[il-talk] {Disarmed} Fw: Android Revisted - August eNews

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 14:46:57 UTC 2014

National Braille PressFYI

From: Brian MacDonald, NBP
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2014 8:00 AM
To: rgardner4 at gmail.com
Subject: Android Revisted - August eNews

      Having trouble? View this message on our website.

            Forward to a Friend | Donate | nbp.org
                  August 2014

                        Android Revisited

                        Marco Zehe, QA Engineer at Mozilla Accessibility, wrote a recent blog post about updates in Android that benefit blind and visually impaired users. Marco wrote:

                        Just over a year ago, I conducted an experiment to see whether it would be possible for me to switch to an Android device full-time for my productive smartphone needs. The conclusion back then was that there were still too many things missing for me to productively switch to Android without losing key parts of my day to day usage. However, there were several changes over the past 15 or so months that prompted me to revisit this topic. Read the full post on Android accessibility.

                        NBP Announces New Leadership

                        H. Clifford Watkin is NBP’s new Chairman of the Board of Trustees. Cliff was introduced to National Braille Press when he ran in the Blindfold Challenge at the Vision 5K with his son, Bramm. Cliff recalls how the experience changed his life. "I will never forget how the sounds of the race from behind my blindfold came to life in a way that, as a sighted person, I never expected.  Life is different as a blind person, but the successes and the obstacles we all experience, are shared."

                        Longtime NBP Trustee, Dr. Nicholas Racheotes, was appointed Vice-Chairman of the Board of Trustees in June. Nick is a historian and recently retired professor from Framingham State University. A braille reader since age 11, Dr. Racheotes reads braille in English, French, Modern Greek, and Russian and employs it to deliver lectures, in his research and writing, and his foreign language studies.

                        Also appointed at the 2014 Annual Meeting were Trustees Paul McLaughlin as Treasurer and Shelly O'Neill as Clerk. NBP is thankful to have such dedicated and forward-thinking leadership.

                        Read more about Cliff Watkin and Nicholas Racheotes.

                        Convention Best-sellers!

                        NBP is back from the 2014 national conventions in Orlando and Las Vegas, and we've tallied the best-selling books and products.

                        Best-selling books include original publications, iOS 7 Reference Card, Healthy Frozen Meals, and Learn to Use the Mac with VoiceOver.

                        Print/braille magnets are always a hit. This year's most popular were "Be the person your dog thinks you are," and "Good friends are like stars.You don't always see them, but you know they are always there." View the complete list of best-sellers.

                  Connect with NBP

                  A Million Laughs for LIteracy Gala

                  Introducing Our Co-Chairs

                  Tom Sullivan

                  Chairman and Founder

                  Lumber Liquidators

                  Tom Crohan

                  Senior VP and Counsel

                  John Hancock

            Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Visit our web site

            National Braille Press. © 2013 All rights reserved.
            88 Saint Stephen Street Boston, MA 02115-4302