[il-talk] Fwd: Hawk Talk September 2014

Patrick Olson 1ofakind26 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 22:04:27 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Patrick Olson <1ofakind26 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM
Subject: Hawk Talk September 2014
To: Kathy <kelley2107 at aol.com>, a.amagonam at mchsi.com, Mark Clayburne <
markclayburne at hotmail.com>, Nancy Gardner <rngard1061 at mchsi.com>, Lois
Montgomery <lmm3527 at aol.com>, Pat Olson <moonriver2682 at live.com>, Jean
Rauschenbach <rauschjc at gmail.com>, Darryl Rochford <darrylr68 at gmail.com>,
kryan99 at hotmail.com, leah_sli at live.com, mark clayburne <mclayburne at yahoo.com

*National Federation of the Blind*

*of Illinois*

*Blackhawk Chapter*

 *HAWK TALK*

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

September 1, 2014

Co-Editors:  Leah Slightom and Patrick Olson

Contact info:

Jay Blanchard, President

421 - 19th Street, Apt, #606

Moline, IL 61265

(309)749-7482

jayblanchard2 at gmail.com <Lmm3527 at aol.com>

*It’s September!  Fall has just begun and school is back in session.  Time
to get back in the swing of things.  Be sure to make attending our monthly
chapter meetings a part of your routine!  *We’re all looking forward to
seeing you on Saturday, September 13th.   Get the date marked on your
calendar now and make plans to meet with your Federation family – you’ll be
glad you did! * See you there!*

THIS MONTH’S MEETING

 Our next meeting will be held on Saturday, September 13th, at 1:30 p.m.,
at the South Moline Township Center located at 637 – 17th Avenue in East
Moline.  This month we will have Rhonda Erickson from the Bureau of Blind
Services.  B.B.S. staff work in partnership with our customers to help them
find employment, maintain employment, and achieve education and training
goals.

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

*The May meeting was held at T.G.I Fridays, then we did some mobility
skills.  We also will be voting on what we would like to eat at the
Christmas party.

Don’t forget to pay your pledge for Birdies for Charity.  Invoices have
been mailed out.  There were 2,040 birdies this year made by the pros.
This is our largest fundraiser of the year which helps fund assistance to
conventions and seminars, the Christmas party, etc.  During the November
meeting, cash prizes will be awarded to several chapter members as a token
of appreciation for their help in making this a successful fundraiser.

We continue to seek youth for *Stepping Out*, a local program for junior
and senior high students.  A flyer has been completed – would you help
distribute it throughout the QC area?  If interested in mentoring or
helping in any way, please contact me.

STATE CONVENTION DETAILS

The 2014 NFBI State Convention is fast approaching!  Make plans now to
attend.  Mark your calendar now!  It will be held October 31st – November 2
nd in Naperville.  Room rates at the Chicago Marriott Naperville are
$89/night plus tax.  Reservations may be made by calling (630) 505-4900.
Book your room before September 30th to take advantage of this special
price.

If you are planning to attend, you may want to preregister and save!
Preregistration is available online at www.nfbofillinois.org  *Those
wishing to apply for assistance from the chapter are encouraged to contact
Jay Blanchard.  Remember, conventions make a positive impact on people’s
lives!

We, as a chapter, must work together to accomplish our goals. There’s
plenty for each and every one of us to do, regardless of your interests or
skills.  Help with making reminder calls, transportation, or whatever you
see that needs attention; a few minutes of your time will go far and would
be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to working with you. Any concerns, comments, and/or
suggestions are welcome.

PEOPLE REPORT

In July Jean Rauschenbach took the plunge and purchased a condo in Moline.

It is with sadness to report the death of longtime chapter member George
Sowers.  Also, our condolences to Kathy Crooks on the sudden death of her
son.

Kaitlyn Ryan won honors at the Illinois State Fair on the showing of her
goats.

Darryl Rochford began training at the Iowa Department of the Blind in early
June.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following chapter members celebrate birthdays in September:

           3     Alma Sowers

           9     Bob Gardner

         11     Don Olson

         19     Larry Hines

         20     Lois Montgomery

FUND RAISING

The chapter has begun another 50/50 raffle.  Have you purchased your ticket
yet?  If not, be sure to see Lois Montgomery for your chance to win the
pot!  $1 each or 6/$5.  The drawing will be held at the Christmas party.
Good luck!

The state affiliate is raffling an iPad Mini. $5/ticket.

By the next meeting, we will be selling Younkers Community Day coupon
booklets for $5 each with countless savings including a $10 off coupon.
This is our second most important fundraiser for our chapter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

October 11th – Chapter meeting.

October 15th – White Cane Safety Day

October 31st - November 2nd – NFBI State Convention in Naperville.

November 14th-15th – Younkers Community Days

December 13 – Chapter Christmas party, held at the Christ United Methodist
Church in East Moline. The party starts at 6 P.M

BOOK REVIEW

Got a book you found rather interesting to read?  Why not share it with
others?  Contact me with a short overview.

*After the Storm*

by Maya Banks

Romantic suspense fiction

KGI operative Donovan Kelly meets Eve, who has spirited her brother and
sister away from their abusive, wealthy father.  Eve struggles to trust
Donovan with their lives – and her heart – but is wary of his true
intentions.  Violence, strong language, and explicit descriptions of sex.
2014  – BARD annotation

RECIPE CORNER

Help!  We need your favorite recipe to share with other chapter members.
*Bring it to a chapter meeting, email it to Lmm3527 at aol.com
<lmm3527 at aol.com> or send it by snail mail to 3527 - 12th Avenue, Moline,
IL 61265.  Thanks!  We can’t wait to test our taste buds!

This month’s recipe comes from *Healthy Exchanges*.

Pink CHAMPAGNE SALAD

Ingredients:

¾ cup plain fat-free yogurt

1/3 cup Carnation nonfat dry milk powder

sugar substitute to equal 2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup Cool Whip Lite

2 – 3 drops red food coloring

1 cup (one 8-ounce can) crushed pineapple, packed in its own juice,
undrained

1 (4-serving) package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix

2 cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries

½ cup (one ounce) miniature marshmallows

1.      In a large bowl combine yogurt and dry milk powder.

2.      Add sugar substitute, vanilla extract, Cool Whip Lite, and red food
coloring.  Mix gently to combine.

3.      Add pineapple with juice and dry pudding mix.  Mix well using a
wire whisk.

4.      Fold in strawberries and marshmallows.

5.      Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes

Enjoy!

Serves 6 (2/3 cups)