[il-talk] Digest of National Convention Meetings Reports

Glenn III gmoore3rd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 02:59:39 UTC 2016

​Hello fellow IL-Talk-ers.

       Below my signature is a combined (or digest) copy of the National
Convention Meetings Reports voted on at the NFB of IL State Board meeting.
All the reports submitted, by the way, were approved, as usual. Each report
is separated by three asterisks: *** so you can skip to any one you wish
more easily.

       By the way, this doesn’t include the IL Affilliate’s chapter,
division and committee annual reports, which I can send soon, after I
finish the State Board meeting minutes (which will include reports that
were given orally live at the meeting, and which will be before the next
State Board teleconference happening near the end of September).

       If I have missed any National meeting report (except if it were
given orally at our state board meeting) please let me know.

Thanks,

Glenn III, NFBI Secretary.

***CASH AND CARING, Monday, July 4th – Dave Meyer:

CASH AND CARING REPORT 2016

David Meyer

This committee is chaired by Ramona Walhoff. She defined the purpose of the
committee as one where fundraising ideas are shared. The two goals she
stated were as follows: A. find a project that will raise enough money to
make a significant difference in the finances of a local chapter or state
affiliate, and B. To raise enough funds that an affiliate or chapter can
contribute funds to the National office.

One great source for fundraising ideas is the internet. Though there are
hundreds of ideas out there, a chapter or affiliate needs to find an idea
which sounds like a good fit so folks are motivated to participate.

One fundraising idea that was covered was a daily raffle which was done in
Florida. It was presented by Jorge Hernandez. The way this raffle worked
was to draw a winning ticket each day during the period of the raffle. Each
person who won received $25 except for Saturday drawings which were for
$50. Once a drawing was conducted, the ticket would be returned to the
drawing, giving participants the chance to win more than once. Tickets were
sold during a period of ten weeks, with the raffle occurring daily for one
month. The actual raffle began approximately two weeks after tickets were
sold. There were 1,000 tickets for sale, with each ticket selling for $5.
During the past year, approximately 600 tickets were sold. Each drawing was
recorded, with the drawing being posted on YouTube. Results were also
posted on the affiliate list serve. Each winner was called following the
drawing.

Approximately 1/3 of the winners were not affiliate members.

Announcement of winners may be put up on Twitter and FaceBook as well as
YouTube. Finally, a side benefit of this type of raffle is that a chapter
may gain new members as a result of the activity.

Some ideas that have been successful in recent years have been a bike ride
in Idaho, an advertising campaign in Oklahoma, where businesses pay to have
their ads placed on placemats which are used at the convention banquet.

***COMMUNICATIONS, Friday, July 1 – Debbie Stein:

COMMUNICATIONS COMMITTEE MEETING 2016

Communications Committee chair Corbb O'Connor presided over the meeting.
This was a well-planned session that delivered a lot of information and
fostered a lively discussion.

LIZ CAMPBELL's PRESENTATION

Liz Campbell, a blind journalist with the Fort Worth Star Telegram, gave a
presentation on journalism today. She explained how social media has
changed her role as a reporter. She has been a reporter for thirty-two
years, since the beginning of assistive technology. In the past she had to
write leads that would draw readers in. Copy editors wrote headlines, and
photographers added interest to grab attention. Today crowd sourcing is
highly important, bringing out interaction with readers. Over 70 percent of
traffic comes through people sharing content on Facebook or searching
Google for a story on a particular topic.

Campbell noted that press releases are no longer an effective way to get a
newspaper's attention. She suggested including a photo or a graphic of some
kind. Papers are not interested in a story without an image. Images on
social media attract 70 to 80 percent more readers than stories without
images. Print media have downsized tremendously. Reporters now write their
own headlines, follow trending, and are expected to choose photos and
videos. Responsibilities have increased and staff has been eliminated.
Don't send anything in the mail or by fax! Everyone wants material by email
or even Twitter.

If a story gets a lot of attention, Facebook can boost a post. This also
can happen if you pay a $5 fee.

Send information to as many people as you can. Most might ignore it, but
one might find it interesting.

Facebook will allow you to share with a particular group or put a post on
someone's timeline.

You can clip information onto an individual's Facebook page. From there you
can send out information on a cause or event. You can invite others to like
a page.

The Texas affiliate found that Facebook only shows a popular event. Many
chapters created groups so that more people see the message.

Radio is also using a lot of web content. NPR's website is full of videos.

Test out which post people like a lot. Texas tried posting a photo a day
for BELL. They got great reactions.

Sharing content is essential. That's where you really get attention. It's
better to re-tweet than simply to pass it on. Re-tweeting shows how many
people shared the message.

Pitch emails can work in contacting reporters. The email should contain a
paragraph or two and a photo.

For Facebook the ideal is to add your photo to an album. That way you can
title it. Then go back to your news feed and share it. It takes about three
minutes per photo. There is no way to caption a photo from Status Update.
The caption should be catchy.

Twitter allows you to caption photos. First turn on Accessibility features
in Settings. You can add as many characters as you want.

BEST PRACTICES

It was suggested that the Communications Committee create a living document
on social networking. The document can include information on how to take
good photos as a blind person. Corbb said the best blind photographers seem
to be people who cannot access the screen. We need to learn how to create a
JAWS-ACCESSIBLE brochure with photos.

For fundraising you need a brief document full of pictures. Every affiliate
needs such a document. We have to communicate this idea to our
text-oriented members. In some states leadership is very opposed to photo
brochures because they are not blind friendly.

It would be helpful to have a library of NFB stock photos. Anna Kresmer at
the tenBroek Library has access to the photo archives. Each affiliate can
create its own photo archive by having people with iPhones attend events.
Create an organizational Drop Box account where photos can be stored.

Participants suggested it would be helpful to have standardized templates
for donation letters and auction items. There should be names for levels of
sponsorship.

NEWSLETTERS

Brochures are not a substitute for the newsletter. Newsletters no longer
have to be printed. Email and postings are most effective.

Storytelling has always been our strength, and we must continue to use it
to convey our message. Newsletters can draw stories from blog posts. Blog
posts can be linked to Facebook.

It was suggested that affiliates or the national organization do a
Moth-style storytelling event and film it as a new media event. People are
demanding good audio content.

We must have guidance on how to produce good videos. We use readers, so how
about using people to take video at our events?