[il-talk] CBS 2 story on fake service dogs

joseli at joseliww.us joseli at joseliww.us
Sat Nov 9 10:33:08 UTC 2013

people like that make owner trainers look bad. Just because it's not labeled
by a school doesn't mean the dog is not trained to assist.  I think everyone
should have to cary an id card from a reputable registration service.  At
least until some standards for testing are established, which is harder than
it sounds.
Right now all that is required to register a service dog with the service I
used is that the dog be assisting a person with a disability and that it be
well behaved in public. The form must also be witnessed.

Really, I've seen school trained dogs that aren't well behaved in public, so
that particular standard has totally been blown out of the water in my
opinion.
Not saying my dog is perfectly behaved in public at all times, but I've seen
worse.
Does that mean he is any less a help to me? No.  I have been able to go
places and do things that I would otherwise be too anxious to do without
him.  I don't feel that a standard guide dog would benifit me in my current
situation, but he is trained to augment my cane skills, allowing me to make
mistakes, and correct my alignment or direction when asked.
He is also trained to find a variety of things that a cane can't like
elevators, escalators etc, from a distance.
I taught him all of these things and it's no walk in the park.  A good
trainer puts in as much or more time than a school trainer.
This being said, owner training is not for everyone, and everyone isn't
going to succeed, but at least the person will know what they need from the
dog and work toard that goal.
A person passing off a pet as a service dog will not be able to give
specifics as to what the dog does for them and may not have good control of
his/her animal.
I do believe the right to remove a misbehaving animal is that of the place
of business no matter what the owner calls it.