[il-talk] Fwd: Chicago is SILLY with audio description this spring

pattischang at gmail.com pattischang at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 15:36:34 UTC 2014

Subject: FW: Chicago is SILLY with audio description this spring

All:   Below lSubject: Chicago is SILLY with audio description this spring

Hope you’re enjoying the balmy weather, folks –

So, this email has three goals:

GOAL ONE: To give you details about two April performances presented by guest theatre companies in Steppenwolf’s Garage Theatre that will feature audio description and touch tours.

GOAL TWO: To list all of the different Chicago theaters presenting plays featuring audio description over the course of March and April. (By my count, there are nine different companies presenting 12 different performances.) Please note that most of the performances have nothing to do with Steppenwolf, and will be presented at each theater’s respective venues with tickets for sale at each theater’s respective box office.

Why am I emailing about other theater companies doing audio description?

Because I’m very proud of our city right now – that’s nine companies doing good work, folks.

GOAL THREE: To encourage you to check out the other theaters offering audio description, especially the ones that are newer to the game: Theatre Wit, American Blues Theatre, Prologue Theatre Company and The New Colony. They’re all doing fantastic work, and it’s important that they see a demonstration of support so that they’ll continue to offer the services!

Let me know if you have any questions, please!

Thanks –

Evan

Prologue Theatre Company and The New Colony in Steppenwolf’s Garage Theatre

Prologue Theatre Company presents

SATURDAY NIGHT/SUNDAY MORNING

by Katori Hall

Directed by TaRon Patton

Audio Description by Jack Miggins

Audio Description and Touch Tour – Saturday, April 5

Touch Tour: 2pm -- Curtain: 4 pm

Tickets: $20

About the play

Memphis, 1945: Miss Mary's beauty parlor and boarding house is alive and hopping—full of young African American women primping their hair and telling stories of their soldiers overseas. But as the final days of WWII approach, the women wrestle with the uncertainty of what the future will hold when—and if—their men return. Hilarious and historical, Saturday Night/Sunday Morning is a story about finding friendship and love in unexpected places.

The New Colony presents

REWILDING GENIUS

By Andrew Hobgood and Megan Johns

Directed by Andrew Hobgood

Audio Description and Touch Tour – Saturday, April 12

Touch Tour: 2 pm -- Curtain: 4 pm

Audio Describer: Shayne Kennedy

Tickets: $20

An Uptown Chicago loft becomes a breeding ground for Millennials looking to change the world. Self-identified geniuses, cybervigilantes, hacktivists and anarchists cast off the laws of the land as they attempt to alter Humanity’s fate. As they plot against  enemies and build complex data schemes, reWILDing Genius asks how far is too far in our quest to save us from ourselves.

Box Office

When ordering tickets, please tell the operator that you’re interested in audio description – that helps us find you the spots in the theatre with the clearest views.

In person 1650 N Halsted
Phone (312) 335-1650
TTY (312) 335-3830
E-mail access at steppenwolf.org
Box Office Hours
Open 7 days a week except for certain major holidays
11 AM to 5 PM Mon-Sat & 1 PM to 5 PM Sun
Open until 7 PM on days with evening performances

Steppenwolf is located near all forms of public transportation and is wheelchair accessible.  Street and lot parking are available.  Assistive listening devices and large print programs are available for every performance.

Chicago Theatres: Upcoming Audio Description and/or Touch Tours

Most (but not all) of these audio-described performances feature pre-show touch tours. To confirm the existence of a touch tour, please contact the individual theater company.

Friday, March 21 – 7:30pm curtain
Victory Gardens presents
The Gospel of Lovingkindness
Website: http://victorygardens.org/
Box office: 773-871-3000

Saturday, March 22 – 11am curtain
Chicago Shakespeare Theater presents
Short Shakespeare! A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Website: http://www.chicagoshakes.com/
Box office: 312-595-5600

Wednesday, March 26 – 7:30 curtain
Goodman Theatre presents
Venus in Fur
Website: http://www.goodmantheatre.org/
Box office: 312-443-3800

Saturday, March 29 – 3:30 curtain
American Blues Theater presents
American Myth
Website: http://www.americanbluestheater.com/
Box office: 773-404-7336

Sunday, March 30 – 3pm curtain
Victory Gardens presents
The Gospel of Lovingkindness
Website: http://victorygardens.org/
Box office: 773-871-3000

Saturday, April 5 – 4pm curtain
Prologue Theatre Company presents in the Steppenwolf Garage Theatre
Saturday Night/Sunday Morning
Website: http://prologuetheatreco.org/
Steppenwolf box office: 312-335-1650

Sunday, April 6 – 3pm curtain
Theater Wit presents
Seven Homeless Mammoths Wander New England
Website: https://www.theaterwit.org/
Box office: 773-975-8150

Saturday, April 12 – 4pm curtain
The New Colony presents in the Steppenwolf Garage Theatre
reWILDing Genius
Website: http://thenewcolony.org/
Steppenwolf box office: 312-335-1650

Sunday, April 13 – 2pm  curtain
Chicago Shakespeare Theater presents
Road Show
Website: http://www.chicagoshakes.com/
Box office: 312-595-5600

Saturday, April 19 – 2pm curtain
The Theatre School at DePaul University presents at the Merle Reskin Theatre
Jackie and Me
Website: http://theatre.depaul.edu/Pages/default.aspx
Box office: 312-922-1999

Friday, April 25 – 7:30pm curtain
The Theatre School at DePaul University presents at the Merle Reskin Theatre
The Last Days of Judas Iscariot
Website: http://theatre.depaul.edu/Pages/default.aspx
Box office: 312-922-1999

Sunday, April 27 – 3pm curtain