[il-talk] A Brief Report on Midwest Meetup

Christopher Meyer christopher.meyer007 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:54:33 UTC 2014

Hello IL Federationists:

I am happy to report on a great day at the North Avenue Beach in your home
state of Illinois! We had about 25 participants and a fun, relaxing day at
the Midwest Meetup. I witnessed some new friendships and discussions
occurring, and saw old friends reconnect. We at the NFB of IN and IL student
divisions are very happy to have had this opportunity!

During the day, we enjoyed the sand and surf (very little surf), the company
of fellow blind students, the chance to learn from one another, and more.
Jacob Ayers showed off some interesting wares he has created at the Field
Museum; Bri Lillyman and I facilitated a discussion on the purpose and role
of NFB student divisions. All around we heard thanks and appreciation for
the chance to come together in this way.

One bit of kind thanks from a Midwest Meetup participant, Silvia McVay, came
through Facebook yesterday: "Had a great day yesterday... Thanks for all who
helped out and planned the trip to Chicago."
Couldn't be more appreciative of thanks like this. We love being involved in
these great opportunities!

In turn, I extend yet another big thanks to President Chang and Board Member
Stein for their consistent support in arranging our logistics, patiently
guiding us through the details, and helping us past unexpected hurdles. I am
always very humbled by your kind support and the chances to lead in the
Federation. Thank you to NFB-IL at large for your support as well!

I also want to give a shout-out to the Meetup committee who made this all
possible: to Bri Lillyman, Glenn Moore, Sarah Meyer of Indiana, Rylie
Robinson of Indiana--again--thank you!

For more conversation and wrapping up the event, feel free to join our
Indiana student division conference call this evening at 8PM Eastern (7
Central). I know this is rather soon, but wanted to offer. Also, I am sure
IABS will be doing the same soon, but you are welcome here with us.

In case you are interested, see the info below...
Conference Credentials
Dial-in Number: (712) 432-1212
Meeting ID: 773-778-131

All the Best from Your Hoosier Students Next Door,
Christopher Meyer
President, Indiana Association of Blind Students
chsmeyer at indiana.edu | 765-480-2978