[il-talk] Indoor Wayfinding Beacon demonstration

Kelly Pierce kellytalk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 02:03:45 UTC 2016

Wednesday is the big Access Chicago expo at navy Pier from 10:00 to
5:00.  I have just learned that WoodLake Technologies will demonstrate
a beacon technology for indoor wayfinding specifically targeting the
blind community that they have developed. Walnut sized beacons will be
placed around an indoor space. Indoor wayfinding is available through
the free RightHear iPhone app in the Apple app store.  The app will
locate the beacons and guide the blind end user to indoor locations,
if the technology works as expected. Beacons have dropped dramatically
in price and the latest beacons are designed to be moved around easily
for events with the ability to quickly change labels.  Feedback to the
developers and city officials will be highly appreciated.  I will be
there definitely to learn more about this emerging technology in a
real life demonstration of its usefulness.  I am extremely curious as
to how useful it is and will the spoken information be an enabling
experience.  I hope others can join me in exploring a new tool for
independence.

Kelly