[il-talk] Braille Examiner, Fall 2013

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Sun Oct 20 01:01:09 UTC 2013

THE BRAILLE EXAMINER

Fall 2013

Editor: Deborah Kent Stein

President: Patti Gregory-Chang

Proofreaders: Meg Dowell and Glenn Moore

Newsline: David Meyer

Contact Information

NFBI President: Patti Gregory-Chang, 773-307-6440, pattichang at att.net

Editor: Deborah Kent Stein, 773-203-1394, dkent5817 at att.net

Newsline Edition: David Meyer, datemeyer at sbcglobal.net

Print Edition: Bill and Roberta Reif, billreif at ameritech.net

Braille Edition: Leslie Hamric, lhamric930 at comcast.net

Website: www.nfbofillinois.org

* * * * * * *

PUTTING BLINDNESS IN ITS PROPER PLACE

By Leslie Hamric

Last year, I sat in General Session at the NFB of Illinois state convention,
thinking about a particular blindness issue. I was asking myself what is an
appropriate reaction when someone says the all-too-familiar words, "You're
amazing!" or "You have a lot of courage!" How can one react to these
statements without sounding rude or condescending?

I waited eagerly to hear what the last speech of the day would be. All I
knew was that Shawn Mayo, the director of BLIND, Inc. (Blindness Learning in
New Dimensions), was going to say a few words about the NFB training
programs. I figured she would state why we all should go to BLIND, Inc., for
training, and that would be that. Little did I know that her speech would
ultimately change how I react to the word courage.

As I listened intently, Shawn told the story of how someone reacted to her
blindness as she was getting food at the airport one day. She was simply
standing in line, minding her own business. As she moved through the line,
someone approached her and stated, "Miss, you sure have a lot of courage." I
figured Shawn would say that what she was doing did not take courage, and
that she was just living her life. Instead, she said something very
different. After a few moments of hesitation, she answered, "It doesn't take
courage to stand here in line and get my food. What does take courage is
putting blindness in its proper place."

I sat there, stunned. What did Shawn just say? She said that it takes
courage to put blindness in its proper place. Why?  What did she mean by
this statement?

She went on to say that in order to put blindness in its proper place, one
needs training in alternative techniques. The training helps one feel
worthwhile. It helps one realize that blindness is not a tragedy. Finally,
the training helps one rediscover one's identity. Instead of viewing
blindness as a detriment, it now can be viewed as an asset. One can now say
that it is respectable to be blind. Blindness does not make one totally
helpless or totally superhuman. Rather, blindness is just an alternative way
of living. The person is now someone with the same talents and abilities who
just happens to be blind. As they say, the show must go on.

As General Session came to a close, relief swept over me as never before. I
felt like a butterfly set free at last. For once, when someone said I was
amazing or that I have a lot of courage, I knew what to say. I had a
response that would work every time.

So now, when someone approaches me and says how amazing I am, I think of
Shawn Mayo's story about getting food at the airport. I think of how she
responded to the well-intentioned person who said she had a lot of courage.
Instead of getting annoyed, I simply say something like, "You know, going to
the store itself is not what takes courage. What does take courage is going
through training and putting blindness in its proper place." This way, folks
know that courage does have a place in the adjustment process, but it's a
very different place from what they may have imagined.

* * * * * * *

PERSEVERANCE AND ADJUSTMENT THROUGH TOUGH TIMES

by Linda Hendle

When I was eleven years old, I lost the sight of my right eye due to a
surgery that failed. Nine years ago last Easter, I lost my remaining
eyesight to glaucoma. I had been dealing with glaucoma for about thirty-five
years, using drops and pills to keep the pressure down. For a long time my
pressure stayed low enough that I didn't have to worry. But in 2003 it
spiked into the 30s, and it never went down again.

On Good Friday of 2004, I had surgery to put a valve in my left eye. The
surgery went well. But the next night, as I was recovering back home, I felt
a sudden, stabbing pain in my eye. When the pain subsided, it was as though
a shade was drawn sideways. I was totally blind.

At first the surgeon assured me that the problem would clear up and that I
would see again. But in June I was told that my retina had detached. There
was nothing more the doctors could do.

Five months later, I had another blow. My husband, who already had multiple
sclerosis and Crohn's disease, was diagnosed with lung cancer. Newly blind
and not knowing how long he would be in the hospital, I moved in with my
parents. My husband ended up having a lung removed and then, three weeks
later, undergoing an emergency colostomy. After four weeks of physical
therapy, he finally came home. He had been in the hospital for seven weeks.

So, there we were-a newly blind wife and a husband who now used a
wheelchair. How did we manage? We helped each other. He was my eyes and I
was his legs and hands. We were able to do most things together, and we got
some help from family members, too.

After a few years, my husband's condition grew worse. We got a part-time
caregiver to help me feed, bathe, and dress him. Frustrated and growing
depressed, my husband began to receive Homebound Ministry every Sunday from
our church.

One Sunday the minister told me that there was a young blind woman in the
church choir! I said, "Please try to get her phone number for me." The
following Sunday, she gave me Leslie Hamric's number.

In the years after I became blind, I never got much travel training. I never
went anywhere by myself. After I met Leslie, she and I took some walks
together. She gave me pointers about how to cross the street in a straight
line. "Fast," she said. Sometimes it works for me, and sometimes it doesn't.

I live on a corner, and when you cross my street, there's a long sidewalk
that goes down about a block. My first walk alone was down that sidewalk. I
was very nervous, but I did it, and I felt very good afterward. Now I take
walks around my neighborhood, and I take the neighborhood bus. Most
recently, I've taken the Paratransit bus. First I took it to a friend's
house, and then to Second Sense in Chicago to learn more blindness skills
and get some JAWS training.

I took my first bus ride alone to a place called Friendship Village. The
Lighthouse for the Blind was exhibiting things they have, such as talking
appliances and raised dots for marking stoves. Leslie told me that when you
go inside a building alone, just listen for voices and walk toward them.
Then you can ask directions to the room you're looking for. I was nervous,
but it turned out fine.

In the last few years I have learned Braille. I love to read! Even though I
lost my sight after the age of forty-five, I found out it's never too late
to learn something new. I've read a few books already. You have to stick
with it, and that's what I did.

Leslie also told me about the NFB. I joined! Last October I went to my first
NFB of Illinois convention. I gained a lot of confidence by going to it. I
met a lot of wonderful people and felt very free and independent. Everyone
was so nice and encouraging there-I hope to go again in the future!

It's a very good feeling to know you can do things as a blind person. You
just have to try; it helps to be a part of the NFB!

If it hadn't been for meeting Leslie and the NFB, I would not be trying to
live independently today. Long Live the NFB!

* * * * * * *

COLLEGE BOUND

by Meg Dowell

At eighteen, I did not want to go to college.

I wanted the education, the friends, the life experience-but I didn't feel
ready to leave home. Not even a semester at a community college seemed
enough to prepare me for moving away to start my education at a four-year
university. I had been accepted at my dream college, and I would have the
chance to pursue the major I'd picked out in high school. I should have been
ecstatic.

Accommodations weren't the problem. I knew how to advocate for myself. In
fact, some college professors are more willing than high school teachers to
accommodate a student with a visual impairment. I wasn't worried about
making friends, either. From the first day I could tell my roommate and I
were going to hit it off. So really, everything should have been fine.

I was enrolled at Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais, Illinois. The
campus isn't far from my home, and I had been there many times as I was
growing up. I was an Olivetian, born and raised. Surely I could figure out
college life.

"Mom!" I pressed the phone to my ear and looked around. "I think I'm lost."

Well, maybe not.

Mom verbally guided me back to my dorm (and no tears were shed during that
particular incident, thank you very much). It didn't take long for me to
figure out the relatively simple layout of my campus. Once I found where all
my classes were located, I stopped feeling like such a lost sheep.

The campus wasn't the source of my problems. What took me a long time was
coming to terms with my blindness.

I've been legally blind since birth, and I'd long ago made peace with my
blindness in a physical sense. But I still had some distance to go toward a
deeper acceptance. College is the place where you're supposed to "find
yourself," and by the time I approached my freshman year, I was growing
tired of letting my disability define me. Even though I insisted on calling
it my "visual dilemma," it had a major say in how I lived my life-and I
wasn't okay with that.

Until I attended my first NFBI convention, I'd only met one other visually
impaired person in my life. I didn't know what I was stumbling into that
first convention weekend, but once I made it through, I knew I would never
be the same. Everyone I met taught me to embrace my physical challenge and
turn it into a massive strength. Though I'd never made my blindness a
weakness, I still let it speak for me-and that's not what being blind is all
about. It's about accepting every part of yourself, even the parts that
don't work the way they're supposed to.

For the longest time I had shied away from the thing I wanted the most-to
study dietetics. I kept my longing a secret; I thought no one would support
me if I decided to pursue a major so "unsuitable" for a blind girl. Worse
still, I'd somehow talked myself into believing I couldn't do it even if I
tried.

But that same stubborn determination that convinced me to give college a try
finally won out. I was done letting my self-doubt run the show. I took a
chance, ignited a dream, and I haven't looked back since.

As I remember my first week living on my own, I realize I have nearly an
unlimited number of people to thank. They taught me that it's not about
being brave, but about having faith. Just because you can't see well doesn't
mean you have to wander around aimlessly or call Mom for help (even though
she's always there, just in case).

Being a college student with a disability has taught me never to let my
limitations stand in my way. People may not always understand our needs, but
that doesn't mean they're not willing to help. People may not always accept
us, but that doesn't mean they'll disrespect us. And if they do, well,
that's their loss.

If you ever do get lost and aren't sure where to go next, the NFBI has your
back (and a handy set of directions, too). If you're about to go off to
college for the first time, don't ever forget what you're leaving behind-a
past that will, eventually, shape your future. If you let that past become
an obstacle, there won't be a future. Face your fears. Discover who you are
and love every piece of who you will become.

* * * * * * *

BRAILLE ENRICHMENT FOR LITERACY AND LEARNING

The 2013 Illinois BELL Program

by Amy Lund

The National Federation of the Blind has developed an amazing curriculum
that enhances Braille literacy. It is a core belief that literacy means
reading, not listening, and Braille allows for this interaction with text.

On July 29, 2013, seven children from the Chicago area, ages four to
thirteen, started a Braille adventure. Participation in the NFB BELL Program
meant that the children were given instruction and enrichment opportunities
to improve their Braille reading and writing skills. Safe travel skills and
excursions were also included in our two-week adventure.

In our first week, the children were assessed by Gloria Moyer and Amy Lund,
the program's co-teachers. Knowing where the participants were starting with
their Braille skills was essential to plan the rest of their program.
Braille lessons were specifically chosen for the children to improve their
tracking, discrimination, letter identification, and reading rates. We also
explored some physical activities such as goalball. The children were able
to learn some of the basic rules and techniques of the sport. Everyone had a
great time listening for the bell in the ball and seeing if they could
locate the ball using their auditory skills.

We also traveled to the 12th Street Beach near Museum Campus, and we enjoyed
the lack of sun so no one got sunburned. Traveling on the bus was new for
some, but all listened well, and we arrived safely. We also traveled to the
Brookfield Zoo, where Charles and Nicolette allowed us to pet different
animals. The children and amazing blind mentors had a good time exploring
the textures of the animals and enjoying a beautiful day at the zoo with new
friends.

The second week of the BELL Program kicked off with lots of excitement for
the week. The children were all giddy for the excursions that were planned,
but first they had to do some Braille work! When Tuesday finally arrived,
the kids were excited to go rock climbing at the Chicago Athletic Club in
Lakeview. Keith and Rachel were fantastic at giving directions and keeping
everyone safe, and all the children had a great time. On the bus rides home,
some of the kids even started recognizing street names as the bus announced
them.

On our last trip of the program, the children and volunteers navigated to
Navy Pier to enjoy the food court and the Children's Museum. Each child
stayed within their budget amount for lunch and successfully navigated the
busy food court. We also had an opportunity to see the Chicago Lighthouse
for the Blind Store. Once paired with an adult mentor, the children were
able to explore the Children's Museum and have a blast! I heard mentors even
ask if they could jump into the activities because they looked like so much
fun. We knew it was a sign of a great trip when we had to wake children up
to transfer buses!

We were SO lucky to have incredible volunteers and blind mentors. I would
like to thank Bill, Samantha, Chaquita, Adnana, Casandra, Steve, Jemal,
Nadia, Brianna, Debi, Glenn, Marco, Mary, Hilda, Debbie S., Debbie P.,
Janna, Bruce, Alexa, Chris, Ashley, and Dave for their contributions to the
program.

At the close of each day we celebrated our achievements and shared our
excitement by ringing bells. The children celebrated their new literacy
successes and the accomplishments of their peers, and shared their
excitement about favorite activities. With each bell ringing, the volunteers
were excited to see the growth of the children, in just a single day.

* * * * * * *

DARE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

The 2013 NFBI Teacher/Parent Seminar

by Deborah Kent Stein

On May 10 and 11, 2013, the NFB of Illinois held a two-day seminar for
teachers and parents of blind and visually impaired children, "Dare to Make
a Difference." It was the fifth annual seminar that the NFBI has hosted for
parents and the second for teachers. The seminar took place at the Holiday
Inn Express Hotel and Suites in Chicago. The program on May 10 was geared
toward teachers, and the program on May 11 was directed primarily toward
parents. Teachers and parents were welcome to attend on both days.

Planning for the seminar began months in advance. It involved a seemingly
endless series of teleconference calls and email exchanges, beginning in
December of 2012. The fact that we have held successful conferences in the
past was a tremendous help. By now committee members have a clear idea what
needs to be done. Everyone rides out the inevitable glitches
philosophically, knowing that in the end things will turn out all right.

Our greatest challenge proved to be the conference date. Initially we hoped
that the seminar would take place in April, as it has in previous years. Due
to an assortment of scheduling conflicts, however, no April weekends were
available this year, and we decided to hold the conference in May. We soon
discovered that we were in direct competition with a host of proms,
weddings, graduations, church programs, and family outings. This was a
lesson learned! We will try to avoid hosting a May event in future years. On
the plus side, though, we're happy to know that our blind children and their
families lead such busy, active lives.

As always, spreading the word about the seminar to teachers and parents was
a labor-intensive undertaking. The first wave of flyers and registration
forms went out by email in January. Thirteen people made follow-up calls to
parents, letting them know about the seminar and encouraging them to attend.
The Seminar Committee worked closely with the Public Relations Committee to
reach schools, agencies, and individual teachers of the visually impaired.

As much as possible, we gathered ideas for program topics from parents and
teachers. Several teachers asked for an agenda item about helping blind
children become more independent at home and at school. This topic was
addressed on May 10th by a panel consisting of two teachers of the visually
impaired and the father of a blind daughter who was about to set off for
college.

Outside speakers gave presentations on both days of the seminar, and several
of the presentations were enlivened with hands-on activities. Carlton Anne
Walker, president of the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children
(NOPBC), gave the keynote speech to the parents. On each day of the seminar
she gave hands-on demonstrations of how to teach blind children to make
sandwiches and prepare hot chocolate. Each day of the program included the
chance for the participants to experience an accessible sports activity
firsthand-goalball for the teachers and judo for the parents. The children
in Kids Camp and the teens in the Teen Scene also took part in the judo
demonstration. As technology is always a topic of high interest, both days
of the seminar included a presentation on accessible features of the Apple
products by Helen Stevens, a technology instructor at BLIND, Inc. in
Minneapolis.

On Saturday, May 11, in conjunction with the Parents' Seminar, the NFBI
hosted all-day programs for children and teens. Kids Camp was open to
children between the ages of three and eleven. Youth age twelve to eighteen
attended the Teen Scene. The programs were open to blind children/teens and
their sighted siblings. Blind adults contributed to both programs as
volunteers. Activities at Kids Camp included story time, arts and crafts,
music, and a movie with audio description. Among the activities at Teen
Scene was a demonstration for the girls on how to apply makeup. The game of
zip and hit (stringball) was planned, but it did not take place for lack of
a Wiffle  ball bat-a serious oversight! The mentors quickly filled in with
an impromptu project of making Mother's Day cards.

Many highlights stand out as we look back over this year's seminar. One
couple said they were learning a lot and promised to bring their son, now
two, to Kids' Camp next year. One little girl told her mother, "Guess what!
We're coming back in six months!" referring to state convention. All of the
participants asked questions and shared their experiences. That's what we
hope for every year-lots of sharing and learning!

* * * * * * *

ACCESSING NFB NEWSLINE

WITH YOUR DIGITAL TALKING BOOK PLAYER

By David Meyer

During the past several years, the National Federation of the Blind has made
a concerted attempt to create new methods for users to access NFB NewsLine.
As a result, we now have several ways to access this service. You may access
NewsLine through a computer application called Webnews on Demand. Another
option is NewsLine in Your Pocket, an application that runs on several book
readers created for blind users. Podable News enables users to customize
their own newspaper reading. The Digital Talking Book Downloader enables the
user to copy NewsLine content onto a cartridge or flash drive and play it on
the NLS Digital Talking Book Machine.

The NLS Digital Downloader

Anyone who has the Digital Talking Book Player provided by the National
Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) and a
computer can use the Digital Talking Book Downloader. Any newspaper or
magazine now available on Nfb-NewsLine may be downloaded to a cartridge or
flash drive and played on the Digital Talking Book Player. As with any other
application of NewsLine, the user may download content and listen anywhere,
at any time, day or night.

With so many access methods available, what are the advantages of using the
Digital Talking Book Player to listen to NewsLine? First of all, you do not
need to buy an additional handheld reading device such as a Victor Stream,
Braille Plus, or Book Sense. Second, you can enjoy the excellent sound
quality offered by the Digital Talking Book Player. I find the sound to be
quite balanced when the machine is set to its default settings, but users
can experiment to find the setting they prefer.

Using the NLS Digital Downloader

In order to access NewsLine with the NLS Digital Downloader, you will need a
computer, a cartridge or flash drive, and a Digital Talking Book Player.
Also, you must install the Digital Talking Book Downloader to your computer.
You can find this software at www.nfbnewslineonline.org.

Two versions of the software are available. One includes Java software, and
the other is the DTB downloader minus the Java software. Unless you have
up-to-date Java software installed already, it is best to install the
version that includes Java.

Once you have installed the software, you can access it from your desktop by
hitting the letter n until you hear "NLS Digital Talking Book Downloader."
At this point you should have your flash drive or DTB cartridge connected to
your computer. Press 'Enter'You will be welcomed to the NLS Digital Talking
Book Downloader. The first time you have your drive connected, you will be
prompted for your six-digit NFB-NewsLine ID number and security code. Type
them in as prompted and press 'Enter' again. You will then be asked if you
wish to have your device identified as your NLS DTB device, with your name
being offered at the beginning of the prompt. Press 'y' for yes. Then press
'Enter' a third time to establish your connection.

In order to use the NLS Digital Downloader, you will need to have a
Favorites list established. You may use the Favorites list you have created
for your phone, or you may create a new Favorites list by going to the link
"Manage My DTB Favorites," which can be found under the link "Manage My
Favorites." Once you have established a Favorites list, the program will ask
you if you wish to download each item in your list. Type 'y' for yes or 'n'
for no and press 'Enter'. Continue this process until you have marked each
item in your Favorites list. Each individual newspaper or magazine will then
be downloaded to your cartridge or flash drive. You can monitor the download
by listening for the program to announce each individual megabyte that is
downloaded. The files are in MP3 format, so it could take quite some time to
download your selections.

Once the download is complete, press 'Control' plus 'c' to terminate the
program. You may then listen to NFB-Newsline on your Digital Talking Book
Player to your heart's content.

* * * * * * *

THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND STUDENTS (NABS)

A Report from National Convention

by Jimmy Dickman and Ashley Griggs

Many topics were covered at the NABS meeting at the NFB national convention.
Here is a short summary of the meeting.

There was a detailed discussion of the NFB scholarship program, with
information about the application process. The 2013 scholarship recipients
spoke about their majors, their plans for the future, and what the NFB means
to them. They were all very articulate.

Student president Sean Whalen gave a speech filled with quotes taken from
articles in the NABS publication, The Student Slate. All of them had to do
with being part of the NFB and not just focusing on NABS or on our own state
affiliates. Whalen ended his speech by saying, "What we do on the national
level is important, but don't let it stop here." He urged us to be involved
with our state affiliates, too. He told a story about a time when the Texas
student chapter forgot to inform the state affiliate of a seminar they
planned to hold. He said he was still recovering from the scolding!

Mary Fernandez gave a very funny and engaging talk about her life story. At
one point she told her grade school teachers that she did not want an aide
in class with her anymore. "From the shocked reaction I got, it was as if I
asked to bring my pet duck to school every day!" she said. Her English
teacher told her aide that she had to be in class with Mary; "What if she
falls out of her chair?" Mary said that as a child she resisted reading
Braille or using a cane. She explained that going to a training center gave
her confidence.

Cody Bair also gave a speech that stressed the importance of independence
and what going to a training center did for him. Being one with the
Federation and not just keeping to our state affiliates seemed to be a
recurring theme of the night, as Cody spoke about that as well.

Another topic was accessible textbooks. We heard from representatives from
Desire to Learn and Bookshare. On the topic of technology, Bruce Gardner
described how he uses the Victor Reader Stream as a teleprompter when he
gives speeches.

We also heard about two projects in which the NFB is involved. The first one
involves taking surveys to help determine the accessibility of certain
products. The other is about pairing blind students with mentors who can
help them find jobs.

In the NABS elections, two new board members were elected. They are Cody
Bair and Tony Olivero.

During her presentation, the representative from Bookshare mentioned that
the NABS meeting is one of the highlights of convention for her. People were
very enthusiastic throughout the night, so it seems her statement was true
for everyone.

* * * * * * *

TIPS AND TRICKS

Keeping Track of Socks

by Gina Falvo

This idea came from a discussion during a Membership Renewal Committee
conference call. We thought it would be a good idea for people to submit
blindness tips and tricks to the newsletter. Here is my laundry tip.

I use sock sorters to keep my pairs of socks together. Sock sorters are
little plastic rings. You push the paired socks through the ring, and they
stay together in the wash.

However, somehow I've lost a lot of paired socks between the basket and the
washer. Now when I empty my clothes hamper, I put my pairs of socks into a
small waste can until I wash them. It keeps them from wandering off. Small
waste cans also come in handy to help knitters keep the balls of yarn from
rolling away.

* * * * * * *

I AM FROM .

A Poem by Rupa Sprecher

(Winner of the 2013 NFB Youth Writing Contest)

Editor's Note: Rupa Sprecher is a seventh grader at James Farnsworth
Elementary School in Chicago.

I am from the stereo in my living room

from lacy dresses and a bed

I am from the big brick Cape Cod house

music being played in my bedroom

I am from the lilac bush

whose long-gone limbs I remember

as if they were my own.

I'm from black hair and eating dinner together

from mom, dad, and little sister

I'm from sleeping late and not wanting to wake up.

I'm from "Do your homework" and "Be responsible"

and You Belong with Me.

I'm from India and America

curry and hamburgers

from meeting my new sister

a picture of me in my dress with the cape on the back

that is in the living room by the window.

* * * * * *

IN MEMORIAM: CONNIE DAVIS

by Deborah Kent Stein

On January 3, 2013, the Braille Examiner lost its able editor-in-chief,
Connie Davis. She had battled ovarian cancer for seven months.

Connie Davis became editor of the Braille Examiner in 2003, and she
alternated in the positions of editor-in-chief and coeditor until her
passing. In November 2012, only a few weeks before her death, she produced
her last issue.

Born with albinism, Connie grew up in Mattoon, a small town in central
Illinois. Although few services were available for children with low vision,
she attended her neighborhood school. After completing high school, she
attended Illinois State and Eastern Illinois Universities, earning a
teaching degree.

Connie was never able to drive--a serious limitation in a town such as
Mattoon, which had no public transportation. After graduating from college
she lived with her family and worked in a nearby day-care center. However,
she was eager to move out on her own. After a year she obtained a teaching
position in an elementary school in Nashville, Indiana. Like Mattoon,
Nashville was a small town. Because the school was within walking distance
of her apartment, travel to and from work was not a problem. Later Connie
moved back to Illinois and taught in the town of Galva.

Through Bryan Johnson, a Federationist from Mattoon, Connie became
acquainted with the National Federation of the Blind. Federationists
encouraged her to look for a job in Chicago, where she would have the
freedom to travel wherever she pleased on the buses and subways.

In 1982 Connie was hired to teach Spanish and French at a small Catholic
high school, St. Gregory's Academy, on Chicago's North Side. She loved her
work, and she was thrilled by her new life in the big city. She often
referred to her "lifelong love affair with Chicago."

As soon as she got settled in Chicago, Connie became active in the Chicago
Chapter of the NFB of Illinois. She chaired the Membership Committee in the
mid 1980s, and later she chaired the Program Committee. She also served as
Chicago Chapter secretary and as second vice president. On the national
scene, Connie founded a listserv for people with albinism.

Like many people with partial vision, Connie resisted using a long white
cane for years. However, after injuries from a series of falls, she began to
use a cane in December of 2010. She described her decision in an article in
the Braille Examiner, "A Dose of Humility and Reality" (Preconvention Issue
2011). She hoped that her experience would encourage other people with low
vision to accept the benefits that a cane could offer them.

Although she functioned visually in many ways, Connie regarded herself as "a
blind person with some sight." She understood and respected blindness
techniques, and she knew that Federationists would gladly teach her to use
them any time she needed to learn.

With Connie's passing, the Braille Examiner lost a dedicated editor, and the
NFB of Illinois lost a deeply committed long-time member. We miss you,
Connie! Rest in peace!

* * * * * * *

REMEMBERING CONNIE

by Meg Dowell

I always used to think it would be cliché to look back on someone's illness
and marvel about how they never complained. That was before I learned of
Connie Davis's condition, before I learned of her decline-and then, over
Facebook, learned of her passing. Now as I look back on those months, I find
that her optimism through the ordeal still amazes me.

I stumbled upon the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois as a
freshman in college, and as a sophomore I found myself diving headfirst into
all it had to offer me. Before the weekend of my first convention had ended,
I had earned myself a scholarship, a seat on the IABS board, and a plethora
of new friends. Not too long after that, I found out about the Braille
Examiner. I knew, as an aspiring writer, that I had at least to call into
the next meeting.

After introducing herself to me that night-"Hi Meg, I'm so sorry I could not
be at convention this year to have met you in person!"-Connie put me right
to work as a proofreader. Then she started sending me articles, asking if I
would be willing to look them over before she put them into the draft for
the rest of the proofreaders to comb through. We emailed back and forth on a
regular basis, talking about writing, editing, and the next issue of the
Examiner. In retrospect I consider her one of my mentors as I wrestled with
my decision to continue the pursuit of an English major while scrambling to
catch up on another major as well. With each assignment she handed over to
me, Connie reignited my passion for writing and editing-without even
realizing she was doing it.

I first heard about Connie's illness on an Examiner call, planning out our
next issue with the rest of the committee. She almost waved it off as no big
deal, mentioning her treatments and what she wanted the timing of our work
to be like, depending on how she might feel a few months from then. "I'll
get through it," I remember her saying at one point. Then we moved on to
discuss who would proofread the articles coming in, and that was that.

At our annual convention in October 2012, I met Connie in person for what
proved to be the first and only time in my life. "It's so great to finally
meet you!" she said with a smile. But we were in a crowded hallway, and
there wasn't much time to chat. "We'll catch up later," she said, and we all
filed into the room for our next session. I listened to her speak on the
cancer panel that day, encouraged by her words even though I hadn't watched
many people in my life suffer such an illness before.

We didn't end up getting together to "catch up" that weekend. It was okay,
though; I knew there would be another time. I thought there would be another
time.

Every time I talked to Connie, I was inspired. Her attitude toward the whole
thing, even though we really didn't talk much about it specifically, made me
believe I could fight any battle I ever walk into through the stages of my
life. She was so optimistic that when we lost touch over that last month, I
figured it was just because she was busy-busy living her life, getting
through the treatments, working toward feeling better.

Then, the Friday before I returned to school for the spring semester, I
learned that Connie had fought all she could-and lost.

It bothered me that I hadn't gotten to know her better, that I hadn't made
time at convention to sit down to eat with her at least once, or to say
goodbye to her before leaving the hotel at the end of the weekend. It took a
long time for me to accept that I had known her better than I ever could
have if I hadn't called into that first Examiner phone conference. The thing
about life is, people walk into it-with a cane or without, seeing you
physically or seeing what's beneath the surface-and they change you, usually
without meaning to. And then, eventually, they walk away. Part of
growing-growing up, growing old, growing wise-is knowing that's the way it
goes; that's the way it will always go.

Connie is missed-she will always be missed. It's been long enough since her
passing now that I can look back on the months I knew her and smile,
remembering all the advice she ever gave me and hoping she smiles, too, as
she watches my dreams come true.

* * * * * * *

CALENDAR

October 12, 2013

11 AM: Four Rivers Chapter Meeting

1 PM: Chicago Chapter Read-a-Thon, Exchequer Pub and Restaurant, 226 S.
Wabash, Chicago

October 14

8 PM: Illinois Association of Blind Students Meeting, 805-360-1000 (pass
code 4227)

October 25-27

NFB of Illinois Convention, Park Hotel, Bloomington, Illinois

November 3

7 PM: At Large Chapter Meeting, 805-360-1000 (pass code 6324)

November 9

11 AM: Four Rivers Chapter Meeting

1 PM: Chicago Chapter Meeting, Exchequer Pub and Restaurant, 226 S. Wabash,
Chicago