[il-talk] 2014 Hotel and Convention Information

Gregory Chang Patti pattischang at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 19:26:25 UTC 2014

I am sharing this now as you can make reservations and some of you will also be attending our 8/30/14 face-to-face board meeting which is held on 8/30/14.

Our convention dates are actually 10/31/14 through 11/2/14.

2014 Naperville Marriott Hotel/Convention Information

	This quick article explains the layout of the Naperville Marriott which is our convention hotel for 2014.  It also gives you basic information about the facilities and amenities.

Address and Phone:

	The hotel is located at 1801 N. Naper Blvd Naperville, IL 60563.  The phone is: (630) 505-4900.

Sleeping Room Types:

	There are two types of rooms.  A Suite and a Standard Room.  The suites have a parlor with a sleeper sofa, two easy chairs, and a coffee table.  The room rate for standards is $89.  The rate for suites is $129.  All rooms have hair driers and coffee makers.  Connecting rooms are available upon request.

Keycards  and Electrical Power:

	This hotel is modernized.  You need to insert your keycard in a slot inside your room to the side of the door to turn your power on. Leave it in the slot until you exit your room.    When you remove it, the power goes off again.

Checkout:

	Check in time is 3:00 p.m.  Checkout time is 12:00 p.m.

Wi FI:

	There is free We Fi in all lobby and common areas.  This includes our meeting rooms.

Facilities:

	There is an indoor pool, fitness room, and Jacuzzi.  There is lots of parking especially by the side door.

Shuttles:

	The hotel runs free shuttles within a five mile radius.  Since there are trains scheduled to leave at 12:30, 2:30,  and another at 4:30 headed for downtown Chicago, we will shorten our general sessions agenda on Sunday or we will start earlier.

	The hotel also has a contract with a limo company which provides discounted service to and from each airport.  The cost is under $40 which compares favorably to a cab which would be $65 or so.

Layout:

If you enter through the main doors, the layout is as follows:  The Starbucks is to the left.  You should walk ahead to where the tiled flooring forms a cross.  If you turn left at the “lobby cross” with the doors at your back, you can enter Starbucks by taking the first left.  If you take a right, you can go to the elevator bank.  If you pass the elevators, you head toward the meeting rooms.

	From the front door, if you simply bypass the crossing of the tiled portions of the lobby and keep going straight, you will find our information desk on your left and the hotel desk on your right.  If you pass both, there is a restaurant directly ahead.  You can find the bar which also serves food from the restaurant by going left after passing the hotel desk.  The bar will be on your right although people can also sit on the left side at this point in the lobby.

	If you reorient to the lobby desk, at this point it is easier.  If you are standing facing the hotel front desk, the elevator bank is down the tiled hall to the right of the front desk.  There are three elevators on your left side downthat hall a short way.  They are fast.

	Our meting rooms are laid out past the elevator bank.  Right after the elevators there is a cash machine on your left and restrooms on your right.  Past those, first you come to a hallway where conference rooms A, B, and C are on your left headed away from the lobby.  Conference rooms D, E, and F are on your right.  Past that Hall the hall divides at a Y.  There is another set of restrooms down by the other conference rooms near Bailey.  If you go left, you come to Bailey-Hobson and if you go Right you will get to the Naper room which is where general sessions will be held.  Outside of the Naper room we will have exhibits and we will have our registration.

	There is a dog relief area outside of the Naper room.  Exit and walk a short way, then take a  45 degree left turn.  There is a cement patio area on the left about 30 ft up.   At  the end of the patio, you will find a grassy area with trees which will work well for dog relief.   There is even a hydrant.

Braille is Beautiful – Saturday

	Braille is beautiful will take place on Sturday rather than Sunday.  Please feel free to reach out to Debbie Stein if you wish to participate.

Meeting Room Assignments:

	We are in conference room A for our 8/30 board meeting.  Both breakfasts and our lunch are planned for A during convention.  Hospitality before and after the banquet is in the banquet room, Bailey/Hobson .  Significant Others, Parents, and Teen Scene will be in C.  Kids Camp is planned for F.   Scholarship dinner is in E.  Idol and General Sessions for Friday and Saturday will be in Naper 2 and 3.  Banquet and General Sessions on Sunday are in Bailey Hobson.   Registration is outside of the Naper room.

Set-up for Naper:

	When you enter the Naper Room it is wider left to right and shorter going ahead from the doors.  You enter at the back of the room.  We will have info and IABS in the back of the room and head table/stage wil be furthest from the doors by the windows.  If you face the head table, audio will be on your right and door prizes on the left.

Patti Gregory Chang
NFBI President
NFB Scholarship Committee Chair