[il-talk] The BuzzClip - Wearable Technology for the Blind

Gregory Rosenberg gregg at ricis.com
Fri Nov 13 14:13:01 UTC 2015

Good morning Lin, and everyone on the list,

I have seen a similar product that was developed in the U.S. I also ran across a project plan for building such a device a few months ago. I have personally not heard of this company or their initiative. Their press release can be found at: http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/canadian-start-up-creates-a-buzz-for-the-blind-with-new-wearable-tech-532638901.html <http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/canadian-start-up-creates-a-buzz-for-the-blind-with-new-wearable-tech-532638901.html>.

In case anyone is interested in further reading and research on this topic I have added a lot of good information below. I may setup a website with a comprehensive collection of all the the resources I have found if there is sufficient interest in the topic of R&D and available products for obstacle detection, personal safety, and navigation aids for the blind.

FYI - The following is quite long, but will give you many hours of interesting reading on the subject of travel aids.

Technologies:

Intel released their Curie micro controller a few months ago. This is a computer about the size of a large button.
See: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wearables/wearable-soc.html <http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wearables/wearable-soc.html>.

I attended a Human Computer Interface (HCI) course that Microsoft (MS) gave nearly a decade ago on-line in conjunction with the University of Seattle. They showed off some really amazing technologies that were in development and discussed the design concepts for each. MS has just released the development kit for their HoloLens product to developers. See: http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us/developers <http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us/developers>. Painfully it costs $3,500 to get their prototype hardware and software development kit. So it will be a while before I can acquire that technology. Although it is mostly intended for signed individuals, I believe its technologies could be leveraged for 3D object recognition. This technology will likely be out of the reach for most of us, but should become affordable in about 10 to 15 years once it becomes a commodity item.

There is a comparison of MS and Oculus Rift technologies at: http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2015/01/30/showdown-the-differences-between-microsoft-hololens-and-oculus-rift <http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2015/01/30/showdown-the-differences-between-microsoft-hololens-and-oculus-rift>.

Electronic travel aids: (A bit dated from 2008)
https://books.google.com/books?id=HIBPnRAhh-gC&pg=PA306&dq=build+a+sonar+sensor+cane+blind&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD4Q6AEwA2oVChMI3I2wj8-LyQIViNgeCh2PeQkb#v=onepage&q=build%20a%20sonar%20sensor%20cane%20blind&f=false <https://books.google.com/books?id=HIBPnRAhh-gC&pg=PA306&dq=build+a+sonar+sensor+cane+blind&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD4Q6AEwA2oVChMI3I2wj8-LyQIViNgeCh2PeQkb#v=onepage&q=build%20a%20sonar%20sensor%20cane%20blind&f=false>

I have not personally vetted any of the following products or design ideas, but this will still give you a good sense of the state of the art in travel aids. The following lists are by no means complete.

Currently available electronic aids for the blind.
http://www.noogenesis.com/eta/current.html <http://www.noogenesis.com/eta/current.html>

On electronic travel aids design.
http://www.noogenesis.com/eta/design.html <http://www.noogenesis.com/eta/design.html>

Electronic travel aid patents.
http://www.noogenesis.com/eta/patents.html <http://www.noogenesis.com/eta/patents.html>

There are literally hundreds of papers written on this topic and many dozens of initiatives creating assertive technologies for obstacle detection and navigation for those in our community. Here are just a few of the hundreds of articles I have read over the past few years.

Obstacle detection software for the visually impaired:
http://sgitt-otri.ua.es/en/empresa/documentos/ot-1308-detecting-obstacles-blind-eng.pdf <http://sgitt-otri.ua.es/en/empresa/documentos/ot-1308-detecting-obstacles-blind-eng.pdf>

A smart phone based obstacle detection system:
http://www.cv-foundation.org/openaccess/content_iccv_workshops_2013/W16/papers/Tapu_A_Smartphone-Based_Obstacle_2013_ICCV_paper.pdf <http://www.cv-foundation.org/openaccess/content_iccv_workshops_2013/W16/papers/Tapu_A_Smartphone-Based_Obstacle_2013_ICCV_paper.pdf>

Voice based navigation system for blind people using an ultrasonic sensor:
http://www.ijritcc.org/download/1435907850.pdf <http://www.ijritcc.org/download/1435907850.pdf>

Wearable obstacle detection system for the blind:
http://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/99014/files/haptex05.pdf <http://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/99014/files/haptex05.pdf>

An obstacle detection system for the blind:
http://www.iaeng.org/publication/WCE2011/WCE2011_pp1602-1605.pdf <http://www.iaeng.org/publication/WCE2011/WCE2011_pp1602-1605.pdf>

Smart obstacle detector for blind person:
http://scholarpublishing.org/index.php/JBEMi/article/view/245 <http://scholarpublishing.org/index.php/JBEMi/article/view/245>

Kinecthesia - Obstacle detection belt for the blind:
http://developkinect.com/news/development/kinecthesia-obstacle-detection-belt-blind <http://developkinect.com/news/development/kinecthesia-obstacle-detection-belt-blind>

Obstacle detection gadget for visually impaired people:
http://www.ijetae.com/files/Volume2Issue12/IJETAE_1212_74.pdf <http://www.ijetae.com/files/Volume2Issue12/IJETAE_1212_74.pdf>

Hi-tech glasses aim to assist the blind with directions and obstacle detection:
http://www.gizmag.com/stereoscopic-ultrasound-gps-ai-glasses-blind-assistance/32166/ <http://www.gizmag.com/stereoscopic-ultrasound-gps-ai-glasses-blind-assistance/32166/>

iSonar - An obstacle detection system for the totally blind:
http://www.assistiverehabtechnology.net/index.php/jartt/article/view/23114 <http://www.assistiverehabtechnology.net/index.php/jartt/article/view/23114>

Obstacle detection for the visually impaired:
http://www.academia.edu/10277732/Obstacle_Detection_For_Visually_Impaired <http://www.academia.edu/10277732/Obstacle_Detection_For_Visually_Impaired>

The GuideCane - A computerized travel aid for the active guidance of blind pedestrians:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~johannb/Papers/Paper65/Paper65.html <http://www-personal.umich.edu/~johannb/Papers/Paper65/Paper65.html>

For those of you that are electronically inclined makers here are some projects to consider:

Sonar Eye - Let the blind ‘see' objects with audio and vibration:
	http://www.utopiamechanicus.com/article/2012/08/ <http://www.utopiamechanicus.com/article/2012/08/>

The Bat Hat:
	http://people.ece.cornell.edu/land/courses/ece4760/FinalProjects/f2013/jjb284_cc697_adk75/jjb284_cc697_adk75/ <http://people.ece.cornell.edu/land/courses/ece4760/FinalProjects/f2013/jjb284_cc697_adk75/jjb284_cc697_adk75/>

SensCap is a device that guides the visually impaired around objects.
	http://people.ece.cornell.edu/land/courses/ece4760/FinalProjects/s2011/zb34_lc465/zb34_lc465/ <http://people.ece.cornell.edu/land/courses/ece4760/FinalProjects/s2011/zb34_lc465/zb34_lc465/>

Blind audio guidance system:
	http://files.spogel.com/abstracts/p-0212--audio_guidance_for_blind.pdf <http://files.spogel.com/abstracts/p-0212--audio_guidance_for_blind.pdf>

Infrared proximity sensor:
	http://www.idc-online.com/technical_references/pdfs/instrumentation/Infra_-_Red_Proximity_Sensor_Part%201.pdf <http://www.idc-online.com/technical_references/pdfs/instrumentation/Infra_-_Red_Proximity_Sensor_Part%201.pdf>

SharkVision - A sensing suite for the blind:
	http://www.prutchi.com/2012/02/12/sharkvision-a-sensing-suit-for-the-blind-by-hannah-prutchi/ <http://www.prutchi.com/2012/02/12/sharkvision-a-sensing-suit-for-the-blind-by-hannah-prutchi/>

The RainCane:
	https://jscholarship.library.jhu.edu/bitstream/handle/1774.2/33709/Challenge%20Report%20v3.pdf <https://jscholarship.library.jhu.edu/bitstream/handle/1774.2/33709/Challenge%20Report%20v3.pdf>

Haptic feedback shoes let the blind see with every step:
	http://bsteady.blogspot.com/2011/12/haptic-feedback-shoes-let-blind-see.html <http://bsteady.blogspot.com/2011/12/haptic-feedback-shoes-let-blind-see.html>

Haptic feedback device for the visually impaired:
	http://www.instructables.com/id/Haptic-Feedback-device-for-the-Visually-Impaired/ <http://www.instructables.com/id/Haptic-Feedback-device-for-the-Visually-Impaired/>

Optical sensing walking stick for the visually impaired:
	http://extremeelectronics.co.in/news/obstacle-sensing-walking-stick-for-visually-impaired-persons/ <http://extremeelectronics.co.in/news/obstacle-sensing-walking-stick-for-visually-impaired-persons/>

You can search Google (or Google Images) with keywords like: "schematic sensor cane blind” to find lots of projects you can build.

P.S. I started working on a device in March of this year that I am going to give the design to NFB free of charge. My design (at least my goal) will use ultrasound / sonar (distance and obstacle detection), radar (density), sound (sound recognition), and a camera (visual identification),  coupled with an integrated GPS (location awareness) and accelerometer (monitoring your direction of travel and angle of ascent or decent). I have purchased all of the components. Once they arrive it will take me maybe a year or so to assemble the prototype hardware and write the software and have it ready for acceptance testing.

> On 2015Nov 12, at 11:28, Lin H. via il-talk <il-talk at nfbnet.org <mailto:il-talk at nfbnet.org>> wrote:

"Happiness is not the absence of problems; but the ability to deal with them."
                                    						    Steve Maraboli

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Please text the word BLIND to 85944 to donate $10 to the NFB Imagination Fund via your phone bill.

--
73' & 75'
Gregory D. Rosenberg (AB9MZ)

RICIS, Inc.
7849 Bristol Park Drive
Tinley Park, IL 60477-4594
http://www.ricis.com <http://www.ricis.com/>

+1 708-267-6664 Cell
+1 708-444-2690 Office
+1 866-RICIS-77 Office (U.S. and Canada)
+1 708-444-1115 Fax (Call first)