[il-talk] iPhone App-Pub. Trans. Tracking

Kelly Pierce kellytalk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 15:18:46 UTC 2013

I have been analyzing transit apps.  I haven’t been out to the suburbs
to figure out if the apps that say they work with Pace actually do.
My favorite CTA app is one called Ride Chicago.  This app finds all
the transit points near you and displays them in a list with the
distance to each one.  The transit points include all CTA bus stops
and rail stations.  There is no need to scroll down lengthy lists.  If
the end user travels regularly at a stop, it can be saved as a
favorite.  Once a bus stop is chosen, the app then displays the
arrival time, minutes before each arrival and the distance the bus is
to the stop for the next several buses.  It is also possible to select
the stop from a list of routes and a list of stops on that route. Ride
Chicago is free.

The issue with Metra apps is that departure times may be listed, but
the trains include express service.  This problem really applies to
the downtown trains.  Because a departure time is listed for a given
train line, the train might not stop at the desired station because
the train is an express strain that skips some stations. It is
important to have some basic schedule awareness between the two Metra
stations that you are traveling to.  I searched on the app store for
Metra and have downloaded some apps.  I haven’t yet really done much
review and analysis of them though.

Kelly