[il-talk] Small Challenge Update

Rose Sloan rosesloan920 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 12:59:56 UTC 2014

Dear NFBI,

I am happy to announce that we doubled the letters sent to Reps and
Senators yesterday. We are up to 4!!  This is okay... but WE CAN DO BETTER.
 Please take some time over the weekend to write your Reps and Senators if
you have not already.  Below, please find emails that I thought were
especially well done.  Feel free to use it as a template for your letters.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me at
RSloan at nfb.org.  Don't forget to cc me on your notes to Reps and Senators.
 (I'll stop bugging you guys if you do! :) )

Take care,

Rose

LETTER TO REPS:

Hello,

I am writing today to request that Representative Foster sign on as a
co-sponsor of HR 831 and HR 3505.  As a blind individual residing in
Naperville I want to express the importance of these bills to the
disability community.

HR 831 phases out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act, which
allows employers to pay disabled workers subminimum wages.  There is no
reasonable argument in a civilized society for employees with disabilities
to be paid less than their peers without disabilities.

This practice must end and this legislation will do just that.

HR 3505 will create accessibility guidelines so that post-secondary
institutions know what accessibility means for blind students.  Blind
students are at a distinct disadvantage compared with their sighted peers
when it comes to access to technology, course materials and other aspects
of learning.

I appreciate Representative Foster's consideration of this legislation. I
expect that after spending time reviewing the legislation he will certainly
lend his support to the passage of these important bills.  Please feel free
to contact me with any questions via email at _____________ or via phone at
____________.

Sincerely,

LETTER TO SENATORS:

Hello,

I am writing today to seek Senator Dirbin's co-sponsorship of S 556 and S
346.  As a blind resident of Illinois I want the Senator to understand the
importance of these bills to the disability community.

The Air Carrier Access Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of
disability by airlines, but it was written before the emergence of
modern-day technology. In flight services are inaccessible to blind
travelers despite readily-available solutions, resulting in segregation and
substandard service. S 556 calls for in flight services in air travel to be
accessible to blind passengers.

Currently, 100% service disabled veterans do not qualify for the program
"space available." This program allows retired veterans to ride on military
aircraft for free if space is available.  As 100% disabled veterans became
disabled while serving our country, I think it makes sense for them to be
included in this program and S 346 would allow that to happen.

I appreciate the Senator's consideration of these bills.  I am certain that
after reviewing the legislation the Senator will lend his support to the
passage of the legislation.  If you have any questions you may contact me
via email at ___________ or via phone at _____________.

Sincerely,