[il-talk] chicago minutes may 16 third draft

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 7 14:53:09 UTC 2016

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF ILLINOIS CHICAGO CHAPTER MINUTES

MEETING OF MAY 14, 2016

The May 2016 meeting of the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois
Chicago Chapter was called to order by President Debbie Stein at 1:05 P.M.

What's Happening?

Breanna Lillyman started a new job in the past month. Michal Nowicki
finished his first year of law school and will be interning with a judge in
San Diego. Bob Widman turned 70. Ken Schad lost a close relative. Eileen
Truschke announced that Linda Hendel's husband is recovering from surgery.
Howard Wilson will be the first alternate in his weight class in judo at the
upcoming paraolympics. He is hoping to take part in a tournament in
Manchester England. Mary Grunwald is recovering from an illness. She is
attending her first meeting in several months.

Secretaries Report

It was moved and seconded to approve minutes for the March 2016 meeting.
They were approved as presented.

Presidential Reports

National Presidential Release

Mark Riccobono, President, National federation of the Blind reported on the
following items. We were all urged to attend the upcoming National
Federation of the blind convention. It will take place June 30 through July
5. Those wishing to preregister for the convention must do so soon. A new
website for blind parents is under construction. The url will be
www.blindparents.org. This website will include resources for blind parents,
as well as mentoring opportunities and information on the legal rights of
blind parents. Federationists are asked to visit the site and give feedback
on the available resources listed, as well as providing other useful
resources. Send your feedback to parenting at nfb.org. We may also choose to
participate in a mentoring program for current and potential blind parents.
You may share ideas on parenting by calling 410-659-9314, EXT 2466. We have
reached a settlement with the Uber Corporation. Uber drivers will now have
to confirm that they have read the company policy on service animals, and
they must serve passengers with service animals as they would anyone else.
Uber will create a system to allow passengers to complain more easily, and
will deal with each complaint within a week of its filing. Resolutions are
now being accepted for the convention. Please send resolutions to chairman
Sharon Minecki two weeks prior to the convention.

State Presidential Report

National Federation of the Blind of Illinois President Denise Avant reported
on the following. We will have a social event at the National convention on
July 1 at 9:00 P.M. in a lounge on the lower level of the convention hotel.
All four scholarship winners from last year will be attending this year's
National convention. It is anticipated that our caucus will occur on July 2
at 7:30 A.M. The location will be announced. We were all encouraged to
attend the resolutions committee meeting. Jemal will cover the legislative
and Jernigan fund meetings. Steve Hastalis will also attend the legislative
meeting. Denise is now selling Jernigan raffle tickets for $10 each. Those
who buy will be eligible to win a trip to next year's convention plus
$1,000. Tickets will be available through the state caucus. Francisco Chang
will be managing our banquet tickets this year. Reservations are now being
taken for the 2016 State convention which will take place October 28-30 at
the Naperville Marriott Hotel. One may apply for financial assistance for
the state convention through the Chappell-Dennis fund. Applications must be
into President Avant by September 1. Our face-to-face meeting will occur at
the convention hotel on Saturday, August 27. You may call in at 641-715-3273
and use the code "NFBI" (6324). We will be selling instant raffle chances at
the National and State conventions. We will also conduct an online raffle.
Prizes will be as follows. First prize, $500, second prize, $300 and third
prize, $200. The student division is selling laptop bags for $25 each. We
are encouraged to help the students in this effort. Debbie Stein mentioned
that we had a very successful Spring seminar in April. She thanked all of
those who helped to make this seminar a success. We have two Bell Academy
programs this year. The Springfield Bell program will take place July 11-15.
The Chicago Bell program will begin on July 25. Anyone wishing to volunteer
to become a mentor should talk to Patti Chang. Those wishing to submit a
theme can email denise at davant1958 at gmail.com, or call 773-991-8050.

Treasurers Report

Steve Hastalis gave the treasurers report for the first quarter of 2016.
Beginning balance, January 1, $6,634. Income, 812. Expenses, $570. Ending
balance March 31, $6,876. The report was approved as given.

A head count revealed 32 members present.

Committee reports

Fundraising: Ken Staley reported that ticket orders were still being taken
for the White Sox fundraiser on August 6. Orders will be taken through May
15. Howard Wilson thanked everyone who helped to make the Beggars fundraiser
a success. This year's fundraiser is the best one we have ever had with
beggars.

Membership: Robert Hansen suggested that those who are responsible for
making fan out calls be sure to call five to seven days prior to the
meeting.

There was no old business.

In new business, Ken Borst mentioned that there used to be a task force on
economic and employment issues for people with disabilities. An
organization, Disabled Americans Want Work Now (Dawn), is working on getting
a resolution to resume this task force. This resolution has been proposed by
Alderman Maldonado. (R 516-565.) Dawn is hoping to have this resolution
passed in July. We will look at this resolution and discuss it at the next
meeting. Those wishing for more information may contact Rene Luna at
312-640-3108 or 773-530-4299. Denise mentioned the Blast Conference which
will occur May 17-20. A number of people will be speaking including
President Riccobono, John Gordon, Bureau Chief, Illinois Bureau of Blind
Services and denise Avant. We will have a table at this conference as well.

President Stein then went on to talk about the possible closing of the
Chicago Talking Book Center. This topic was initially taken up by the state
board in February. At that time, the board chose not to take a position on
this matter. Since that time, several chapter members have expressed concern
over this possible closing. Debbie pointed out that this subregional library
got a lot of traffic from patrons for the purpose of placing book orders.
Additionally, the library features and maintains a computer lab with
software which makes these computers accessible to blind patrons. Following
much discussion where opinions were stated on both sides of the issue, it
was moved and seconded that the Chicago Chapter support the Chicago Talking
Book Center by asking that it remain open. The motion carried with minimal
descent.

Program

Our program this month featured Rebecca Schmitt a financial consultant
fromTransamerica. The aim of this company is to help individuals become
financially independent. Rebecca mentioned that there is a lack of
information in traditional education concerning how to manage money.
Transamerica works with many insurance companies in order to help its
customers get the best possible insurance premiums for them. Among other
things, people should invest at least some of the money they have as a
result of paying lower tax rates. For example, in 1944, the wealthiest
individuals in the United States paid 94% of their money into taxes.
Presently, the highest tax rate is just over 39%. Those preparing for
retirement should find a way to invest in their own pension. This could mean
among other things, opening a Roth IRA, One should also be mindful of debt,
doing what they can to pay off credit cards each month. One may also put
money into index funds. The key to investing is to diversify a portfolio, by
investing in a variety of financial vehicles. Rebecca invited all of us to
take a business card and possibly make an appointment with her in order to
find out how to improve their financial situation. One may call her at
708-674-1641 Or email her at Rebecca.advisor at gmail.com.

Elections

The following individuals were elected to offices and board seats for the
coming year. President, Debbie Stein. First Vice-President, Patti Chang.
Second Vice-President, Jemal Powell. Secretary, David Meyer and Treasurer,
Steve Hastalis. Board members are Denise Avant, Gina Falvo, Marco Giannotti
and Howard Wilson.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:28 P.M.

Respectfully Submitted,

David Meyer, Secretary.

David Meyer, NFB of Illinois

Coordinator and Channel Administrator, NFB-NewsLine