[il-talk] Work Advice

Sameer Doshi sameer.doshi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 01:33:58 UTC 2013

Nick,
     Influence by example.
     Marking up contracts with Post-Its might be easy but it doesn't seem
like the right approach.  Post-Its can fall off, they're small, and rely on
reading others' handwriting (an invitation for information to be scrambled
between even sighted individuals).
     Have someone transcribe the notes in a sample contract using either a
separate document (referencing page/line numbers), or through the comments
feature of Acrobat or Word.   Then setup time with your mentor to explain
the challenge and walk him through your sample document- explaining the
advantages: notes' persistence, virtually unlimited length, no dependence
on translating messy handwriting, and oh by the way you can read them
without assistance).  If you present this as a challenge with an easy
solution perhaps your mentor will be open to use this approach.  Plus if
she's anything like me-  she'll prefer typing,  rather than write her notes.
    If you're worried about this bringing this up because you're new- don't
be- most people like the fresh new ideas new people bring especially when
they come with examples.  Plus mentoring is a two-way conversation.
    For the record though- I admire the ingenuity in your approach to using
tactile dots or braille tape on post its!   That's a really good idea.    I
do think you're going to find the approach doesn't scale though.  (if
you're sighted you can fit LOTS of text onto even a half post-it but I
doubt you'll be able to add more than a sentence in Braille).

--
Sameer Doshi
Sameer.Doshi at gmail.com
O: 630.863.7997