[il-talk] {Disarmed} Fwd: National Federation of the Blind Applauds Introduction of Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act

Lin H. iwannacu2 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 11 13:31:21 UTC 2015

That's wonderful!    Sincerely, Linda

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert A. Hansen (NFB Related) via il-talk
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 4:47 PM
To: nfb il talk
Subject: [il-talk] {Disarmed} Fwd: National Federation of the Blind Applauds

Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 17:00:40 -0500
From: Jessica Wichmann <jwichmann at nfb.org>
To: roberthansen1970 at gmail.com

  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

*CONTACT:*
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

*National Federation of the Blind Applauds Introduction of Transitioning
to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act*

*/Urges Swift Passage of Legislation to Prevent Exploitation of Workers
with Disabilities/*

*Baltimore, Maryland (January 7, 2015):* The National Federation of the
Blind
<http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=4063&qid=715978>,
the oldest and largest organization of blind Americans, today applauded
the introduction of the Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful
Employment (TIME) Act of 2015 (H.R. 188) by Representative Gregg Harper
(R-MS). Congressman Harper introduced this legislation to responsibly
phase out the use of Special Wage Certificates under Section 14(c) of
the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), thereby facilitating the
transitioning of people with disabilities now working in sheltered,
segregated employment, sometimes for pennies per hour, to integrated
employment positions paying competitive wages.

Congressman Gregg Harper said: “Section 14(c) of the FLSA, enacted out
of ignorance regarding the true capacity of people with disabilities,
currently prevents over three-hundred thousand people with disabilities
from gaining access to the work and training environments that have been
proven to be more cost effective and to produce more competitive
integrated work outcomes.  Segregated, subminimum-wage work is just an
expression of low expectations that instills a false sense of incapacity
in individuals who could become competitively employed with the proper
training and support.”

Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
“The National Federation of the Blind and our partners representing the
55 million Americans with disabilities fight every day to obtain the
equality and respect in the workplace that nondisabled citizens take for
granted. We applaud Congressman Harper for having the courage to
confront over seventy years of entrenched but false thinking about the
capacity of people with disabilities. We strongly urge his colleagues in
both houses of the United States Congress to exhibit the same courage by
recognizing that it is time to reject an antiquated and ineffective
employment model for one that truly values workers with disabilities.”

*###*

****

**About the National Federation of the Blind**

blindness is not what holds you back.

National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street
at Jernigan Place