[il-talk] sample e-mail for senator

Gregory Chang Patti pattischang at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 16:29:58 UTC 2014

Below is the e-mail I sent today.  It is a sample which people can feel free to utilize.  I took most of it right from Rose' e-mail to us.

Patti Gregory Chang
NFBI President
NFB Scholarship Committee Chair

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gregory Chang Patti <pattischang at gmail.com>
Subject: Issues effecting the blind in Illinois
Date: February 12, 2014 10:27:19 AM CST
To: Durbin Dick <Binta_Beard at Durbin.Senate.gov>
Cc: Sloan Rose <rsloan at nfb.org>, Chang Patti <pattischang at gmail.com>

I write to urge your support of the legislative agenda of the National Federation of the Blind.  Our three major initiatives for 2014 are outlined below.  Right now we are asking Senator Durbin to cosponsor S346 and S556.

1. The Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act of 2013 (H.R. 831)

H.R. 831 phases out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act, which
allows employers to pay disabled workers subminimum wages.  This bill will
end this exploitative practice, giving disabled Americans equal protection
under the law to earn at least the federal minimum wage.

2. Technology, Education, Accessibility in College and Higher Education
(TEACH) (HR 3505)

TEACH will create accessibility guidelines so that schools know what
accessibility means.  This Act will level the playing field for students
with disabilities at colleges and universities who currently are at a
disadvantage since they are not receiving appropriate accommodations.

3. The Air Carrier Accessibility Amendments Act (S 556)

Passenger interaction with technology is a central component of air travel.
The Air Carrier Access Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of
disability by airlines, but it was written before the emergence of
modern-day technology. In flight services are inaccessible to blind
travelers despite readily-available solutions, resulting in segregation and
substandard service. ACAA calls for in flight services in air travel to be
accessible to blind passengers.

Patti S. Gregory-Chang Esq.