[il-talk] iBRAL Report

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 18:23:45 UTC 2015

The Braille reading contest for kids K-12, Illinois Braille Readers Are Leaders (iBRAL), sponsored by the NFBI, had the reading portion of the contest end last Monday.  The response within the state was great, with 28 entrants.  Reading logs are now being submitted, and the winners in each of the age/grade categories will be announced next month.

The NFBI should be proud of iBRAL.  The contest was introduced last year in an attempt to replace the program sponsored by our national headquarters, but dropped in 2012.  As far as I know, Illinois is the only affiliate in the NFB which has sponsored such a contest.

Later this year, the NFBI Braille Literacy Committee will consider the possibility of expanding our contest to several other midwestern states.  How about the Great Lakes Braille Readers Are Leaders contest?

Bob Gardner
chair, Braille Literacy Committee