[il-talk] Fw: [Nfbc-info] Bus Driver Takes Blind Student's Cane...

Illinois Committee of Blind Vendors icbv at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 22 16:15:39 UTC 2014

Here is more information on the child whose cane was taken away 'as punishment'.
Thursday, December 18, 2014 09:44PM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (WLS) --
A school took away an 8-year-old blind boy's cane and replaced it with a pool noodle as punishment for acting up, the boy's father told ABC News.

Dakota Nafzinger was born without eyes, a rare condition called bilateral anophthalmia. Dakota's dad says the boy often taps the cane while he listens to music, but the driver took it away when he tossed it in the air this week.

Donald Nafzinger says the school thought his son was acting up, and replaced the cane with a foam pool noodle. Nafizinger told local media about the incident because "there weren't enough caring people left in this world."

"It's his eyes," Nafzinger told ABC News. "He said he was upset because that's something he needs to get around with."

Dakota's school system, near Kansas City, Missouri, has apologized for the incident and has since given the boy his cane back.

"The district has reviewed the situation," North Kansas City Schools wrote in a statement. "We regret that a mistake was made in making sure the student was in possession of his cane when he boarded the bus Monday evening. The District has apologized to the family and is working to rectify the situation. When we were made aware of the mistake, corrections were made. It is always the District's policy when we become aware of situations like this, we thoroughly and immediately investigate to ensure a safe learning environment for all students."

Thank you,
Kathy Ungaro
Illinois Committee of Blind Vendors
53 W. Jackson Blvd. Suite 502
Chicago, IL 60604

This message (including attachments) is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without further distribution and reply to the sender that you have received the message in error.