[il-talk] The In's and Out's of Il-Talk

Lin H. iwannacu2 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 2 01:15:52 UTC 2015

Well said Bob!    Sincerely, Linda

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Gardner via il-talk
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2015 6:47 PM
To: il-talk
Subject: [il-talk] The In's and Out's of Il-Talk

Hi Everyone

This is Bob Gardner, your friendly Il-Talk moderator, the one who’s supposed
to ride herd on you guys.

The question has come up – again – about what is right or wrong to post on
Il-Talk.  There are no overriding guidelines given from above on what should
be on our list serve, so here’s what I’ve established over the years:

*  posts should be blindness related.  Don’t send in posts about your pets
or your favorite recipes.
* no religious or political discussion, which usually ends up in what more
accurately could be described as argument.  Find another outlet for your
personal views in these areas.
* no personal attacks of others on the list, or strident attacks on their
views.

That’ about it.  And of course, trying to keep everybody happy about what’s
on Il-Talk is an impossible task.  Some would like nothing more than posts
about NFBI meetings, resulting in a list serve with half a dozen posts in a
month.  Others like to be chatty, and enjoy exchanging info with each other
on what’s happening in their lives.  When it comes to health issues, or
accomplishments, we have a long history of letting those posts go
unchallenged.  Our list serve does a good job of putting “family” in
Federationist Family.

We recently had a brief debate about several articles posted to the list
serve concerning riding on the bus by blind people.  I thought the little
discussion was good, and maybe got our blood flowing here on January 1,
recovery day.

Just stay loose, people.  Remember, you can’t tailor Il-Talk to meet your
own self-centered idea of what it should be.  Be tolerant, be kind, and live
long.

Bob