[il-talk] Fwd: Additional Comment about Audible Pedestrian Signals

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Fri May 1 15:43:50 UTC 2015

Hi Edwin and list,

This problem has been a pet peeve of mine since I started using email.
It illustrates what can go wrong when those who initiate emails don't
follow decent email edicate.  When people send an email to hundreds of
recipients, they should put the manes of all those recipients in the
blind copy (or BBC) field.  Those recipients might appreciate their
email addresses not being broadcast to the world or, in this case, to
mailing lists accessible through search engines.

When I am reading a message on my computer that starts out with a long
list of addresses, I use my screenreader's search function (ctrl-shift-f
in Window-eyes) to find the word "subject".  This isn't always the
beginning of the real content, as the message may have been forwarded
several times, so you may have to search again.

Your question involves the best way to share an email where someone has
not followed this simple courtesy.  I find that the easiest way to
forward just the content of interest is to copy the text you want to
forward from the copy you are reading, rather than trying to edit the
reply.  That's because screen readers sometimes make it tricky to
navigate the tables in which email addresses are put.  In the newest
Window-eyes, it is possible to pull text from browse mode by pressing
the F8 key at the beginning and end of the text you would like to
forward.  After the second press, you will be given the option to copy
it to the clipboard.  With other screenreaders, you can use your shift
and arrow keys to select text to be copied to the clipboard.  You can
then forward or reply as normal, clearing everything out of the message
by selecting it all with ctrl-a and deleting it.  Finally: after writing
any comments you would like to, pressing ctrl-v will copy whatever you
put in the clipboard to your message.

Edwin, I am sure that most people didn't previously see your posted
comments, placed as they were at the bottom of what was a long message.
That's why mote people put their reply comments at the top of messages.

Cordially,
Bill