[il-talk] need help finding technology

Kelly Pierce kellytalk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 20:00:26 UTC 2016

Dear Kayla,

Both a scanner and scanning software is needed to turn a printed book
into a digital file that can be read accessibly with a screen reader.
The most effective and usable scanning software is Kurzweil 1000. It
costs about $1,000.  Other OCR solutions cost less, but they are much
less accessible as well.  What school are you attending?  It might
already have K1000 and a scanner available at a computer lab for
students.  Also, you could use $500 to buy the best flatbed scanner
for OCR and seek the state’s vocational rehabilitation program to
purchase a K1000 license for you.

Kelly