[il-talk] Fw: Chicago Public Library Talking Book Center Newsletter Winter 2016

Lin H. iwannacu2 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 19 17:01:59 UTC 2016

From: Ruda, Sharon
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 10:33 AM
To: Anthony Chandler ; Bogdan, William ; Debbie Watson ; Deliah Jackson ; mailto:iwannacu2 at sbcglobal.net ; larry at jacil.org ; Margaret Varney ; Maryann Bartkowski ; tonitesfaye at gmail.com ; william.sean.martin at gmail.com
Subject: Chicago Public Library Talking Book Center Newsletter Winter 2016

Please share with those who may be interested. Sharon

The information that follows may also be read by opening the document attached to this email.

TBC Focus

Chicago Public Library Talking Book Center Newsletter

Winter Edition 2015

I Cannot Live Without Books:
Celebrating the Joy of Reading and the 85th Anniversary of the Talking Book Program!

The 2016 Talking Book Center Adult Winter Reading Program has begun! In 1931, the Library of Congress was authorized to create a library program providing books to the blind, and Illinois was one of the first states selected to partner in this new venture. This year the Illinois Network of Talking Book and Braille Libraries is celebrating 85 years of Talking Book service!  Our program makes reading possible for over 12,000 Illinoisans with print disabilities in 102 counties in Illinois. We invite you to join our program as we celebrate our anniversary and the joy of reading and lifelong learning for everyone!

To register, please contact the library at 1-800-757-4654 or tbc at chipublib.org . Participants will be sent a program catalog filled with engaging reads from bestsellers and memoirs to stories of adventure, romance, mystery and more, all in celebration of this significant anniversary, literature, libraries, authors and the art of reading! Read at least 10 books from the reading program guide and return your completed reading log to the library by April 30, 2016, to be entered into a multiple grand prize drawing.

One Book One Chicago Events

The One Book, One Chicago season is well underway as the Chicago Public Library continues to explore the book, The Third Coast (DB 79020), by Thomas Dyja. The book presents a critically acclaimed history of Chicago at mid-century, featuring many of the incredible personalities that shaped American culture. Join us throughout the city for live musical performances of some of the music that has influenced Chicago and was invented and developed in Chicago, presented by our partners at Old Town School of Folk Music. Come prepared to wade in the deep, musical roots of Chicago as led by celebrated performers from the Old Town School's teaching artist community. Upcoming performances:

4D Blues Band Duo
Hall Branch Library
4801 S. Michigan Ave
Wednesday, February 10 at 4:00 pm

Skip Landt & Strictly Jug Nuts Jug Band
Mayfair Branch Library
4400 W. Lawrence Ave.
Wednesday, February 24 at 6:00 pm

The Matt Hendricks Duo
Sulzer Regional Library
4455 N. Lincoln Ave
Saturday, March 19 at 1:00 pm

Harmonica Hinds & Paul Kaye
Richard M. Daley Branch Library
733 N. Kedzie
Thursday, March 24 at 6:00 pm

Joe Filisko & Eric Noden
West Lawn Branch Library
4020 W 63rd St
Wednesday, March 30 at 5:00 pm

Harmonica Hinds & Paul Kaye
West Chicago Avenue Branch Library
4856 W. Chicago Avenue
Tuesday, April 12 at 4:00 pm

Rita Ruby's Gospel Heritage
Kelly Branch Library
6151 S. Normal Boulevard
Saturday, April 16 at 2:00 pm

Jack Cassidy's Jazz in Chicago
Galewood-Mont Clare Branch Library
6871 W. Belden Ave.
Thursday, April 28 at 11:00 am

New Audio Magazines Available!

·      AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin, features timely news information and articles for individuals 50 and older.

·      The Oprah Magazine, articles that encourages readers to strive for personal growth and transformation.

·      Rolling Stone, features popular culture articles on music, politics, film, and more.

New Year, New You: Reads that Inspire!

DB 78814 - It Ain't Over...Till It's Over: Reinventing Your Life--and Realizing Your Dreams--Anytime, at Any Age
It's never too late to change your life!

DB 82605 - Big Magic: Creative Living beyond Fear
Let go your fears and try something new!

DB 81436 - Resilience: Hard-Won Wisdom for Living a Better Life
Let go of the past and live with purpose!

DB 79101 - The Book of Forgiving: The Fourfold Path for Healing
Ourselves and Our World

Wise advice from Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Desmond Tutu

DB 79031- Congratulations, by the Way: Some Thoughts on Kindness
Kindness begets kindness, so be kinder!

Resources for Free Calendars

·      National Library Service

Free braille calendar includes a date finder and signature guide. Contact 1-202- 707-9275, 1-800-424-8567 toll-free, or nlsref at loc.gov.

·      National Federation of the Blind
Free braille calendar that features one page per month. Catalog number: BBC16B. Contact 1-410- 659-9314, ext. 2216 or IndependenceMarket at nfb.org

·         Heritage for the Blind
Free large print weekly calendar. Contact 1-800-236-6283 toll-free or www.hftb.org.

Books into Movies

DB 68429 - Still Alice

A woman with a perfect life struggles to find meaning and purpose after discovering she has early onset Alzheimer's.

DB 78842 - Love, Rosie

Childhood best friend’s feelings evolve into love, but separation, an unexpected pregnancy, and other romances get in the way.

DB 67117 - Child 44

Exiled by the Russians to a remote village a detective makes a stunning discovery that leads him on the chase for a serial killer.

DB 78389 - The Martian

The riveting story of an astronaut stranded on Mars that must use his wits to survive without food, water or air.

DB 77603 - The Longest Ride

Trapped for days in a car crash, the life of an elderly widower becomes surprising entwined with that of a young woman and the cowboy she loves.

DB 69251 - Dark Places

After surviving the murder of her family as a child, a woman is shockingly contacted years later by a group fighting to free the killer.

DB 71989 – Room

A young boy tells the gripping tale of his life growing up in a single room with his mother who has been held prisoner for seven years.

DB 68405 – Serena

Newlywed couple forges a thriving timber business in the harsh Appalachian North Carolina but events turn suddenly violent.

DB 80548 - Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of Thirty-three Men Buried in a Chilean Mine, and the Miracle That Set Them Free

Chronicles the experiences of the men trapped in a Chilean mine for sixty-nine days.

DB 77454 - I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

Memoir of Pakistani teenager, an advocate of education for females, who survived an assassination attempt by the Taliban.

DB 76478 - The Man in the High Castle

Thought-provoking tale of what the United States would have been like if it had lost World War II.

Hadley School for the Blind
Forsythe Center for Employment and Entrepreneurship

Program offers tuition-free business courses and online classes to help individuals who are blind or visually disabled prepare for employment and entrepreneurship. From resources for job seekers, to skills for managers and networking opportunities, the center aims to help students develop the business skills needed to be successful. Contact Hadley Student Services at 1-800-526-9909 or student_services at hadley.edu for more information.

National Federation of the Blind
2016 National Scholarship Program

Are you a legally blind college student living in the United States or Puerto Rico? This annual program offers 30 scholarships worth from $3,000 to $12,000 to eligible students, from high school seniors beginning their freshman year in the fall semester of 2016, up through grad students working on their PhD degrees. These merit scholarships are based on academic excellence, community service, and leadership. In addition to the money, each winner will receive assistance to attend the July 2016 NFB annual convention in Orlando, Florida providing an excellent opportunity for high-level networking with active blind persons in many different professions and occupations. Applications are accepted through March 31. Visit to www.nfb.org/scholarships for complete rules and requirements.

NFB of Illinois State Scholarships:

Our Illinois Affiliate also awards state scholarships beginning at $1,250.  We awarded over $10,000 in scholarships in 2015 plus accessible technology to our winners.  Please see www.nfbofillinois.org to apply.

Donations Welcomed

The Talking Book Center welcomes contributions to help support, enhance, and spread the word about our services. Gifts of any amount are welcomed throughout the year and are tax-deductible. If you need more information on making donations, contact the TBC at 1-800-757-4654. Please make checks payable to the CPL Talking Book Center and mail to the CPL Talking Book Center at 400 S. State St, 5N, Chicago, IL 60605. Thank you for your generosity! This winter, we extend a heart-felt thank you to our recent donors, including:

Shirley Addison,   Pastoriza Andino,   Anthony Chiesa

Roger & Donna Dawson,    Alice Fox,    Esther Kane,

Roy Krueger,    Marie Letso,    Suzanne Moran
________________________________

In Memory of Dorothy Gaseor

For more information about our specialized services and program, please contact us:

Chicago Public Library Talking Book Center

400 South State Street 5N

Chicago, IL 60605

1-800-757-4654

1-312-747-4001

tbc at chipublib.org

* Funding for this grant was awarded by the Illinois State Library, a Department of the Office of Secretary of State, using funds provided by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services, under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA)

Disclaimer - This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and contain privileged or copyright information. You must not present this message to another party without gaining permission from the sender. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify the Office of the Illinois Secretary of State.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete this email from your system. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of the Office of the Illinois Secretary of State.