[il-talk] CHICAGO MINUTES MARCH 2015

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 4 20:28:52 UTC 2015

NFBI CHICAGO CHAPTER

Minutes for meeting of

March 21, 2015

President David Meyer called the March 2015 meeting to order at 1:00 P.M.
Introductions revealed that 34 members were present.

What is happening?  Eileen Truschke reported that her sister is continuing
to receive radiation.  Pat Corrigan will be going into an Assisted Living
facility.  Mary Grunwalds sister has been in and out of the hospital.  Mary
has asked us to keep her in our thoughts and prayers.  Margaret James heard
from her son for the first time in two years.  Jemal Powell reported the
passing of Allen graham.  Ken Staley reported that his sister was still
receiving radiation for cancer.  He also mentioned that Ken Waterson has
also been experiencing health problems.  Denise Avant reported the passing
of Jean Corrigan, a volunteer reader from blind Service Association.  Steve
Hastalis reported that his niece gave birth to twins on January 29.  Pam
Gillmore reported that Don received a good medical report and is feeling
well enough to permit them to go to Florida.  She mentioned that concern for
her and Don prompted her to begin a segment she has been calling the Medical
corner.

Secretary's minutes

The minutes for the meeting of February 14, 2015 were approved with the
following correction.  The address for the Spring Seminar is 6520 South
Cicero.

Treasurer's report:  Steve Hastalis reported a balance of $5,887.36.

Resolution:  Steve Hastalis proposed a resolution which called for the
retention of red light and speed cameras in Chicago.  Following some
discussion, it was amended to call for liberal and equal distribution of
cameras throughout the city.  The resolution carried without descent.

National Presidential Release:  Mark Riccabono, President, National
federation of the Blind reported on the following items.  March 2 was
celebrated as Read across America day.  To honor this day, Nataly Shaheen
read a poem about braille written by the NFB Bell coordinators.  President
Riccabono, Dr. Maurer and Nicky Gacos did a presentation in Fort Mead
Maryland on issues effecting blind vendors across the country.
Preregistration is now open for the National convention.  Please go to
www.nfb.org to preregister.  The US access Board released their proposed
notice of rulemaking for the Section 50 refresh.  We may not make comments
on this proposal.  NFB will be submitting comments on these regulations.
Regrettably, regulations.gov, the website where comments may be posted is
not completely accessible.  The first Stem to you program outside of the
state of Maryland will take place in Massachusetts in the second week of
March.  The Jacobus TenBroek Law Symposium will take place at the Jernigan
Institute at the end of March.  We will speculate on the ADA at 50.  The
National Sports and Recreation Division along with the National Federation
of the Blind of Colorado will conduct a seminar on fitness activities on
Saturday, May 9.  The event will take place at the Colorado Center of the
Blind. If you are having trouble with Microsoft products, you may go to the
accessibility website, www.microsoft.com/enable or call 800-936-5900.

Program:  Our program concerned things that one might find at a typical
National Federation of the Blind convention.  Gina Falvo mentioned that
anyone who is attending the convention for the first time should attend the
Rookie Roundup.  One will get a detailed explanation on what happens at a
typical convention at this event.  During the first couple of days, one may
attend one or more division meetings.  There is a division for virtually
every vocation and interest.  One should if possible, attend the Mock trial
sponsored by the Lawyers division.  The first day of the general session
features a roll call of states.  Other highlights include resolutions, the
banquet and the scholarship awards.  First time attendees may apply for
assistance from either the state or the Jernigan fund.  Jemal Powell
recounted some of his personal convention experiences.  David Meyer
mentioned the Exhibit Hall as a highlight.  Virtually any area of technology
that you might be looking for is there to be purchased.

State Presidential Report:  Denise Avant reported the following.  The
deadline for both state and national scholarships is March 31.  You may go
to www.nfb.org to apply for a National scholarship, or www.nfbofillinois.org
for a state scholarship;.  The Kenneth Jernigan scholarships are primarily
for those who are attending national convention for the first time.  Anyone
wishing to apply for one of these scholarships must write a letter to
President Avant stating how much you need for convention, why you wish to
attend and what you might expect to gain from a convention experience.
Letters must be in by April 10.  Send all correspondence to
davant1958 at gmail.com.  You may also apply for assistance by seeking a
Chappell-Dennis award.  The application for this award is on the NFB of
Illinois website.  Applications must be into President Avant by May 1.  Our
Spring seminar will occur on April 17-18 at the Midway Marriott Hotel, 6525
South Cicero.  The first day is for teachers and the second day is for
parents and students.  Dates for the state convention have been set.  They
are October 30-31 and November 1.  It will take place at the Naperville
Marriott Hotel.  Room rates are $93 nightly.  Our face-to-face board meeting
will take place at the same location on August 22.  Those unable to attend
may call into the meeting.  Please support Amazon/Smile We are having a
raffle for $1,000 this year.  Tickets are $5 each and the drawing will take
place during the December meeting.

Chapter Presidential Report:  David Meyer highlighted things he felt to be
significant during his presidency.  We have had a summer picnic since 2009.
This has been one of our most effective recruiting activities.  We have
taken part in several tech fairs, health fairs, information seminars and
presentations at ICRE Wood.  The chapter is currently in good financial
condition, thanks to several successive successful fundraisers.  He thanked
everyone for the support he has received as president.  He announced that
Debbie Stein will stand for president during the upcoming election.

Chapter Picnic:  Jemal Powell recommended that we have the chapter picnic on
Saturday July 18 at Lincoln Park Zoo.  It was moved, seconded and passed to
do this.  The motion carried unanimously.  Committee Reports

Robert Hansen reported on the Membership committee which took place earlier
in the day.  The committee discussed ways to promote the Chicago Chapter.
Among other things, he talked about drafting public service announcements to
be sent to local media, additionally, we will approach Blind Service
Association to offer a presentation for the Pathways program.  Finally the
chapter should do more to utilize NewsLine and Social Media.

Fundraising:  Ken Staley thanked Howard Wilson for setting up the Beggars
Pizza fundraiser which will happen on Wednesday, April 22.  We will use two
locations this year.  The downtown location at 310 South Clinton and the
Midway location at 6133 South Cicero Avenue.  We will again fundraise with
the White Sox this year.  The three games under consideration were Sox VS
Texas on June 20, Sox VS New York Yankees on August 1 and Sox VS Minnesota
on September 12.  Ticket prices are Sox VS Texas, $17, Sox VS Yankees, $21,
and Sox VS Twins, $15.  As in past years, each ticket would be reduced by $1
minimum 20 tickets sold, $2 off, minimum 50 tickets sold or $3 off, minimum
250 tickets sold.   A vote from chapter members decided the game as White
Sox vs. Yankees on August 21.  Each ticket will cost $30.  Orders must be in
on the day of the May chapter meeting, (May 9.)

New Business

Denise Avant mentioned that the CTA Metra and Pace are developing a new ap
which is to work with both iPhones and android devices.  We will need to
offer our services as bata testers to insure that this ap is accessible when
released.  Robert Hansen has been a bata tester for Bard's yet to be
released android ap.  He indicated that the ap has been working well.
Eileen Truschke announced that city elections will take place on April 7
with early voting to begin on March 23.  Complaints should be filed with the
Chicago Board of Elections 312-369-7900Steve Hastalis confirmed the members
who renewed during the March meeting.  Robert Hansen announced that
Northeastern will be holding a promotional event for disabled students
9:00-12:00 noon on April 20.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:25 P.M.

Respectfully Submitted,

Robert A. Hansen Secretary

David Meyer, NFB of Illinois

Coordinator and Channel Administrator, NFB-NewsLine

Chicago Chapter President