[il-talk] Hawk Talk May 1, 2014

Patrick Olson 1ofakind26 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 19:11:42 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

         Below, I have the Hawk Talk. I have also attached a document.

Sincerely,

      Patrick Olson

National Federation of the Blind

of Illinois

Black Hawk Chapter

HAWK Talk

The monthly newsletter of the Black Hawk Chapter,

National Federation of the Blind of Illinois.

May 1, 2014

Contact Info:

Jay Blanchard, President

421 19th Street

Moline, IL 61265

(309) 749-7482

Jayblanchard2 at gmail.com

Get out and enjoy the weather with us this month at our eat-out get
together.

THIS MONTH’S MEETING

Our next meeting is on May 10th. We will meet up inside Centre Station
(1200 River Drive Moline) at 11 AM and travel to TGI Fridays and order by
12 PM. For those of you driving, the address of TGI Fridays is 1425 River
Drive Moline, IL and is part of the Radisson Hotel.

Come join us, enjoy the weather, work on your mobility skills, and have
some good food!

LAST MONTH’S REVIEW

We had a meeting on April 12th with an attendance of 15 people. Last
month’s program featured Alphonso Ayew-ew talking about the upcoming move
of the Illinois/Iowa Center for Independent Living. The building being
constructed will be larger and will open in April. We discussed Alphonso
restarting the blind peer group that previously met on the fourth Saturday
of every month.

PEOPLE REPORT

Jay Blanchard, Leah Slightom, and Patrick Olson sat at an NFB table at
Black Hawk College’s Assistive Technology Fair.

Kevin Hildabrandt was learning braille from Patrick Olson and he knows the
entire alphabet, numbers, and some punctuation. He also reported that he
plans to get a guide dog at Leader Dogs for the Blind.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

19th – Aubrie Bradford

27th – Neota Shaw

FUNDRAISING

We are selling NFBI Black Hawk t-shirts for $18 in the colors blue, red,
and black. On the front, it has Black Hawk Chapter and the Whosit while on
the back, it says NFB of Illinois. Contact Jay Blanchard to buy them.

We also have a 50/50 raffle going on. They are $1 each or 6/$5. Contact
Lois Montgomery for details.

IT’S THAT TIME AGAIN! BIRDIES FOR CHARITY IS BACK!

Chip in for your chance to win!

Once again, the Black Hawk chapter will participate in this great
fundraiser. Our chapter will receive every penny of pledged donations we
collect from the fundraiser – plus a bonus from the Birdies for Charity
Fund.

HOW IT WORKS

Make a one-time flat donation, or pledge one cent or more per birdie. After
the tournament, you’ll be mailed an invoice of your amount due.

AND …

Guess the number of birdies made in The John Deere Classic for your chance
to win the grand prize! And other contest prizes will be awarded also.

SO … BE A BIRD … CHIP IN TO WIN!

“Birdies” forms will be available at chapter meetings. Those wanting
additional forms to give to friends should contact Lois at 309-236-1675.
Please tell family, friends, and neighbors about “chipping in for your
Charity!” This is our biggest fundraiser of the year. Remember to fill out
a pledge form for yourself, too!

AND …

There will be a prize given to the person that collects the highest number
of pledges, and another one to the person who collects pledges with the
highest dollar value.

UPCOMING EVENTS

June 6th – Low Vision Expo - I-Wireless Center Moline, IL

June 16th-27 – Chicago BELL Program

July 1-6 – NFB National Convention in Rosen Center Hotel in Orlando

July 21-25 – Normal BELL Program

AUDIO DESCRIPTION IN THE QUAD CITIES

Explanation: A theatrical experience is an emotional adventure, a treat for
the senses. Through the experience of audio description, blind patrons can
now enjoy the full theatre sensation.

          Audio Description provides narration for the visual
elements-action, costumes, settings, and the like for various events. The
techniques allows low vision and blind patrons to experience the arts more
fully-the visual is made aural. In the Quad Cities, Audio Description is
provided at The Adler Theatre, Quad City Music Guild, and Circa 21 Dinner
Theatre. Using an earpiece attached to a small, hand-size transistor, blind
patrons can hear a live, objective, and concise action on stage, in between
dialogue and music.

          A “Sensory Seminar” is held one hour before the theatre opens its
doors to the public. Low vision patrons are allowed to feel props,
costumes, and set pieces in order to give them a better understanding.

Richmond Hill Players in Geneseo presents The Last Romance.

The audio description will happen on May 2nd. The “Scensory Seminar” starts
at 5:40 PM and the theatre opens at 6:30 PM. The play starts at 7:30 PM.

Cost is $10/ticket for all performances

To make reservations, call or make a reservation on the website

Phone number: 309-944-2244

Website: www.rhplayers.com/index.php

RECIPE CORNER

                   Garden Pasta Salad provided by Lois Montgomery

3 cup cooked rotini, rinsed and drained

1 cup chopped carrots

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup frozen peas, thawed

1/2 cup diced green bell pepper

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 cup chopped broccoli

1/8 teaspoon lemon pepper

1 cup Kraft fat free French dressing

1. In a large bowl, combine rotini pasta, carrots, celery, peas, green bell
pepper, onion, and broccoli.

2. Add lemon pepper and French dressing.

3. Mix well to combine.

4. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.

Enjoy! Serves: 8

Hint: 2-1/2 cups uncooked rotini pasta usually makes about three cups
cooked pasta.

BOOK REVIEW

*Divergent* by Veronica Roth

          Reviewed by Patrick Olson

For those of you that are fans of *The Hunger Game* series, Divergent is
the beginning of a similar series. In Veronica Roth’s series, it shows the
future of our society to be divided into five factions with one guiding
virtue. When the book starts, Beatrice is in Abnegation, the faction
dedicated to selflessness and frowns upon self-indulgent behavior. The
other factions are dedicated to intelligence, honesty, bravery, and
peaceful. The whole faction Beatrice is born into wear gray clothes, live
in square gray homes, putting others before themselves, sharing chores, and
only eating plain food. Beatrice struggles with being selfless.

          On an appointed day, sixteen-year-olds get tested for their
aptitude to fit into the various factions through a simulation. On the
following day, they get to choose whether to stay with their family’s
faction or choose another one that they qualify for. Beatrice gets
re-shaped once she is an initiate in a new faction where individuality is
accepted, but bravery is expected. After becoming a member of dauntless,
the renamed Tris discovers some changes. One things for sure, as her test
showed, Tris is divergent.

      Overall, I found the book entertaining, a great example of a strong
female role, and demonstrates the re-writing of who a person is by changing
factions. I found it a worthwhile read and give it two thumbs up.