[il-talk] November HAWK TALK

Lmm3527 at aol.com Lmm3527 at aol.com
Thu Oct 31 21:28:03 UTC 2013

National Federation of the Blind
of Illinois
Blackhawk  Chapter

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,
National  Federation of the Blind of Illinois

November 1, 2013

Contact info:
Lois Montgomery, President
3527 - 12th  Avenue
Moline, IL 61265
(309)236-1675
_Lmm3527 at aol.com_ (mailto:Lmm3527 at aol.com)

Hello everyone!  The leaves are falling and there’s a chill in the  air.
Don’t despair!  Come join us – the company and conversation will  warm you
up!  Get the date marked on your calendar and make plans to meet  with your
Federation family – you’ll be glad you did!

THIS MONTH’S MEETING
Our next meeting will be held on Saturday, November 9th, at 1:30  p.m., at
the South Moline Township Center located at 637 - 17th Avenue in East
Moline.

Did you participate in “Birdies for Charity”?  If so, be sure to  attend
the meeting.  Cash prizes will be awarded to the person who  collected the
most dollar value of pledges as well as the person who collected  the most
pledges.  Also, all chapter members who participated in this  fundraiser will
have a chance at winning a prize as well!

Elections will be held for all officers and board members.  Remember,  all
officers will now serve a two-year term.  The board members will serve  a
one-year term before the two-year term begins at elections in 2014.  Only
members are eligible to vote.

Please bring your left-over Community Day booklets and the money you have
collected from the sales to the meeting.  Pat Olson will be collecting and
tallying the numbers.  She must return any unsold booklets to the  store.

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

Chapter member Mark Clayburne, Jr., demonstrated the accessibility of the
Mac Book Pro to twenty-two members.  Questions were answered followed by  “
hands-on” time with the device.

MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT

Another successful state convention has come and gone.  This year the
gathering was held in Bloomington where a new chapter formed several months  ago.

I will be picking up the Birdies for Charity check on November 1st.
Thanks to all who participated in this fundraiser.

Elections will be held at our upcoming meeting.  All officers and  board
seats will be filled.  Remember, only members are eligible to vote so  check
with Jean Rauschenbach to make sure you are a paid member of the  chapter.

Mark December 14th on your calendar!  This is the date for our annual
chapter Christmas Party.  The evening is always filled with great food,  fun,
and fellowship.  Once again, it will be held at Christ United  Methodist
Church in East Moline.  There will be a Silent Auction,  entertainment, door
prizes, and much more!  Don’t delay!  Make your  reservations at the chapter
meeting or by contacting me.  In order to  attend you must make a reservation.
The church needs a count for the  dinner so don’t delay!  Join in the
festivities!

We continue to seek youth for Stepping Out, a local program for junior and
senior high students.  A flyer has been completed – would you help
distribute it throughout the QC area?  If interested in mentoring or  helping in
any way, please contact me.  Several weeks ago we met in  Davenport to enjoy
an afternoon of bowling.

We, as a chapter, must work together to accomplish our goals. There’s
plenty for each and every one of us to do, regardless of your interests or
skills.  Help with making reminder calls, transportation, or whatever you  see
that needs attention; a few minutes of your time will go far and would be
greatly appreciated.

I want to thank all for the support given to me throughout the past  year.
I will not be seeking re-election.  For those who have  contributed in any
way – thank you.  Please continue with your support to  the chapter.

I look forward to continue working with you. Any concerns, comments, and/or
 suggestions are welcome.

MEMBERSHIP

It’s time to renew your membership for 2014.  Not a member? No  problem!
Bring $2 to a chapter meeting or send by snail mail to
Lois Montgomery
3527 - 12th Avenue
Moline, IL 61265

PEOPLE REPORT

Larry and Cindy Hines have escaped to Arizona for the winter months to
enjoy the warmer climate.  We’ll see you in the spring.

John TeBockhorst will soon begin training at BLIND, Inc., in  Minneapolis.
We wish you well!

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following chapter members will celebrate birthdays in  November:
4 Jeanmarie Cole
15 Linda  Jasper-Carey
19 Kaitlyn Ryan
28 Kevin  Hildebrandt

FUND RAISING

The chapter continues its 50/50 raffle.  Have you purchased your  ticket
yet?  If not, be sure to see Lois Montgomery for your chance to win  the pot!
$1 each or 6/$5.  The drawing will be held at the Christmas  Party.  Good
luck!

UPCOMING EVENTS

November 3rd – Daylight Savings Time ends.  Fall back!  Remember  to set
your clock back one hour.

November 5th – Election Day

November 11th – Veterans’ Day

November 15th & 16th – Community Days at Younkers.  Time to use  your
coupon booklet!

November 28th – Thanksgiving

December 14th – Chapter Christmas Party at Christ United Methodist Church
located at 3801 - 7th Street in East Moline.  Be at the church by 5:30 p.m.
Dinner will be served at 6:00 p.m., and the party will end at approximately
8:30  p.m. Reservations must be made in advance – the last day to do so is
December  9th. Reservations may be made at the chapter meeting or by
contacting Lois  Montgomery at (309)236-1675. Once again we will be holding a
Silent Auction so  donations of homemade goodies would be greatly appreciated.
December 14th is  just around the corner! Please plan to come – guests and
family members are  welcome. Come for an evening of fun, fellowship, and great
food.

TECH TALK
New Synthesizer Voices for JAWS Screen  Reader
Back when I first started using a screen reader some twenty years ago, the
synthesizer was actually a separate piece of hardware.  The synthesizer,
DecTalk, was a box almost the size of a PC tower, and was something that had
to  be purchased in addition to the screen reader.&

Then in the late ‘90’s, I think, the software synthesizers came  along.
An example was DecTalk32.  What was great there was the  synthesizer was
incorporated into the screen reader software, and it was  free.

Then in the early 2000’s (again, I think) the software synthesizer
Eloquence was made part of the JAWS software, and became pretty much the  standard
voice for the screen reader.  Some sighted people think Eloquence  sounds
mechanical and is hard to understand, but when you’ve listened to it as  long
as I have, it sounds pretty natural.

But something new has come down the pike when it comes to software
synthesizers.  And that is Vocalizer.  It’s free, and it’s promoted as  a more
human-like voice.  That’s the good news.  The bad news is that  right now it
will work only with JAWS 14.

For more information on Vocalizer voices for JAWS, go to:

http://www.freedomscientific.com/downloads/Vocalizer/VocalizerDirect.asp

There you will find more information, and also links to download the
voices.  You have a choice of either two different female voices or one  male
voice.  What’s cool is there are links on the website to play MP3  files giving
you a sample of how each of the three voices sound.  Note that  if you
download a Vocalizer voice onto your computer and decide you don’t want  to
stick with it, you can always switch back to your previous used synthesizer
voice.

If you have questions, contact me.

Bob Gardner
_rgardner4 at gmail.com_ (mailto:rgardner4 at gmail.com)
309-236-6606

BOOK REVIEW

Got a book you found rather interesting to read?  Why not share it  with
others?  Contact me with a short overview.

The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini

Growing Up
Human Relations

An Afghan in California recalls a fateful 1975 day in Kabul that seared his
 soul at age twelve–the day he won a kite tournament and abandoned a
younger  companion to rape.  That cowardice keeps haunting him during exile in
America until the opportunity for atonement arises–back in Taliban-controlled
Afghanistan.  Violence and some strong language.  2003. – BARD  annotation

RECIPE CORNER

Help!  We need your favorite recipe to share with other chapter  members.
Bring it to a chapter meeting, email it to _Lmm3527 at aol.com_
(mailto:Lmm3527 at aol.com)  or send it by snail mail to  3527 - 12th Avenue, Moline, IL
61265.  Thanks!  We can’t wait to test  our taste buds!

This month’s recipe comes from chapter member Kathy Abbott.  Just in  time
for the upcoming holidays!  It’s one of my favorites -- quick and  easy, but
best of all, it’s  DELICIOUS!

CRANBERRY SALAD

Combine -
1 bag cranberries, ground
1 cup sugar

Let set overnight.

Add -
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
1 bag small  marshmallows
½ to 1 cup pecan pieces (I use 1 cup or a little more)
1  small container Cool Whip

Enjoy!

MEMBER PROFILE
JAY BLANCHARD

Jay has been a chapter member for six years, two of which he served as a
board member.

He has resided in the Quad-City area most of his life.  He has one  son.
Jay is engaged to chapter member Leah Slightom.

  A graduate of Moline High School Jay later attended vocational  school to
learn auto mechanics.

Approximately eight years ago Jay noticed a change in the vision of one
eye.  He was diagnosed with histoplasmosis and because of this, was unable  to
renew his driver’s license.

For seven years Jay worked as a union cement masonry until his vision
prevented him to continue.

Activities and hobbies include sports, travel, dining out, and
watching/listening to movies.

Travels have taken Jay to Kansas, Indiana, Missouri, Texas, Arizona, and
Mexico.

Adaptive technology used includes Zoomtext, a laptop, hand-held magnifier,
and monocular.

Jay’s goal is to return to the workforce.  He is currently enrolled in
courses through the Hadley School for the Blind.

His advice to others: “ . . . keep a steady head . . . don’t give up . . .
 don’t lose hope . . . “