected.
Filed under: Government and Politics
Tags: Chicago, CTA, transportation
MORE FROM CHICAGONOW
	* The last place you look and the joy of unpacking after a move
	* Life in an SRO: When temporary housing becomes a home
	* Some see similarities today in policies that led to 1963 boycott of CPS
	* ‘Mayor 1%’: Emanuel’s tenure strikes a chord and ignites a movement
	* Missed opportunities for poor families
FROM AROUND THE WEB
	* Maximize Your WiFi Range for Free| Daily Finance
	* Survey: Would you keep or kill Obamacare?| Bankrate.com
	* Time to take ex's Social Security benefits| Bankrate.com
	* 10 Ways to Make Your First Million| Investopedia
	* 15 Stars Who are Bankrupt| She Budgets
[what's this]

CommentsLeave a comment
	* Olaf1 said 3 weeks, 2 days ago
You do not have to connect your Ventra Card to any kind of bank account in order to register it.
If you wish, you may set it up for autoloading from a bank account, but this is not required.
All that you have to provide to register it is your name, address,
phone, and birth date.  (And, no, they do not check your ID.)  You can
even do it over the phone if you don't have internet access.  NO bank
account or credit/debit card is required.  And you get your $5 purchase
fee credited to your Ventra Account.
	* Brian Wolf said 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Why do journalism and fact-checking when you can just copy and paste uninformed internet comments?
	* Ryan Williams said 3 weeks, 1 day ago
This comment brought you by Cubic Systems incorporated.
	* CharlesPaidock said 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Re:  Private Company with Access to Fare Box
The one comment about concerns regarding a public-private partnership I believe are genuine.  I testified both before the CTA and the State
of Illinois public hearings, expressing concerns about a bank we found
was classified as one offering low service and high fees, etc.  There
are a number of articles about PPPs found at the lower portion of our
website.
The concerns of the riders about registration are justified.
Charles Paidock, Secretary
Citizens Taking Action for public transit
www.CTAriders.org
	* CharlesPaidock said 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Re:  Private Company with Access to Fare Box
The one comment about concerns regarding a public-private partnership I believe are genuine.  I testified both before the CTA and the State
of Illinois public hearings, expressing concerns about a bank we found
was classified as one offering low service and high fees, etc.  There
are a number of articles about PPPs found at the lower portion of our
website.
The concerns of the riders about registration are justified.
Charles Paidock, Secretary
Citizens Taking Action for public transit
www.CTAriders.org
	* Olaf1 said 3 weeks, 1 day ago
Thank-you for making the correction.
Anyone who does not have internet access can register their Ventra
card by calling 1-877-NOW-VENT.  Internet access is not required.
	* Cassandra West said 3 weeks, 1 day ago
Thank you for pointing out the error.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
	*
Welcome to ChicagoNow.
Meet our bloggers,
post comments, or
pitch your blog idea.
	*

	* Who We Are

Metro Chicago’s best source for investigative reporting with a focus on race and poverty.
www.chicagoreporter.com
	* Find us on Facebook
	* Follow us on Twitter
	* Subscribe to Chicago Muckrakers
Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner
	*  Monthly Archives
	* November 2013
	* October 2013
	* September 2013
	* August 2013
	* July 2013
	* June 2013
	* May 2013
	* April 2013
	* March 2013
	* February 2013
	* January 2013More »
	*  Latest on ChicagoNow
	* Did Someone Really Sue His Wife Over An "UGLY" Child And Win?!?!
from God Is My Running Partner by Steve DeLuca
posted today at 1:09 pm
	* Weekend Planner: Top 5 Family Events in Chicago / November 8, 9 & 10
from Raising World Citizens by Aimee Thompson
posted today at 1:05 pm
	* Illinois pension debate overlooks role of public-sector jobs in sustaining the middle class
from Chicago Muckrakers by YanaKunichoff
posted today at 12:51 pm
	* Living and Laughing with MS
from Ups And Downs Of A Yoga Mom by Yoga Mom
posted today at 12:00 pm
	* Chicago Human Rhythm Project presents Che Malambo
from Get Out And Have Fun Around Chicagoland by Shari Schmidt
posted today at 11:53 am
	*  Related posts   From News: City Life »
	* CTA Ventra card: What to do if you STILL haven't received yours »
Kevin O'Neil on CTA Tattler
Posted Wednesday at 8:07 pm
	* The Cute Kittens Get Adopted! »
Woodlawn Wonder on I Hate My Developer
Posted Wednesday at 11:18 am
	* Worrying what the neighbors think: my milk cooler OCD »
Kim Strickland on A City Mom
Posted Wednesday at 1:04 pm
	* Fashion Focus Chicago Kicks Off »
Ximena on Collecting Chicago
Posted October 15, 2013 at 11:42 am
	* Why you're single: A response to Marriage Isn't for You »
RegineRousseau on SoLo Living
Posted Wednesday at 1:32 pm
	*  Related blogs
	* CTA Tattler
All things seen and heard on the Chicago Transit Authority.
	* I Hate My Developer
Woodlawn, South Side & Chicago Observations
	* A City Mom
Chicago author Kim Strickland takes a humorous look at parenting and family life in the big city.
	* Collecting Chicago
A collection of 'love-its' and 'leave-its' in Chicago.
	* SoLo Living
Exploring Chicago's South Loop.More from News: City Life
	*  Read these ChicagoNow blogs
	*
Cheaper Than Therapy
Surviving, thriving and laughing our way through life
	* Are you a Tigger or an Eeyore?
	*
Chicago Public Fools
One CPS parent's assessment of what's happening in Chicago Public Schools.
	* What's so scary about our nation's schools? Reign of Error part 2
	*
Let's Get Back To Real Music
Providing the literary soundtrack of life.
	* Robert Glasper and Hiatus Kaiyote. 2 different sounds, one giant step for music.
	*  Read these ChicagoNow Bloggers
	* Mark Andel
from Hot Dog Diaries:
The Real Charlie Trotter Was a Sweetheart
	* Jake Perper
from Bears Backer:
Final Thoughts: Bears' Offense Has A Chance To Carry This Team Far
	* Katy Walsh
from The Fourth Walsh:
"Elegy" (The Elegy Project):  More Mechanical Than Emotional
	*  Today's Flyers
Flyer alerts and shopping advice from ChicagoShopping.com
	* About ChicagoNow
	* FAQs
	* Advertise
	* Recent posts RSS
	* Privacy policy
	* Comment policy
	* Terms of service
	* Chicago Internet Marketing Services©2013 CTMG - A Chicago Tribune website -  Crafted by the News Apps team

Sincerely,

Robert A. Hansen
roberthansen33 at yahoo.com
(872)226-5226