[il-talk] update on my life

Steven Hastalis steve.hastalis at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 22:22:27 UTC 2014

I tried to get your e-mail address from your message, but I only got the
il-talk address.  I therefore replied to you on list.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.  Your message reminds me that
I attended this program 50 years ago this summer, when I was 12 years old.

Since then, I finished elementary school, high school, received a BS degree
from the University of Illinois, Urbana, and worked 35 years for the Chicago
Transit Authority, from which I retireed about four and a half years ago.

As a blind person growing up in Chicago, I realized very early in my life
that I would not drive.  I therefore developed an avid and life-long
interest in anything related to travel, especially mass transit and
intercity rail passenger service.

I joined NFB 46 years ago, with the establishment of the current Illinois
affiliate in Chicago.  Since then, I have participated actively in many
capacities, most recently Chicago Chapter Treasurer and NFBI Transportation
Committee Vice-Chair.  Over the years, I have shown many blind people
transit systems throughout the country.

I would like to meet you and share my interest in independent travel by
blind people.

Here is my contact information:

Steve Hastalis, Home Phone, (773) 508-5307; e-mail steve.hastalis at gmail.com.

Cordially,