[il-talk] Sighted Volunteer Needed

Kelly Pierce kellytalk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 20:08:28 UTC 2014

A sighted volunteer is needed for a few hours in the Loop for an
advocacy project.

The latest innovation in traffic management is offering the walk
signal to pedestrians several seconds before the green light for cars.
The concern is that street crossing times may not be long enough to
allow a blind person to cross.  This could happen if a municipality
shifts the walk time a few seconds earlier.  Federal guidelines are in
place that specify the required crossing times.  Chicago has
configured many intersections to give pedestrians a head start.  The
volunteer would work with me and other Federation leaders for a couple
of hours on several days to time the light cycle at some intersections
in downtown Chicago configured in this new way.  The information will
be used to learn if Chicago follows the federal guidelines regarding
crossing times or if changes need to be made so blind people at
intersections without accessible pedestrian signals have enough time
to cross as everyone else.

Folks can reply to the group here or send me a private e-mail at
KKellyP at Gmail.com

Kelly Pierce